Super Bowl LII - Patriots vs Eagles - What year is it?

Deadpulse

14 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

It's rumored that Butler was caught out partying, then missed curfew, and was caught with weed on him.

Take that with a huge grain of salt at this point though, entirely rumor right now.

It's the SB though, even if the above was true, you don't throw away a championship to prove a point to a guy that won't even be back next season.

I'm usually fully in the "In Bill we trust" group....but this time I literally have zero explnantion for sitting Butler that would make sense. 

It doesn’t matter if he’s back here next season tho. What precedent does that set going forward for players that will be with the team next season?

Belichick always does what he believes to be the best move for the football team, both present and future. Now, I don’t always agree with them and sometimes they’re extremely head scratching...but his track record speaks for itself. 

26 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

It doesn’t matter if he’s back here next season tho. What precedent does that set going forward for players that will be with the team next season?

Belichick always does what he believes to be the best move for the football team, both present and future. Now, I don’t always agree with them and sometimes they’re extremely head scratching...but his track record speaks for itself. 

Then sit him for a QTR or a half....he cut off his nose to spite his face. 

He looks bad here and people will always remember this with him.

The only person he really hurt here was himself. 

8 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

Then sit him for a QTR or a half....he cut off his nose to spite his face. 

He looks bad here and people will always remember this with him.

The only person he really hurt here was himself. 

Gonna be a long time before most of us forgive him over this.

2 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

It's rumored that Butler was caught out partying, then missed curfew, and was caught with weed on him.

Take that with a huge grain of salt at this point though, entirely rumor right now.

It's the SB though, even if the above was true, you don't throw away a championship to prove a point to a guy that won't even be back next season.

I'm usually fully in the "In Bill we trust" group....but this time I literally have zero explnantion for sitting Butler that would make sense. 

I know Belichick runs a tight ship and to his credit his team seems to have fewer off the field issues but come on.  This is the Super Bowl.

0% of Belichick's rationale should have been off the field issues. 

I remember when he benched Wes Welker back in 2010 Division round playoff game against the Jets for the first series, which essentially lasted the entire first quarter due to his attempt to be funny during an interview, that some people deemed to be insulting.

14 minutes ago, everlong said:

We're going to need more than just Hightower to get the defense back on track.

We barely lost with one of the worst defensive performances the Belichick era has ever seen.

Hightower is in and we very arguably win that game. He's a HUGE piece to that defense. 

13 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

We barely lost with one of the worst defensive performances the Belichick era has ever seen.

Hightower is in and we very arguably win that game. He's a HUGE piece to that defense. 

Jason Peters, Carson Wentz, Jordan Hicks (also his capable backup Joe Walker), Darren Sproles all say hi.

Injuries are a part of the game. 

In 2007 we had one of the best rosters ever assembled. It doesn’t matter if you barely lose, a loss is still a loss. The point still stands though that they should be able to contend next season but injuries are part of the game and we will most likely lose players again next season and so does every other team. 

31 minutes ago, Danger said:

Jason Peters, Carson Wentz, Jordan Hicks (also his capable backup Joe Walker), Darren Sproles all say hi.

I wasn't implying that the Eagles didn't have injuries....I was replying to the poster that acted as if getting Hightower back next season makes no difference.

The Eagles were missing pieces and their starting QB, yes, but their backup played just as good as Wentz during the season in the post season as well. 

35 minutes ago, Danger said:

To be fair, Sproles, Peters, and Wentz really weren’t going to do all that much more than the replacements did in their stead...

And in regards to next season, two of those guys likely won’t even be on the team (not that this hurts the team much at all).

But it’s moot, given that the discussion wasn’t that the Pats had more total/more significant injuries. It was that Hightower’s injury won’t or wouldn’t have mattered.

Archived