Nintendo Switch Thread

22 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Yep, i'm with you. Not a fan of game mechanics like this unless there is a pretty good balance. Makes collecting weapons unexciting at best and an extreme chore at worse. 

The thing with the broken weapons is that it's baked into the gameplay. You're supposed to use the weapons, break them, then use something else. That goes against what people are used to or want to do (which is to find a favorite weapon or conserve things) but that's kind of how you're supposed to play, by experimenting and using different things. You should almost never find yourself without a decent weapon even if you're constantly changing them. 

TOTK looks like it might make this "problem" less of an issue with the crafting/fuse systems. We'll see. 

25 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

The thing with the broken weapons is that it's baked into the gameplay. You're supposed to use the weapons, break them, then use something else. That goes against what people are used to or want to do (which is to find a favorite weapon or conserve things) but that's kind of how you're supposed to play, by experimenting and using different things. You should almost never find yourself without a decent weapon even if you're constantly changing them. 

TOTK looks like it might make this "problem" less of an issue with the crafting/fuse systems. We'll see. 

And I would argue that BOTW really wasn't built to utilize the weapon breaking mechanics to an extent where its fun and not just frustrating for the sake of frustration. The few games that I see do this right are generally smaller levels with readily available different types of weapons and it's just a crazy grab of weapon to weapon that makes it fun. BOTW doesn't really do that and instead it's just a chore of farming the same club off of bokoblins. IMO I think if it was a less severe system with longer durability's, the ability to craft weapons you previously broke down, or a way to repair weapons it wouldn't be so annoying. 

For an example although not a perfect game "Going Under" makes a much better use of a weapon breaking system. 

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Should we make a separate TOTK thread? Initial chatter is the game is amazing. 

Reveal hidden contents

Sounds like dungeons are back

Probably worth it tbh especially with spoilers lol.

On 4/24/2023 at 10:42 AM, Spartacus said:

And I would argue that BOTW really wasn't built to utilize the weapon breaking mechanics to an extent where its fun and not just frustrating for the sake of frustration. The few games that I see do this right are generally smaller levels with readily available different types of weapons and it's just a crazy grab of weapon to weapon that makes it fun. BOTW doesn't really do that and instead it's just a chore of farming the same club off of bokoblins. IMO I think if it was a less severe system with longer durability's, the ability to craft weapons you previously broke down, or a way to repair weapons it wouldn't be so annoying. 

For an example although not a perfect game "Going Under" makes a much better use of a weapon breaking system. 

I just think its a very poorly designed and implemented mechanic.   The game has enough redeeming qualities to make it enjoyable, but having to constantly pull up the menu and change weapons just took me out of the game and wore on me after awhile.   I still have yet to finish BOTW for that reason.

This is coming from a lifelong Zelda fanboy.

7 hours ago, 43M said:

I just think its a very poorly designed and implemented mechanic.   The game has enough redeeming qualities to make it enjoyable, but having to constantly pull up the menu and change weapons just took me out of the game and wore on me after awhile.   I still have yet to finish BOTW for that reason.

Yep, that was what ultimately did it for me, too.

That and there was no real leveling up. You could add health and stamina, but that was it. It became too much of a chore just to explore.

This is also why I will never play those Elden Ring style games. I'm too old and casual of a gamer for an actual challenge. I just want to play the game without a constant struggle.

13 hours ago, 43M said:

You know you can change weapons with the d-pad, right? It takes like...a second. 

1 hour ago, Lions017 said:

You know you can change weapons with the d-pad, right? It takes like...a second. 

But if you want to get a specific weapon, you either have to cycle through or open the menu.

If you dont mind it, so be it.   But when several  supposedly powerful weapons break after a few hits...it took me out of the game.

• 4 months later...

Bronchoscopy in a few hours (2 hr drive) so I brought my son’s switch just to find every game is locked because no internet access. I don’t have internet access on the highway. PSP never would’ve pulled this ish on me. 

Edited by Ty21

3 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Bronchoscopy in a few hours (2 hr drive) so I brought my son’s switch just to find every game is locked because no internet access. I don’t have internet access on the highway. PSP never would’ve pulled this ish on me. 

What? 

Are you...sure? Do you have a different profile or something? 

I play mine without internet all the time. 

I've never seen or heard anybody have this issue except for the games that require an online checkin, like the retro catalogues. 

30 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

What? 

Are you...sure? Do you have a different profile or something? 

I play mine without internet all the time. 

I've never seen or heard anybody have this issue except for the games that require an online checkin, like the retro catalogues. 

I read it had something to do with it not being my primary switch

• 3 months later...

So I bought the N64 expansion pack on the Switch but after booting it up it surprised me to learn none of the button mapping is correct to play with Joycons. Like I couldnt even figure out how to move/aim/shoot on Goldeneye.

Are the 'new' N64 controllers released the only thing compatible with the N64 expansion games? If I bought Pro controllers does anybody have any insight if those would actually work?

Seems weird they released a whole expansion pack and didnt do any configuration to the controllers to actually make the games playable on the native joycons. Im also reasonably confident I already asked this question so sorry in advance lol

Edited by AkronsWitness

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

So I bought the N64 expansion pack on the Switch but after booting it up it surprised me to learn none of the button mapping is correct to play with Joycons. Like I couldnt even figure out how to move/aim/shoot on Goldeneye.

Are the 'new' N64 controllers released the only thing compatible with the N64 expansion games? If I bought Pro controllers does anybody have any insight if those would actually work?

Seems weird they released a whole expansion pack and didnt do any configuration to the controllers to actually make the games playable on the native joycons. Im also reasonably confident I already asked this question so sorry in advance lol

I mean technically anything's compatible you just gotta map it right in the settings. Various 3rd parties show up as a switch pro controller so you could remap them (there's a couple n64 ones that do this but I don't own any) 

wulff den covers this perfectly.

Which nintendo didn't do so you could buy their controllers/screw dat you figure out a control system that works for you.

• Like 1