Monster Hunter: World

showtime

8 hours ago, NS922 said:

I thought I was doing pretty well against the Anjanath until it stomped me to death. One wrong move and that's it. I'm using a light bowgun, upgraded once. The hardest part for me is constantly switching between the sling and the bowgun since the bowgun isn't equipped while running. Too many times I'll run to a better spot and then starting shooting sling shots at the monster for a few split seconds before I realize I have to draw my bowgun and by the time I do that I'm not in a good spot anymore and I either have to run away and draw the gun back out, or I get stomped. There are so many little challenges within the challenges that make this game tough. I just fought the Pukei Pukei for the first time and I think I was close to finishing it but the time ran out. Very disappointing but the strength of the challenge is what makes the game great. I spent two hours playing, didn't kill anything, and still had a great time. I'll go on some more expeditions to eventually make some more upgrades. I might try some different weapons out too.

You are braver than I am using the bowgun solo, or most likely more patient.  But I will say this, if you are good with that weapon, you will be everyone's best friend in multiplayer.  You'll be doing a lot of damage without the risk of knocking your teammates down.  

Monster Hunter: World patch updates 1.03 (PS4) and 1.0.0.8 (Xbox One) are now live; patch notes available below.

Major changes for Xbox One:

• Fixed all matchmaking functionality issues for Xbox One players, including “Matchmake”, “Filter Search”, “Squad Sessions Session” and “Respond to SOS”.

Major changes for PS4 and Xbox One:

• Fixed a rare issue with gathering points and bounties not working correctly; points counter were not updating correctly.
  • Fixed two issues with the Hunting Horn:
    • Players would sometimes be unable to dodge-cancel while playing an Encore;
    • The initial shockwave blast when playing a song sometimes wouldn’t happen.

My five year old daughter decided she wanted to play, so she made a character and I pushed it to where expeditions opened up. She just wanted to explore freely. Then she ran across a pack of jagras. She whupped all of them (using SnS). Then a Great Jagras came slithering along and she wanted to give it a try. I told her it would likely be rough, but she wanted to go at it. And she did. She utterly destroyed the Great Jagras within 20 minutes of playing Monster Hunter World for the first time. No deaths, only 3 potions used, heck she is paying close attention to her weapon sharpness xD Now, NSFDaughter has a G Jagras SnS and the Hunter Armor made from Jagras hides upgraded two levels. I'm raising a little hunter doods.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

My five year old daughter decided she wanted to play, so she made a character and I pushed it to where expeditions opened up. She just wanted to explore freely. Then she ran across a pack of jagras. She whupped all of them (using SnS). Then a Great Jagras came slithering along and she wanted to give it a try. I told her it would likely be rough, but she wanted to go at it. And she did. She utterly destroyed the Great Jagras within 20 minutes of playing Monster Hunter World for the first time. No deaths, only 3 potions used, heck she is paying close attention to her weapon sharpness xD Now, NSFDaughter has a G Jagras SnS and the Hunter Armor made from Jagras hides upgraded two levels. I'm raising a little hunter doods.

All of that at only 5 years old?  She's a prodigy.  Great story.

5 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

You are braver than I am using the bowgun solo, or most likely more patient.  But I will say this, if you are good with that weapon, you will be everyone's best friend in multiplayer.  You'll be doing a lot of damage without the risk of knocking your teammates down.  

I don't mind being patient, but I did kill a Kulu Ya Ku with a light bowgun in about the same amount of time it took me to kill my first Great Jagras with a sword and shield. I'll try out other weapons for sure since I've only used 3 so far. I like being able to keep some distance between me and the monsters, so that's why I like the bowgun, even if it maybe a little bit more difficult to manage than melee weapons.

31 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

I went to see my 5 year old niece and her parents last night, and she really likes dinosaurs. So I mentioned this game to her parents as something she could have fun watching on Youtube, since I thought it might be too complicated for a 5 year old to actually play. But after reading this, maybe not? :o

Edited by NS922

2 minutes ago, NS922 said:

I don't mind being patient, but I did kill a Kulu Ya Ku with a light bowgun in about the same amount of time it took me to kill my first Great Jagras with a sword and shield. I'll try out other weapons for sure since I've only used 3 so far. I like being able to keep some distance between me and the monsters, so that's why I like the bowgun, even if it maybe a little bit more difficult to manage than melee weapons.

I went to see my 5 year old niece and her parents last night, and she really likes dinosaurs. So I mentioned this game to her parents as something she could have fun watching on Youtube, since I thought it might be too complicated for a 5 year old. But after reading this, maybe not? :o

I will say I've been getting my daughter into gaming a lot. Switch, PS4, 3DS, she is a little gamer but she is no expert. I expected MH to be way over her head. But SnS is simple enough, and she is quick enough to slowly understand some of the other mechanics (stamina, sharpness, slinger ammo, etc.). Its pretty cool, but maybe not the norm. Gotta be patient with them xD

I keep losing to Legiana.  I have gotten it to limp, and shattered pieces from it twice, so I am close, I keep getting hit with the tail flip ice shot.  I would probably have finished that hunt if I wasn't having so much fun going to the free roam and slugging it out with Rathalos.  I still haven't killed him, but I have broken his face and chopped his tail multiple times.  I also got a Rathian plate tonight... Not as valuable as it was in MH1.

I fought Diablos on the moving mountain's back, I think that was Diablos.  He also showed up in the desert of the wildspire waste when I killed the Rathian.

1 hour ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I keep losing to Legiana.

That monster tends to do a lot of damage to most people because of his ice attacks and people not having much resistance to that.  He was actually pretty tough compared to other monsters, imo.  I was listening to a friend say he was easy, but it was tough for me.

I think some weapons are better against some monsters just because of the monster's style of movement and attack.  I used Dual Blades all the way through, but sometimes I thought it might be easier at times with a Bow or Gunner.

45 minutes ago, showtime said:

That monster tends to do a lot of damage to most people because of his ice attacks and people not having much resistance to that.  He was actually pretty tough compared to other monsters, imo.  I was listening to a friend say he was easy, but it was tough for me.

I think some weapons are better against some monsters just because of the monster's style of movement and attack.  I used Dual Blades all the way through, but sometimes I thought it might be easier at times with a Bow or Gunner.

I had already farmed it for a full set and an ice weapon before the mission.