Monster Hunter: World

showtime

4 hours ago, Raves said:

I've never played any Monster Hunters before, any suggestions for one to pick up that I can play on the PC?

To my knowledge, there hasn’t been one yet. Monster Hunter: World will be their first PC title and the release date hasn’t been announced.

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

To my knowledge, there hasn’t been one yet. Monster Hunter: World will be their first PC title and the release date hasn’t been announced.

Should I jsut jump in on MHW then for PS4 after I move and get my stuff setup?  What kind of game is it, anything it might be comparable to?

Just now, Raves said:

Should I jsut jump in on MHW then for PS4 after I move and get my stuff setup?  What kind of game is it, anything it might be comparable to?

Nothing I’ve played compares, tbh. But my gaming history isn’t overly large and pretty select (FPS, RPG, sports). 

The PC release date has only been described as “significantly” behind the one for consoles, so if you really want to play, you might want to get a console version. 

As for the game itself, I’ll run through things a bit. The way you advance is by doing quests through one of five (?) maps. Each quest will involve either hunting a monster (or multiple) or gathering some sort of item(s). The “campaign” is more just cut scenes that give you a loose plot to follow as you progress through the quests. Complete the quests and the story progresses, then you get to the next rank of quests for you to complete. You can solo them all if you choose or you can play online with up to 3 others on any given quest. 

Your character doesn’t have any stats on their own, those will solely come off of armor and weapons (and decorations/items used). Different types of material (monster items, metals) will give you access to different weapons and armors. There’s a pretty wide selection of weapons for you to choose from (big and heavy like great swords/charge swords, quicker and faster ones like sword & shield/dual blades, ranged weapons like bows/bowguns, and more). 

You’ll do some grinding in this game - if you can’t stand that, then you may want to look elsewhere. I would say World is definitely more user friendly and less focused on gathering/grinding as previous MH games, but those are definitely present. One’s experience and knowledge typically count for a lot more than best possible armor/weapon set. 

You may want to watch some gameplay videos if you’re curious how the game is. You’ll only get so much, but it’ll show you better than I can explain. 

20 minutes ago, Raves said:

Combat is a little dark souls like: AKA positioning and dodging are key.

It's just a large scale grind game. So many things to do and collect with more on the way.

8 hours ago, Supersuavesky said:

PS4?

Yes sir, HR 13. Down for pretty much whatever when I’m on.

EDIT: Strike what I said earlier, Nerg is pretty easy as long as you avoid one attack.

Edited by Yin-Yang