Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

47 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

I mean obviously you'd rather get guys to stay for cheaper, but Wolfson has said both Griffen and Rudolph are not interested in restructuring. If that's the case, he's essentially forcing us to either trade him or cut him.

He never said Griffen wasn't, he said that Rudolph wasn't

11 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

Oh my bad. I hadn't seen that tweet. I had just listened to a couple podcasts where he talked about it. 

Yup it was pretty new. And that's a bummer especially when you see the Eagles restructuring every contract they've ever signed, but I'm an advocate for the players. We signed them to contracts and they shouldn't have to give up money if they don't want to. It'd be great if they did, but they shouldn't be expected to. That said, we either need to trade them or release them so they can go get another contract.

7 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Players aren't giving money up in a restructure, players only give up money when taking a pay cut is my understanding.

Yeah I'll let someone smarter than me get into all that. My rudimentary understanding is that a normal restructure can add years and guaranteed money to the back end of a contract which would be what you're talking about. However, I think that's usually what happens for younger players on their second contracts as opposed to aging vets on the downside of their careers. 

16 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Yup it was pretty new. And that's a bummer especially when you see the Eagles restructuring every contract they've ever signed, but I'm an advocate for the players. We signed them to contracts and they shouldn't have to give up money if they don't want to. It'd be great if they did, but they shouldn't be expected to. That said, we either need to trade them or release them so they can go get another contract.

Easier to do that when you win a super bowl. The Vikes didn't make the playoffs, as a veteran, I can see not wanting to give money back. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

A restructure is a restructure, I don't think it matters for aging vet vs. 2nd contract player.

The restructure adds time but gives the player money up front by converting their base salary into a signing bonus.

Gotcha. Appreciate the clarification!