Monster Hunter: World

showtime

On 2/12/2018 at 1:06 PM, showtime said:

One of my best friends just got the game.  I kept telling him to get it when it launched and he kept putting it off.  He bought it late last night and now wants to play.... Um, I'm at HR 47 and he's at like HR 2.  I'm going to have to make a brand new character to play with him, just to kind of preserve the fun.

How the hell are you at HR 47??? I've put in 70 hours already and I'm at 10....I got the game 3 days after it came out but certainly you couldn't have done THAT much more in 3 more days?????

I gotta stay out of this thread though. You guys keep name-dropping monsters I haven't seen yet and it's getting a little annoying. xD

39 minutes ago, NS922 said:

How the hell are you at HR 47??? I've put in 70 hours already and I'm at 10....I got the game 3 days after it came out but certainly you couldn't have done THAT much more in 3 more days?????

I gotta stay out of this thread though. You guys keep name-dropping monsters I haven't seen yet and it's getting a little annoying. xD

70 hours and HR 10?  I mean that's fine and all because you seem to be moving at your own pace, exploring and enjoying the game.  Have you even gotten into high rank yet?  

HR 47 is not even high.  There are people who are HR 90+ right now.

1 hour ago, NS922 said:

That's nothing. Some of these Hunter ranks are ridiculous. 

29 minutes ago, showtime said:

70 hours and HR 10?  I mean that's fine and all because you seem to be moving at your own pace, exploring and enjoying the game.  Have you even gotten into high rank yet?  

HR 47 is not even high.  There are people who are HR 90+ right now.

You rank up by hunting, right? I've hunted something like 60 monsters so far, captured about 15. I have spent a lot of time in collecting footprints and doing gathering bounties. I'm not putting all my focus into ranking up.

1 minute ago, Supersuavesky said:

That's nothing. Some of these Hunter ranks are ridiculous. 

That's great for them, very impressive, and I commend them for that. I just hope they don't have responsibilities, or if they do, they somehow find time for them....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NS922 said:

You rank up by hunting, right? I've hunted something like 60 monsters so far, captured about 15. I have spent a lot of time in collecting footprints and doing gathering bounties. I'm not putting all my focus into ranking up.

That's great for them, very impressive, and I commend them for that. I just hope they don't have responsibilities, or if they do, they somehow find time for them....

I think your ranking seems to be capped until you beat the final boss. Then it adjust to how many you've been fighting. That's when the tempered battles come in.

I know two who beat it and immediately jumped to rank 29.

4 minutes ago, Supersuavesky said:

I think your ranking seems to be capped until you beat the final boss. Then it adjust to how many you've been fighting. That's when the tempered battles come in.

I know two who beat it and immediately jumped to rank 29.

Then that's exactly it. I never rush through games. I take my time with them because once I beat the final boss and see everything there is to see in the game, that's about it for me. I'm not interested in competing in the ranking contest past that point. That would get too repetitive and pointless for me.

2 hours ago, NS922 said:

I got it day of release, and I am like 12 or 13.  I'm just playing the game. I didn't even know how to check my rank until I played with Suave last week.  Just beating up on some monsters is what I like.  No doubt that most that post in this thread are better at the game than I am. But I am an old guy as far as video games go, it is just something I do a couple of hours after I eat dinner.

There's no reason to take your time in the game if you're still playing in low rank.  Low rank is just meant to teach you the basics of how to play the game and fight different monsters of various styles.  Killing monsters and grinding low rank is a waste of time because all the parts you acquire are only going to be good enough for the first half of weapon building and you cannot use any for high rank armor.

70 hours at HR 10 seems absurd to me, but if that's how you enjoy the game then by all means.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

There's no reason to take your time in the game if you're still playing in low rank.  Low rank is just meant to teach you the basics of how to play the game and fight different monsters of various styles.  Killing monsters and grinding low rank is a waste of time because all the parts you acquire are only going to be good enough for the first half of weapon building and you cannot use any for high rank armor.

70 hours at HR 10 seems absurd to me, but if that's how you enjoy the game then by all means.

Yeah, I just now made it to high rank. The game essentially has started all over again. I wasn't expecting that. It's cool though, now the routine things are more meaningful again. Keep in mind that all I know about this game is what I've experienced, and I like to keep it that way. I try to avoid any kind of spoilers, no matter how small. So if someone would have told me about this high rank thing beforehand, I would've played at a faster pace. But at the same time, I think it's somewhat of a cool twist that refreshes the game. If I would have known already and went in with the mindset of everything being an extended tutorial, it probably wouldn't have been as fun.

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

How do you get to high rank? I'm 40 hours in and HR rank 6. Just kinda kill random things. Make random armor and randomly upgrade weapons.

You have to progress through the story 'Assignment' missions.  I forget the actual number, but it'll probably be around HR 11 or so.

Okay so, I feel like I need to say this.  I play with a friend and she is HR 15 and didn't know this.  When you're in Astera, if you go to the Provisions Vendor on the first floor you can buy a Powercharm and Armorcharm.  Both of these items increase your attack (powercharm) and defense (armorcharm).  I believe you can get these when you get out of low rank.  Furthermore, when you kill Bazelgeuse (the monster that drops bombs) in high ranked, you can upgrade both the powercharm and armorcharm - into powertalon and armortalon.  Finally, once you upgrade and have both talon's, you can re-buy the powercharm and armorcharm again.  So when you have all four items on you - powertalon, armortalon, powercharm and armorcharm you're looking at about a 15% increase in power and defense, which is pretty big.

Just a note:  You have to keep these items on you in your inventory.  You don't use them, they just sit in your inventory and give you a passive buff.

I'm just typing this because the game literally never tells you about any of this stuff, I don't think.  So brand new players to the series may not know about this.