Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

The Cardinals claimed linebacker Tanner Vallejo off waivers on Tuesday, getting a player that several other teams wanted — and showing the value of having the first pick in the waiver order.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, a lot of other teams wanted Vallejo: The Jets, Giants, Bengals, Vikings and Chargers all put in waiver claims on Vallejo.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/06/tanner-vallejo-shows-the-value-of-cardinals-having-first-waiver-claim/

I imagine that Sendejo will be cut before the 12th...And it'll be interesting to watch the Griffen situation...whether they renegotiate that before it becomes guaranteed.  I expect the others to all proceed as normal, although there is that minuscule possibility of doing something with Rhodes prior to his salary becoming guaranteed.

Goessling, according to this article, is thinking Everson could possibly be released.  That would be quite a turn of events should it come to pass.  I don't think it'll happen, but it could if he refuses to take a restructure or pay cut.  

Edited by swede700

Griffen wasn’t even a shell of his former self after his mental breakdown. I have a bad feeling that in order to manage his mental health the medication he’ll need to take is going to take away the intensity that made him so good. 

He’s 31, Stephen Weatherly looked very solid in replacement of Griffen, they still have the potential of Bowers, and maybe Mata’afa, and they have a strong track record of developing mid to late round picks. 

It’s sad to say, but it’s probably time to move on from Everson. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Griffen wasn’t even a shell of his former self after his mental breakdown. I have a bad feeling that in order to manage his mental health the medication he’ll need to take is going to take away the intensity that made him so good. 

He’s 31, Stephen Weatherly looked very solid in replacement of Griffen, they still have the potential of Bowers, and maybe Mata’afa, and they have a strong track record of developing mid to late round picks. 

If they do move on from Griffen, DE becomes an immediate first or second round need. Weatherly might be okay but he's only go my one year left on his deal.

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I imagine that Sendejo will be cut before the 12th...And it'll be interesting to watch the Griffen situation...whether they renegotiate that before it becomes guaranteed.  I expect the others to all proceed as normal, although there is that minuscule possibility of doing something with Rhodes prior to his salary becoming guaranteed.

Goessling, according to this article, is thinking Everson could possibly be released.  That would be quite a turn of events should it come to pass.  I don't think it'll happen, but it could if he refuses to take a restructure or pay cut.  

Griffen is a player that I have looked at as a prime candidate for cap savings since sometime in the middle of last season. I do not think that he'll be back on his current contract. If he doesn't agree to an adjustment, I think there is a good chance they cut him. The question is, what kind of adjustment would be team be asking him to take?

The team will want to do more than a simple restructure; it would be a pay cut of some sort. I could see them reducing his salary this year a few million and giving him some amount of guaranteed salary for next year to entice him to take the deal instead of taking his chances in free agency. Maybe change the contract to $8M each of the next two years with $3M of the '20 salary guaranteed. I don't know that he wouldn't choose becoming a free agent on March 15th over that. It could be a tough decision for him.

Or maybe the team just outright releases him without offering a reduced contract like they did with Antoine Winfield.

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I, also, am assuming that medication for his mental health is evening out his emotionality which is effecting how he played after his return.  However, I think Griffen is talented enough and savvy enough to compensate.  I will trust the assessment of the coaches on this one.  I can't imagine how popular the decision to release Everson would be in the locker room.

The Vikings were hailed for their proactiveness when they signed Everson Griffen to a new deal before the 2017 season, locking up the defensive end through the 2022 season even though he had two years left on his existing deal. While the contract did extend the marriage between the Vikings and Griffen on paper, its structure did something else: It guaranteed the Vikings the kind of leverage they could exert over Griffen in the coming weeks.

Griffen’s old deal had him set to make $7 million in 2017 and $8.5 million in 2018, with none of the money in those two seasons guaranteed. His renegotiated deal put an additional $2 million in his pocket for the 2017 season and an extra $1.5 million for 2018, with Griffen getting $6.2 million in cash at the time of the deal’s completion. The deal effectively solidified Griffen’s status for two seasons he was under contract with the Vikings anyway, fully guaranteeing his  2017 base salary and delivering another $5.5 million roster bonus last May. Beyond that, though, it essentially gave the Vikings control of Griffen’s future, and the structure of the contract means a decision on Griffen could be coming in the next month.

Like his 2018 base salary, Griffen’s 2019 base was guaranteed against injury at the time he signed his new deal, and will become fully guaranteed if he’s still on the roster by March 15 (the third day of the 2019 league year). His base for the 2019 season, however, is $10.9 million. The Vikings would face just $1.2 million of dead money charges if they released Griffen, while recouping $10.7 million of cap space.

http://www.startribune.com/everson-griffens-contract-puts-his-status-with-vikings-in-question-for-2019/505413522/

If you have a subscription to the Athletic, I insist that you look at Arif's mailbag...my question about Everson and Kyle was answered...and he had a little different take than most of us have suggested.  Also, I had wanted his insights on future replacements for them, and he answered it.  He had a lot of interesting comments...and I don't mean that in a bad way.  

26 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If you have a subscription to the Athletic, I insist that you look at Arif's mailbag...my question about Everson and Kyle was answered...and he had a little different take than most of us have suggested.  Also, I had wanted his insights on future replacements for them, and he answered it.  He had a lot of interesting comments...and I don't mean that in a bad way.  

spill it, sister.

32 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The part on Kyle was certainly interesting...

26 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't see why we'd keep Rudolph at his current contract. He's just not worth $8 million to a cap starved team.

Because you’re not going to cut him only to create another hole in the offense, and since his contract is the 10th highest paid TE in the NFL and Kyle was a top 10 production TE, it’s going to be difficult to get him to come to the table for a restructure.