Monster Hunter: World

showtime

On 1/27/2018 at 3:48 PM, showtime said:

There isn't another game that will be released this year that is better than this one.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have no doubts it's a good game, but I do have my doubts come end of the year that everyone will think that it's the best game of the year.

8 hours ago, Danger said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have no doubts it's a good game, but I do have my doubts come end of the year that everyone will think that it's the best game of the year.

Biggest issue this game will have is that it was released in January.  Like most things in life, we tend to be more enamored/place more importance on things that just happened.  The quality of this game is just outstanding.  The only thing that I could even see that can compete with this is Kingdom Hearts 3, but even then... It might not even come out this year and even if it does come out, that game has to live up to an extremely amount of hype.  Monster Hunter World had insane hype amongst fans of the series and the game delivered at an extremely high standard.

2 hours ago, showtime said:

Biggest issue this game will have is that it was released in January.  Like most things in life, we tend to be more enamored/place more importance on things that just happened.  The quality of this game is just outstanding.  The only thing that I could even see that can compete with this is Kingdom Hearts 3, but even then... It might not even come out this year and even if it does come out, that game has to live up to an extremely amount of hype.  Monster Hunter World had insane hype amongst fans of the series and the game delivered at an extremely high standard.

Nah. It won’t win GOTY. It has no story and the gameplay alone won’t be able to carry it.

7 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Trying to branch out from my beloved hammer and sword and shield. Anyone using a gun lance?

Ive been sticking with mostly the Longsword and find it quite enjoyable.  Just finally started moving to a crossbow, might move to the longbow

10 hours ago, Raves said:

Ive been sticking with mostly the Longsword and find it quite enjoyable.  Just finally started moving to a crossbow, might move to the longbow

I've tried lightbow gun and bow. I had a preference for bow but find the whole ammo thing tedious. I should definitely give long sword or great sword another attempt, I brushed them off really quickly. I feel like I'll always just end up a braindead hammerbro though. 

6 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I've tried lightbow gun and bow. I had a preference for bow but find the whole ammo thing tedious. I should definitely give long sword or great sword another attempt, I brushed them off really quickly. I feel like I'll always just end up a braindead hammerbro though. 

If you’re using a LBG, you really only need a few types of ammo on any given hunt. What gets annoying is on hunts with 3+ monsters, you have to inevitably re-stock.

After maining GS to HR 49, I’ve been using Karma (Odogaron LBG) and it’s a ton of fun to use IMO. It made tempered Kirin incredibly easy. 

EDIT: Regarding your lance/GL post, the game becomes borderline-unfair with a good weapon, proper armor, and skills (late game). If you go on YouTube you can see guys just poking tempered Kirin to death while blocking shots that’ll normally OHKO any other user. 

Edited by Yin-Yang

On 2/28/2018 at 9:18 PM, showtime said:

You're right.  Some boring linear crap like God of War or The Last of Us 2 will probably win.

Just because you don’t like them doesn’t make them boring. You overate this game because you’re a fan of the series; no need to tear down others just to hype it up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Supersuavesky said:

Just because you don’t like them doesn’t make them boring. You overate this game because you’re a fan of the series; no need to tear down others just to hype it up.

Um, it's my opinion.  I don't need to hype this game up above a recycled game like The Last of Us 2.  I mean, I played The Last of Us and if the second game is anywhere near the first then meh.  I'm not tearing anything down.  It's the same recycled Naughty Dog formula and it's a shame something like that would be game of the year.  But I did agree with you about it winning over this game since that one has a story to it.

I played this last night for the first time in a while.  All of my friends just quit playing this because it was too difficult for them, which sucks.  I was just jumping into random games helping some lower rated players beat some monsters they were stuck at.  I'll play some more for real this weekend.