Eagles vs Patriots SBLII GDT

Nabbs4u

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

You do realize that the source you used has an overall methodology that predicts the Patriots winning?

You're missing the point again...

We're talking about the Patriots defense.

Sure, 538 has them winning. That's independent of everything we've been talking about for the past few pages.

But ok, discount everything there and how it essentially negates a lot of your points about the Patriots defense just to point out that their methodology has the Pats winning. That's one way to respond, I guess

7 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

You're missing the point again...

We're talking about the Patriots defense.

Sure, 538 has them winning. That's independent of everything we've been talking about for the past few pages.

But ok, discount everything there and how it essentially negates a lot of your points about the Patriots defense just to point out that their methodology has the Pats winning. That's one way to respond, I guess

Okay let’s solve this once and for all. What do you think is more likely:

The Patriots play to the standard of their ppg and the game is roughly around 18.5 in either direction

or

the Patriots play to the standard of their DVOA and get blown out the way the Vikings did? 

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Okay let’s solve this once and for all. What do you think is more likely:

The Patriots play to the standard of their ppg and the game is roughly around 18.5 in either direction

or

the Patriots play to the standard of their DVOA and get blown out the way the Vikings did? 

The 2 parts of your 2nd option don't necessarily go together. 

I think they play to the standard of their DVOA and it's not a blowout like the Vikings game. 

Performance wise, taking everything into account, the Patriots defense is a mediocre unit that definitely can't be relied upon to win a game for the team.

Paired with the elite offense, they are built to be a complimentary piece that is asked to make a couple key stops here and there.

22 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

Performance wise, taking everything into account, the Patriots defense is a mediocre unit that definitely can't be relied upon to win a game for the team.

Paired with the elite offense, they are built to be a complimentary piece that is asked to make a couple key stops here and there.

I wouldn't say they are mediocre. Any defense that finishes in the top 5 in points and has been the most consistent defense in that regards down the stretch can't be considered mediocre. They are really no different than most post 04 Patriots defenses. They give up a lot of yards, but usually tighten up in the red zone and make teams settle for field goals. When you pair that with a great special teams and a great offense that can get out to an early lead they are able to capitalize on it. And yes I'd say they have won several games for the Patriots this year. Only one other team this year held Atlanta to single digits.

I wouldn't say they are as dominant as defenses like the Jaguars, Vikings, and Broncos who when win the majority of the games it's a result of them carrying a poor offense. But the idea that they are some really bad defense is very overblown. They average 366 yards per game this year. 2016 they averaged 326. 2015 they averaged 339. 2014 they averaged 344. 2013 they averaged 373. This isn't really that much of an abnormality. In the 2010's they've always been sort of poor when it came to yards, good when it came to points aside from 2011. I think a lot of people are saying it's alot worse because of the poor start at the beginning of the year and that stigma never went away.

They are a very typical Patrioys 2010 defense. Bad on yards, good on points, bend but don't break, effective in the red zone, benefit off of great field position and their offense putting usually playing a very good game. 

13 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I wouldn't say they are mediocre. Any defense that finishes in the top 5 in points and has been the most consistent defense in that regards down the stretch can't be considered mediocre. They are really no different than most post 04 Patriots defenses. They give up a lot of yards, but usually tighten up in the red zone and make teams settle for field goals. When you pair that with a great special teams and a great offense that can get out to an early lead they are able to capitalize on it. And yes I'd say they have won several games for the Patriots this year. Only one other team this year held Atlanta to single digits.

I wouldn't say they are as dominant as defenses like the Jaguars, Vikings, and Broncos who when win the majority of the games it's a result of them carrying a poor offense. But the idea that they are some really bad defense is very overblown. They average 366 yards per game this year. 2016 they averaged 326. 2015 they averaged 339. 2014 they averaged 344. 2013 they averaged 373. This isn't really that much of an abnormality. In the 2010's they've always been sort of poor when it came to yards, good when it came to points aside from 2011. I think a lot of people are saying it's alot worse because of the poor start at the beginning of the year and that stigma never went away.

They are a very typical Patrioys 2010 defense. Bad on yards, good on points, bend but don't break, effective in the red zone, benefit off of great field position and their offense putting usually playing a very good game. 

I agree, this pretty well sums up BB's talent as a HC, he is a defensive genius who can get by with a defense that lacks stars, by dominating in the red zone both defensively and offensively. IMO, the Eagles are in for a very long day, BB will have studied Foles down to his shoe laces and will design a defense that will attack Foles weaknesses which have made him a career backup most of his time in the league. After all, what has Foles really proved, BB put Jacksonville back into their place and he will do the same to the Eagles.

Your stats clearly show that the Pats are the same old defense they have always been under BB with hardly a blimp to suggest otherwise, but you cannot expect an Eagles's fan to accept reality, their only hope is if Brady is a lot more injured than the Pats are letting on, then they might stand a chance.

Again, IMO, if Brady is even close to being healthy, he will dominate the Eagles defense, end of story!!!

1 hour ago, Pats#1 said:

Perfectly stated

3 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I agree, this pretty well sums up BB's talent as a HC, he is a defensive genius who can get by with a defense that lacks stars, by dominating in the red zone both defensively and offensively. IMO, the Eagles are in for a very long day, BB will have studied Foles down to his shoe laces and will design a defense that will attack Foles weaknesses which have made him a career backup most of his time in the league. After all, what has Foles really proved, BB put Jacksonville back into their place and he will do the same to the Eagles.

Your stats clearly show that the Pats are the same old defense they have always been under BB with hardly a blimp to suggest otherwise, but you cannot expect an Eagles's fan to accept reality, their only hope is if Brady is a lot more injured than the Pats are letting on, then they might stand a chance.

Again, IMO, if Brady is even close to being healthy, he will dominate the Eagles defense, end of story!!!

That he has the highest QBR in his first 3 playoff starts then any other QB in NFL History? Seems to me most Pat's fans are praying he chokes on the Greatness of BB rather then what he's actually done a Football field?

Tom's health is not in question at all. Zero , ZIP Nada. Now whether it remains that way through the 60 mins of the SB and our front 7, remains to be seen. As a Pat's Fan I could see why you hope that remains true.

10 hours ago, CKS97 said:

Tom Brady has 4 Super Bowl MVP’s. Brady as far as I am concerned should only have 3 Super Bowl MVP’s.

No, he should have 4

XXXVIII

XXXIX

XLIX

LI

Ty Law should've been the MVP of Super Bowl XXXVI. I don't know why Deion Branch was named MVP of Super Bowl XXXIX but it should've been Brady.

Archived