Nintendo Switch Thread

Just now, iPwn said:

Also kinda weird to see “pretty much nothing worth playing”. If getting Mario Kart, Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and a ton of enjoyable platformers and local multiplayer games doesn’t interest you, maybe buying a Nintendo product wasn’t the smartest thing you could have done.

Yes, I'm pretty sure people on here told him to wait and not get it too. Oh Tyty, you lovable goofball.

None of those games interest me though because I got all of them on the WiiU lol.

On 5/16/2018 at 4:36 PM, Tyty said:

Pretty disappointed in the switch so far. There's pretty much nothing worth playing and not hearing of anything worthwhile coming out. Hope it's not the Vita all over again 

O.o

This makes me question your taste in games. And for the record, your line of thinking is extremely uncommon based solely on both system and games sales. Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, DKC: tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Skyrim, Doom, Disgea 5, Splatoon, FIFA, NBA2K18, all those stupid Naruto and One Piece games, and tons of new games coming including the Dark Souls remaster, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, a Pokemon title, Starfox, new Zelda already in development, Metroid Prime 4, Wolfenstein 2, Bayonetta 3, new Smash Bros, I don't understand how you see "nothing worth playing and nothing worthwhile coming up". Its nowhere close to being the Vita considering the Vita never found a foothold in its lifetime (saying that as a Vita owner).

1 hour ago, navysaintsfan said:

O.o

This makes me question your taste in games. And for the record, your line of thinking is extremely uncommon based solely on both system and games sales. Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, DKC: tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Skyrim, Doom, Disgea 5, Splatoon, FIFA, NBA2K18, all those stupid Naruto and One Piece games, and tons of new games coming including the Dark Souls remaster, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, a Pokemon title, Starfox, new Zelda already in development, Metroid Prime 4, Wolfenstein 2, Bayonetta 3, new Smash Bros, I don't understand how you see "nothing worth playing and nothing worthwhile coming up". Its nowhere close to being the Vita considering the Vita never found a foothold in its lifetime (saying that as a Vita owner).

Although I think his point goes a little too far hes not exactly wrong. The library of original games for the switch is really small.  The ones highlighted are all playable on other systems and most sooner than they were available on the Switch. I am disappointed at the lack of originality with the Switch. However Zelda & Mario Odyssey are both amazing games almost worth the price of the system alone. 

The one thing the Switch has going for it is it is by far the best hand held gaming console on the market.  You throw in Skyrim, Doom, NBA 2k, and Wolfenstein 2 to play on the go and its a pretty solid system while also being a pretty good plug in console. I would say its lineup of games is by far the worst out of any of the major competitors. 

I want to see Nintendo innovate or like Zelda reinvent some of their games and not just their console. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Although I think his point goes a little too far hes not exactly wrong. The library of original games for the switch is really small.  The ones highlighted are all playable on other systems and most sooner than they were available on the Switch. I am disappointed at the lack of originality with the Switch. However Zelda & Mario Odyssey are both amazing games almost worth the price of the system alone. 

The one thing the Switch has going for it is it is by far the best hand held gaming console on the market.  You throw in Skyrim, Doom, NBA 2k, and Wolfenstein 2 to play on the go and its a pretty solid system while also being a pretty good plug in console. I would say its lineup of games is by far the worst out of any of the major competitors. 

I want to see Nintendo innovate or like Zelda reinvent some of their games and not just their console. 

So I actually feel like the only major difference between the success of the Switch and the failure of the WiiU is Nintendo basically threw a much better marketing campaign for a console that is still inferior for all games except for Nintendo exclusives. They whipped up a huge frenzy (a lot helped by Zelda), and now people are super thrilled to be playing games that they could have played on the WiiU outside of Odyssey.

I feel like years from now, if you want to play Nintendo exclusives, Switch is your only option. Everything else, why would I buy the Switch version? There are some exceptions like Rocket League and a few other games which I imagine will be great on the Switch to complement the PC/PS4/XB1 version. But why would I want to play DOOM on the Switch? That is a game that requires focus and is meant to be played at home, not on a bus or somewhere in public. I'll probably play it on the couch or in another room if I have to share a TV with someone, sure. So it'll be in the same situation as the Wii (huge success) and WiiU (colossal failure) were, people will still want Madden and Call of Duty with better performance.

Really, the Wii-U was killed by poor marketing, a weird gimmick controller that didn't work as well as the two sandwiching gimmick controllers, and a poor job getting games to the console quick.

They're fixing that by getting the best of the Wii-U to the Switch right out of the gate, which makes it appeal more to those who haven't played the Wii-U versions. I mean for someone like me who didn't have. WII-U; I've been able to play Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart, Pokken Tournament, Mario + Rabbids, and a handful of other titles. If you're into online multiplayer, you get Splatoon, Arms, and the like. If you haven't played the Wii-U versions, that's honestly an extremely impressive set of exclusives to come out in 14 months. Nintendo re-releasing their great games that didn't get the attention they deserved on the Wi-U has allowed them to take more time with the Switch first games and still put together a strong set of games. This has really allowed the Switch to pass where the Wii-U failed. The Wii-U didn't have the back catalogue of rereleases to lean on for this start of the console's tenure; the Wii was too wildly popular to make "buy this game literally everyone already played on our old console on our new one instead" work for the lifecycle of the Wii-U.

• Like 2

I think the only difference is the WiiU had no Zelda at release. I don't think anyone knew they can expect the best of WiiU games to get releases fairly fast when the Switch came out. People still bought the console either on a mixture of marketing hype, portability feature (which in my limited anecdotal experience people mainly use it at home like the WiiU), and Zelda. WiiU had failed marketing hype, poorman's portability feature, and no Zelda.

Edited by Mossburg

33 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I don't think anyone knew they can expect the best of WiiU games to get releases fairly fast when the Switch came out.

Oh for sure. I meant that the rereleases of games that a lot of buyers didn’t play makes it seem like there’s a good number of games to play in the first year, whereas the Wii-U felt like there was limited releases out of the gate.

Just now, iPwn said:

Oh for sure. I meant that the rereleases of games that a lot of buyers didn’t play makes it seem like there’s a good number of games to play in the first year, whereas the Wii-U felt like there was limited releases out of the gate.

Yea, at the same point after release the WiiU owners definitely didn't have the same library. But I don't think that played a part in the failure. I think that console already failed by then because it couldn't generate an pre-release excitement and was fighting too much of an uphill battle.

3 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I think the only difference is the WiiU had no Zelda at release.

I'm going to skip the marketing hype angle for the most part, with one caveat here: the Switch had two massive Nintendo titles at launch: Zelda & Mario Odyssey. I think I put in 80-100 hours of getting all the moons (okay almost all (I am not wasting hours on the jump rope thing)) for Odyssey and now drop six to eight hours on Saturday and Sunday with Zelda. Both games are massive in their scope. Nothing equivalent was ever put on the WiiU that I can recall. Maybe Super Mario 3D World?

Once Smash Bros drops, I suspect I'm going to have a lot more problems getting time on the Switch. The only game that was made for the WiiU that I see potentially being unlikely migrating over is Super Mario Maker. If that one comes over in any meaningful way, the WiiU is going to be permanently retired.

The one major problem with the Switch: using SD cards as cartridges. We've already lost Splatoon 2 (much to my irritation). Going forward, I'm buying most of my games online.

Just now, Mossburg said:

portability feature (which in my limited anecdotal experience people mainly use it at home like the WiiU), and Zelda

For me personally, I use the Switch at home, but move to another room away from the TV (yes, with Zelda (previously it was Mario Odyssey)) because the kids have claimed it for Netflix or some other game. You couldn't do that with the WiiU.

Just now, Mossburg said:

WiiU had ... poorman's portability feature, and no Zelda.

I don't know if it was the fact that my kids treated the console badly, but our WiiU's console has connection problems if it is more than 5 or 6 feet away from the base console. Basically you have to sit on the floor right in front of the TV to use it. The fact that it has a screen makes it still usable since you would otherwise have to stare up at the TV like you are in the front row of a movie theater.

The WiiU console was just an oversized Wii mote with a screen built into it. It never was anything close to a portable platform. Battery life for the Switch vs. the WiiU console seems much better too.

Just now, navysaintsfan said:

Well, the Switch had Zelda at launch. Mario came at the holiday season.

Okay, fair enough (we'd gotten ours at Christmas so it felt like it debuted around then). Still, Odyssey was part of the Switch announcement trailer so it was expected as part of the move to the Switch.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally pulled the trigger this past rainy Saturday afternoon, and bought a Switch..  I picked up Breath of the Wild and Odyssey.  Have only gotten around to playing Zelda, so far.  Never really played the series prior, so everything is new to me, but I've really been enjoying it.  Sunk a few hours into it Sat/Sun.  It is more difficult than I was anticipating.   

I struggle with the "X" button.  I have a PS4, 360 for NCAA, and now the Switch... All have X in different locations. Makes for a hell of time jumping between systems, and trying to learn new game mechanics, on the fly lol. 

Edited by jyod21

1 hour ago, jyod21 said:

I finally pulled the trigger this past rainy Saturday afternoon.  I picked up Breath of the Wild and Odyssey.  Have only gotten around to playing Zelda, so far.  Never really played the series prior, so everything is new to me, but I've really  really been enjoying it.  Sunk a few hours into it Sat/Sun.  It is more difficult than I was anticipating.   

I struggle with the "X" button.  I have a PS4, 360 for NCAA, and now the Switch... All have X in different locations. Makes for a hell of time jumping between systems, and trying to learn new game mechanics, on the fly lol. 

First off, welcome! Breath of the Wild is an incredible experience and I'm sure you're gonna love it. The game was more difficult than I thought it would be too, but once you upgrade your hearts and stamina it gets better.

To the bolded part, I played a ton of hours on stardew valley on the switch, and will be getting it for PS4 to play with my gf when multiplayer comes out. I already know I'm going to have to re-map the button (thank you stardew valley for allowing this)

4 hours ago, jyod21 said:

Never really played the series prior, so everything is new to me, but I've really been enjoying it.  Sunk a few hours into it Sat/Sun.

If you're in a relationship and not careful, this will be a common event. And you will have a very angry partner. :D

Does not know this first hand. Nope nope.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Woz said:

If you're in a relationship and not careful, this will be a common event. And you will have a very angry partner. :D

Does not know this first hand. Nope nope.

Haha, I am.  I'm getting married in 2 months, and we've been living together for 2 1/2 years.  It's part of what motivated me to buy the Switch. 

It was on 2 fronts, outside of just wanting one in general:
  The first was that I have a mancave in the basement, and that's where my PS4 is.  Any time I'm downstairs playing, she tries to flush me out of there, lol.  When sitting on the couch with her, messing around on my phone, or playing my 3ds, she doesn't seem to mind as much, I guess because I'm physically present, so I thought the Switch would be a good alternative. 

The 2nd was that she went out of town this past weekend for a friend's baby shower, stopped at a jewelry store, and fell in love with a wedding band that was beyond the original budget.  I told her she could get the ring, and while she was riding that high and out of the house, I went and bought the Switch, so she really couldn't say anything. 

She likes Mario Kart, and easier pick up and play games like that, so I can buy that, so she can feel involved. It's also a decent party game, when people are at the house drinking.  I'm too competitive for her to play most games with me.  She bought Mortal Kombat, thinking we could play it together, until I couldn't help but just kick the **** out of her.  You can only be flawless victory'd and have your spine ripped out so many times.  She didn't really want to play much after that, surprisingly.

Edited by jyod21
  • Like 1