Monster Hunter: World

showtime

1 hour ago, riceman80 said:

Personally believe Witcher 3 holds that claim. It blew everything out of the water by a mile back in 2015.

Your praise and reading the comments on here makes me really wanna try this out tho. Im pretty much tapped out on D2 and could use something new.

Nah.x

and this game likely won’t win. Great competition this year.

5 minutes ago, showtime said:

I've never touched the weapon, so I can believe it.

It has just enough mobility and a lot of damage. I use the insect glaive a lot too, which is great against flying monsters. I guess that isn't ranked much higher. The long sword is the most popular, and I've tried it out but I never use it.

4 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

There'll certainly be competition from God of War, KH3, Far Cry 5, RDD 2, and possibly The Last Of Us 2 off the top of my head. 

I really hope Kingdom Hearts 3 is good, but there's no telling if that game is even going to come out this year.  Red Dead might be a contender if that game can live up to the massive amount of hype it will have.  Those other games are pretty meh.  I just think this game is so well made and has so much replay-ability.

2 hours ago, showtime said:

Well, first of all.  Witcher 3 didn't come out in 2018, so it's not even a contender for game of the year for this calendar year.  And secondly, Witcher 3 is nowhere near the caliber of this game, imo.

If D2 is Destiny 2 then yes... you should 100% get this game.

You said easiest winner ever. Witcher won over 300 awards across the world on multiple platforms. I was stating that it won game of the year by the widest margin in a calendar year ever.

Yes, Destiny which i waited on until 2 weeks ago to break down and buy. Ive already done everything pretty much and am bored to tears with it.

3 minutes ago, showtime said:

I really hope Kingdom Hearts 3 is good, but there's no telling if that game is even going to come out this year.  Red Dead might be a contender if that game can live up to the massive amount of hype it will have.  Those other games are pretty meh.  I just think this game is so well made and has so much replay-ability.

I have no doubts itll be amazing. They already stated its coming out this year and theyre announcing the official release date at E3. So its coming.

RDD is definitely gonna contend but GOW is my pick for game of the year. The limited amount thats been shown of it looks downright incredible to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, riceman80 said:

You said easiest winner ever. Witcher won over 300 awards across the world on multiple platforms. I was stating that it won game of the year by the widest margin in a calendar year ever.

Yes, Destiny which i waited on until 2 weeks ago to break down and buy. Ive already done everything pretty much and am bored to tears with it.

From what I've heard, Destiny 2 is really bad and a far cry from the first game.  Seems like Bungie really mailed it in and the franchise is dead.  Obviously still has a ton of players, but the quality of the game has gone downhill.

8 hours ago, showtime said:

What comes out this year that is going to be better than this?

Well first of all, what's the best game is just gonna be your subjective opinion. As for what game will likely win GOTY from all the big outlets, God of War/Spider-Man PS4/Red Dead Redemption 2 all have better chances. MH World only wins if all 3 of those flop critically. 

1 hour ago, showtime said:

From what I've heard, Destiny 2 is really bad and a far cry from the first game.  Seems like Bungie really mailed it in and the franchise is dead.  Obviously still has a ton of players, but the quality of the game has gone downhill.

It is. I put 600 hours into Destiny 1, quit D2 after 80 hours. They ruined the franchise in my eyes, even though D1 was panned critically they had such a big and good fanbase and threw everything they did right in D1 out the window to focus on the first 50 hours experience to make it review better, and by putting all their focus on that first 50 hours the end game is super shallow and there's no reason to keep playing. 

One of my best friends just got the game.  I kept telling him to get it when it launched and he kept putting it off.  He bought it late last night and now wants to play.... Um, I'm at HR 47 and he's at like HR 2.  I'm going to have to make a brand new character to play with him, just to kind of preserve the fun.

10 hours ago, showtime said:

Its a cash cow for them. Its simply a super repetitive online FPS with limited replay value. Im glad i waited on Osiris cuz its essentially $20 to do more of the same thing so im not even buying it.

They did better with the campaign in D2 imo but it was still SUPER short, which is sad coming from the company that made fantastic long-term campaigns in the Halo series. I knew this game would be a let down, waited, broke down, and regretted it 2 weeks later. Smh

8 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Its a cash cow for them. Its simply a super repetitive online FPS with limited replay value. Im glad i waited on Osiris cuz its essentially $20 to do more of the same thing so im not even buying it.

They did better with the campaign in D2 imo but it was still SUPER short, which is sad coming from the company that made fantastic long-term campaigns in the Halo series. I knew this game would be a let down, waited, broke down, and regretted it 2 weeks later. Smh

From what I've seen around the internet, there are a crap ton of Destiny 2 players that have gotten into Monster Hunter World because D2 is such a disappointment for a lot of the hardcore crowd.  I saw the other day that MHW was the most downloaded game on PS4 in the month of January (game came out last few days of Jan) and I think that is partly because of the massive influx of D2 players that bought the game. 

You should definitely get this game.  I'm not sure what console you play on or if you have people to play with, but the community is very nice (for the most part) and you should never have an issue finding games to jump into with random hunters.

On 2/12/2018 at 1:06 PM, showtime said:

One of my best friends just got the game.  I kept telling him to get it when it launched and he kept putting it off.  He bought it late last night and now wants to play.... Um, I'm at HR 47 and he's at like HR 2.  I'm going to have to make a brand new character to play with him, just to kind of preserve the fun.

I pop into some lower rank SOS quests once in a while and just tank some damage.  I'll do some stuff like gather honey or bugs.  Let them kill the monster, maybe chase off Rathalos or Anjanath.  I'm rank 12 or 13.  It helps them get the quests done a bit quicker, and learn the game, but I am not beating the quest for them.