Monster Hunter: World

showtime

16 hours ago, showtime said:

70 hours and HR 10?  I mean that's fine and all because you seem to be moving at your own pace, exploring and enjoying the game.  Have you even gotten into high rank yet?  

HR 47 is not even high.  There are people who are HR 90+ right now.

Actually I'm 49.  I have no clue why I kept saying 47 haha.

Also, I was reading around and there are people who are apparently into the 300+ range.  Think about that.... HR 300.... Um, lol.

People have no idea of what proper etiquette is in this game still.  People who are Dual Blade users running to the head a monster who is knocked down when someone on the team has a hammer.  People running to the same spot and knocking teammates around.  A gunner firing projectiles and constantly hitting teammates with them.  I could go on and on.  

Beating the assigned quests jumps the heck out of your rank.  I went from 14 to 44 from completing two quests.  

As for etiquette, I have found that most people are pretty good.  My biggest problem is when I am using dual blades and I have to jump out of combat to heal, I often jump in front of a gunner. I have very rarely encountered someone hitting me with the big upswing and sending me flying.  I noticed that a couple of times with the duals that I would get my teammates, I try to stop when I hit them.  

On 2/15/2018 at 11:51 AM, showtime said:

Okay so, I feel like I need to say this.  I play with a friend and she is HR 15 and didn't know this.  When you're in Astera, if you go to the Provisions Vendor on the first floor you can buy a Powercharm and Armorcharm.  Both of these items increase your attack (powercharm) and defense (armorcharm).  I believe you can get these when you get out of low rank.  Furthermore, when you kill Bazelgeuse (the monster that drops bombs) in high ranked, you can upgrade both the powercharm and armorcharm - into powertalon and armortalon.  Finally, once you upgrade and have both talon's, you can re-buy the powercharm and armorcharm again.  So when you have all four items on you - powertalon, armortalon, powercharm and armorcharm you're looking at about a 15% increase in power and defense, which is pretty big.

Just a note:  You have to keep these items on you in your inventory.  You don't use them, they just sit in your inventory and give you a passive buff.

I'm just typing this because the game literally never tells you about any of this stuff, I don't think.  So brand new players to the series may not know about this.

Yeah, I just found that today... should have checked FF first haha!

On 2/15/2018 at 9:29 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

How do you get to high rank? I'm 40 hours in and HR rank 6. Just kinda kill random things. Make random armor and randomly upgrade weapons.

Beat the assigned quests.  Word of advice, don't spend too much time looking for the best armor at low rank, the high rank armor you will get is all immediately better.  Just use what you need to get through it.  

Some of your weapon upgrades will need low rank drops along the way.  I decided to try a bow, and the one I wanted had me searching for some low rank hunts on the SOS menu for a while.  It will probably happen again with other weapons.

Edited by DavidatMIZZOU

One thing for newer players, this game has like 10+ different mantle's/boosters you can use.  If you play solo, the Vitality Mantle is really good.  If you want to farm and get tons of money the Bandit Mantle is what you need.  I have a friend who has put in about 60 or so hours and was still using the Ghillie Mantle.

So for those who don’t know your hunter rank is capped at certain points.

For most of the game it progresses with the story but after the credits it moves at certain points.

14-29. Then it locks until you do the tempered Bazelgueese quest.

29-49 Tempered Kirin. Which is f’ing ridiculous.

26 minutes ago, Supersuavesky said:

So for those who don’t know your hunter rank is capped at certain points.

For most of the game it progresses with the story but after the credits it moves at certain points.

14-29. Then it locks until you do the tempered Bazelgueese quest.

29-49 Tempered Kirin. Which is f’ing ridiculous.

I don't think those caps numbers are locked in.  As @DavidatMIZZOU said, he went from 14 to 44.  I've also seen people at HR 25, for example.  But yes, your overall point is correct.  So people who are at HR 11 right now, you're on pace to be with everyone else.

I may have jumped from 14 to somewhere in the 20s.  I beat the elder dragons, then the Bazelgueese, I am 44 now though.  The tempered Bazelgueese was nasty.  I had to get a bow made up, I was getting killed way too easily trying to melee with it.  Somehow, when I beat that quest, a guy survived with dual blades.  When I tried that, it was just me running away and then getting killed when I tried to help out at all.

I am kind of thinking about maxing the rest of the dual blades that I want, then selling all of my materials and starting with the base level of other weapons.  I basically started using a bow with the Legia Snowfletcher (I wanted an ice weapon), which is a level 8 tier weapon.  It helped me beat the stupid Bazelguese quest, but that was kind of cheap.  Maybe I will keep all the really pain in the *** difficult to get stuff, but sell all of the normal fangs, ores, bones, etc.  There are investigations, and you can take a low rank SOS and stay in an expedition to gather the needed materials.  I am sure I have 86 med monster bones, but when I was HR4 and really wanted that next upgrade trying to find it was tough.  To me, that is a very fun part of the game.  

Also, I don't want a tempered Kirin.  The normal one was bad enough.  No me gusta. 

I can't use bow or gunner.  To me, those weapons are super strong and need to be toned down.  And it's not a fun playstyle for me to be always at a distance.  I'm melee only.  IMO, once you play the game enough and understand what your weapon does, anyone can be great with a bow.  You just sit back, do a crap ton of damage and you barely take any damage yourself - it's even easier if you bow with other players because there will be plenty of time where the monster won't even target you.

54 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I haven't decided if I want to store my armor when I start from scratch with weapons.  I will use my skull helmet, because it looks like Skeletor, but I don't know if I should sell all armor and start completely blank, or just keep it in the storage.

You mean selling armor you're not using?  Eh, you could keep it.  Certain armor parts are really good with certain weapons.  I went back and sold all my low rank armor and some high rank armor that I know I'll never use.

I have so many Nergigante pieces.  Like a crap ton.  I made the final DB's - Decimation Claws and I could make his full armor set and still have a crap ton of parts left.  I haven't sold any, but maybe I should.  I have like 9 Nergigante gems just sitting in my box that can't be used for anything.