Monster Hunter: World

showtime

1 hour ago, showtime said:

You mean selling armor you're not using?  Eh, you could keep it.  Certain armor parts are really good with certain weapons.  I went back and sold all my low rank armor and some high rank armor that I know I'll never use.

I have so many Nergigante pieces.  Like a crap ton.  I made the final DB's - Decimation Claws and I could make his full armor set and still have a crap ton of parts left.  I haven't sold any, but maybe I should.  I have like 9 Nergigante gems just sitting in my box that can't be used for anything.

I mean sell everything except my max level weapons, then "restart" with the same character.  Do low level quests with Iron Gunlance I and leather armor, for example, but I can't get to Iron Gunlance II without mining 2 iron.  Once you get to a certain point, it is too easy to jump ahead.  Just looking at the materials, I can make, or almost make, all of the end game gun lances and I have never used one.  To me, this game is the most fun when I am grinding to get the materials to get the next upgrade I want.  For example, the "Barroth Blaster I" is a gunlance that I need 2 Barroth Claw+ (and other stuff).  Maybe I work with the gunlance and I beat HR Barroth, but I only got 1 +claw.  I will have to do it again if I want to upgrade my weapon.  I like that more than, now kill another Rathalos, but now he has 150% HP.

[edit, add] But I might keep some Xeno armor, just in case I want to jump back into a big quest too.

Edited by DavidatMIZZOU

@DavidatMIZZOU

What about farming tempered monsters and getting Streamstones?

Yes, you can make the weapons, but what about augmenting them?  

• Streamstone shards
  • Streamstones
  • Gleaming Steamstones
  • Warrior Steamstone
  • Hero Steamstone

You can upgrade armor and weapons with these Steamstone's.  For example, you can upgrade your weapons attack, affinity, add defense to your weapon, add decoration slots and even put life steal on it.

Have you done any or all of that yet?  Being able to simply make the weapons is literally nothing and something anyone who plays through the game's 'story' can do.

I know a guy who has put in over 250 hours into the game and still has not gotten the Dual Blades Warrior Steamstone.

5 minutes ago, showtime said:

@DavidatMIZZOU

What about farming tempered monsters and getting Streamstones?

Yes, you can make the weapons, but what about augmenting them?  

• Streamstone shards
  • Streamstones
  • Gleaming Steamstones
  • Warrior Steamstone
  • Hero Steamstone

You can upgrade armor and weapons with these Steamstone's.  For example, you can upgrade your weapons attack, affinity, add defense to your weapon, add decoration slots and even put life steal on it.

Have you done any or all of that yet?  Being able to simply make the weapons is literally nothing and something anyone who plays through the game's 'story' can do.

I know a guy who has put in over 250 hours into the game and still has not gotten the Dual Blades Warrior Steamstone.

No, I have not.

I plan on keeping my high rank weapons, I just want to work my way up from the bottom with each of the weapon classes.  I think I will be a better hammer user if I work my way up from the bottom with the hammer rather than start off with the best hammer.

On 2/17/2018 at 2:59 PM, showtime said:

One thing for newer players, this game has like 10+ different mantle's/boosters you can use.  If you play solo, the Vitality Mantle is really good.  If you want to farm and get tons of money the Bandit Mantle is what you need.  I have a friend who has put in about 60 or so hours and was still using the Ghillie Mantle.

Yeah I just started playing, I don't have internet yet so playing it solo, but where do you get the mantles?  I seem to be having a hard time as I'm like HR3 or something like that still, only about 18 hours of actual play haven't progressed far as I was trying to get gear, just finally got to the West Wildspire or wahtever it is.

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Yeah I just started playing, I don't have internet yet so playing it solo, but where do you get the mantles?  I seem to be having a hard time as I'm like HR3 or something like that still, only about 18 hours of actual play haven't progressed far as I was trying to get gear, just finally got to the West Wildspire or wahtever it is.

Talk to the guys in town.  If they have an exclamation mark over their head, they will give you a quest, I think the armorer gives a lot of these quests.

As for HR, it isn't that big of a deal.  It just means you can get harder quests that give better gear. It will come in time.  Have fun at the low levels too.  After I finish lunch here, I am going to sell my crafting materials and start over with a weapon I haven't used yet.  Hunting monsters is fun!

4 hours ago, Raves said:

You get them as you play through the game, I wouldn't worry about the mantles right now.  I was just posting that incase someone didn't know about it.  The game doesn't tell you about a lot of stuff.  I want to say there are 16 different mantles/boosters you can own.

14 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

@DavidatMIZZOU, sorry dude, I didn't even realize that was you earlier, lol. I was just clearing some unfinished low rankers.

No worries, that is what I figured.  Did you like my awesome leather outfit and Hunter Knife II?

I did the restart thing.  I hop between using that set-up on low rank stuff and put my other gear back on and do high rank stuff.

At least I got a couple of the mushrooms to help!

5 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

So i've just seen little posts and screen caps from this game since it came out, but i know nothing about it. What's it like and why are people going crazy over it? Looks fun

You said it yourself.  This game is a lot of fun.

Does anyone know, which is better, higher damage or higher elemental affinity?

I want to make a poison sword and shield.  There are two routes to go:

Pukei-Pukei tree:  ends with lower attack, but higher element

Rathian tree:  ends with higher attack, but lower element

I don't understand what the value of the element represents.  I assume that, like attack, higher number is better.  But does it do that much elemental damage?

1 hour ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

You said it yourself.  This game is a lot of fun.

Lol well yeah, lots of games are fun and don’t get this amount of attention. I was looking for specifics lol

What game or games is it most similar to?

Edited by domepatrol91

1 hour ago, domepatrol91 said:

Lol well yeah, lots of games are fun and don’t get this amount of attention. I was looking for specifics lol

I guess the best way to describe it is a mix of the grind of getting better gear of an RPG and the action of an old school beat-em-up, or maybe a fighting game.  And it is a nearly constant boss fight.