Super Bowl LII - Patriots vs Eagles - What year is it?

Deadpulse

3 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

But but PPG though lol. This defense is bad and has been for awhile now 

Dude to be completely fair you had the 4 and 5 defense in ppg who were like .1 apart play tonight and both got slashed. 33 and 41. Highest amount of yards ever in a Super Bowl. Neither defense should get credit tonight 

I had a lot of money on the Pats last night so I was on the bandwagon and I'm not coming in here to troll but here are some observations from the game:

Gronk and Brady are unbelievable.

What are the Patriots doing on defense? You have the GOAT QB, the GOAT TE and a very nice supporting case of players in Hogan, Amendola, Cooks, White, etc. Why on earth are you fielding a defense that consists of no depth, no namers and washed up players? Brady losing the super bowl but having 500+ yards and 3 TDs is sad. They did a good job scheming the D all year long in the reg. season but in these games you need to have talent out there.  

55 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Dude to be completely fair you had the 4 and 5 defense in ppg who were like .1 apart play tonight and both got slashed. 33 and 41. Highest amount of yards ever in a Super Bowl. Neither defense should get credit tonight 

To be completely fair one got slashed by the GOAT and the other by Nick Foles.

Just now, mission27 said:

To be completely fair one got slashed by the GOAT and the other by Nick Foles.

To be fair Foles has been a very streaky QB and the Patriots defense was playing the most talented and deep offense in football. So you had the best offense outside of QB vs the best QB. 

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

To be fair Foles has been a very streaky QB and the Patriots defense was playing the most talented and deep offense in football. So you had the best offense outside of QB vs the best QB. 

I know, but if you’ve watched these teams all year and watched the game last night it’s hard not to think the Eagles have a very good defense that was going up against an unstoppable force in Brady.  He made so many incredible throws into coverage.

All the respect in the world for Foles and Pederson, but we were missing tackles and leaving multiple guys wide open on third down all night.  If you flip the defenses Brady puts up 6 TDs.

4 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I know, but if you’ve watched these teams all year and watched the game last night it’s hard not to think the Eagles have a very good defense that was going up against an unstoppable force in Brady.  He made so many incredible throws into coverage.

All the respect in the world for Foles and Pederson, but we were missing tackles and leaving multiple guys wide open on third down all night.  If you flip the defenses Brady puts up 6 TDs.

I agree, but let's put it this way. If I'm the Patriots defense, I'm ashamed to even look at Brady today. If I'm the Philadelphia defense I'm bowing down to Foles and every offensive player near me.

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I agree, but let's put it this way. If I'm the Patriots defense, I'm ashamed to even look at Brady today. If I'm the Philadelphia defense I'm bowing down to Foles and every offensive player near me.

Agreed.  Foles really bailed a lot of people out.  Such a weird career he’s had.  I wonder where it goes next.

I expected Philly's O to thrash our D.  Foles or not.  Nick has had some really solid games up there.  What I was more impressed with was how our O did.  I though it was going to be a brutal Brady-on-his-back all game kind of thing and getting down by 3 scores or something.  

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Yeahhh if I was on that D I think my pride would be hiding in my shoes for a few days.  But you play as a team, you lose as a team.  There was a stretch there where the O kind of crapped itself during the season so... but man, losing after the O puts up that kind of game, and losing Cooks?  Impressive.  That's one thing that's making me not feel too too sullen.  TB12 balled out.

6 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

I had a lot of money on the Pats last night so I was on the bandwagon and I'm not coming in here to troll but here are some observations from the game:

Gronk and Brady are unbelievable.

What are the Patriots doing on defense? You have the GOAT QB, the GOAT TE and a very nice supporting case of players in Hogan, Amendola, Cooks, White, etc. Why on earth are you fielding a defense that consists of no depth, no namers and washed up players? Brady losing the super bowl but having 500+ yards and 3 TDs is sad. They did a good job scheming the D all year long in the reg. season but in these games you need to have talent out there.  

Basically, a bunch of guys who were supposed to start for our defense either flamed out (Kony Ealy), got hurt (Hightower, Rivers), retired (Ninkovich), or regressed heavily (Branch, Butler).  All of that hitting at once really destroyed the defense.  I think the no names and coaches actually did a pretty good job getting as far as they did.  We were all hoping they could hold it together one more game, but it just wasn't the case.  

6 hours ago, everlong said:

Because whenever we do get talent on defense, Belichick gets rid of them because they farted during a meeting or whatever.

Tbh people need to get over the Jamie Collins trade.  We won a Super Bowl a few months after that trade and used the pick (after swapping with NO to get Cooks) to draft Deatrich Wise, who had a better season than Collins and doesn't cost $50 million.  I'd say that's a win win.

In the past 12 months we've also spent big money on a Pro Bowl cornerback and re-signed the best player on our defense to a long term deal.  Its not like Bill is purposefully jettisoning talent to prove how smart he is.  He is doing what he has to to manage the cap and field the best team he can.  It wasnt his choice for a bunch of guys to get hurt, retire, regress, etc.  It happens. 

9 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Basically, a bunch of guys who were supposed to start for our defense either flamed out (Kony Ealy), got hurt (Hightower, Rivers), retired (Ninkovich), or regressed heavily (Branch, Butler).  All of that hitting at once really destroyed the defense.  I think the no names and coaches actually did a pretty good job getting as far as they did.  We were all hoping they could hold it together one more game, but it just wasn't the case.  

Also add to the flame out list David Harris, who stuck around but made no impact this season. 

I'd argue the only players on our pre-season projected starting 11 who came close to living up to expectations were McCourty and Chung.  If guys like Van Noy and Wise hadn't stepped up we'd have been in deep deep trouble. 

34 minutes ago, DR43 said:

When the defense was giving up so many points, why didn't Belichick put Butler in?

How much worse could he have done?

It's rumored that Butler was caught out partying, then missed curfew, and was caught with weed on him.

Take that with a huge grain of salt at this point though, entirely rumor right now.

It's the SB though, even if the above was true, you don't throw away a championship to prove a point to a guy that won't even be back next season.

I'm usually fully in the "In Bill we trust" group....but this time I literally have zero explnantion for sitting Butler that would make sense. 

Archived