Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

8 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I expect we'll start seeing some moves happen soon.

I hope so. I'm amazed at the Eagles ability to create cap space. Are they just continuing to kick the can down the road? They've cleared like 11 million already with restructures. 

Also any interest in Jamie Collins?

48 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

I hope so. I'm amazed at the Eagles ability to create cap space. Are they just continuing to kick the can down the road? They've cleared like 11 million already with restructures. 

Also any interest in Jamie Collins?

I'm not a contract expert, but I don't think they're pushing things down the road as it seems like they're just converting salary to signing bonuses.

33 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

as it seems like they're just converting salary to signing bonuses.

Which is just pushing things down the road. 

As Pat Kirwan says, signing bonuses are like credit cards. You can give them money now, but eventually you’ll need to pay the bill. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

That is a great analogy.

It's pretty good except if you keep paying minimums on a credit card you have to deal with paying interest that is well in excess of inflation. In the NFL, when you borrow against the future you pay no interest at all even while the salary cap is almost guaranteed to inflate every year of the current CBA and TV deals. Think of the current situation under the CBA and TV deals as an FDIC insured certificate of deposit.

If you ever get a chance to borrow a million dollars interest free when you have an investment opportunity like a CD that is almost guaranteed to have a positive return, a good long-term strategy to to borrow that million dollars, rake in the investment returns for as long as the loan is free and the investment opportunity is a rock solid positive (CBA and TV deals are solid), and then pay back the interest free loan. An even savvier move is to take on acceptable risks for larger potential gains. Stuffing a pile of cash in your mattress will result in you losing big owing to opportunity cost. How many of us had parents that learned investment fear after the great depression and just wanted to bury their money in a safe place rather than invest it? How did that turn out? As the relative value of money decreases through time they had a 100% chance of losing buying power. The 100% risk of that loss is way greater than the loss risk of investing in something with returns that potentially outpace inflation.

On the other hand, you never want to carry a balance on your credit card assuming it charges interest. If you find yourself needing to pay the minimum payment on your credit card stop reading this board immediately and spend your time figuring out how to earn enough money (or cut expenses enough) to repay the balance.

I still can't get mom to put her money into something riskier than a CD. It is sad. At least she isn't carrying a credit card balance. Many of us nowadays do not have defined benefit pensions to stream money to us. We need to be wiser with our resources. NFL teams can be wiser with their resources too. It is the game within the game that gives teams the best chance to field a winning product year in and year out. There is an opportunity cost of not playing the game within the game at all and a huge benefit associated with learning to play it well.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 3

Ryan Boser hinting at something on his Twitter; he’s been connected to things in the past, but who knows. Replied to his own tweet that talks about both Holton Hill and Trae Waynes with a “😞” face. 

Waynes trade? Holton Hill joining Roc Thomas in doing something dumb? Absolutely nothing at all? 

13 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Ryan Boser hinting at something on his Twitter; he’s been connected to things in the past, but who knows. Replied to his own tweet that talks about both Holton Hill and Trae Waynes with a “😞” face. 

Waynes trade? Holton Hill joining Roc Thomas in doing something dumb? Absolutely nothing at all? 

On the last Purple for the Win with Doogie, he mentioned that there was another player with Roc Thomas. They weren't sure if he was also going to be charged, but that there was another player. 

Luke Inman also retweeted a tweet he used in October about Zim telling Hill to get into his office now. 

2 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

On the last Purple for the Win with Doogie, he mentioned that there was another player with Roc Thomas. They weren't sure if he was also going to be charged, but that there was another player. 

Luke Inman also retweeted a tweet he used in October about Zim telling Hill to get into his office now. 

This is why we can’t have nice things. 

37 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

And Boser just retweeted my reply to him mentioning this same thing

If this is what it is, at least it's not a domestic abuse issue or anything like that. I am not totally sure on the rules, but because he was an offender in college this will not go down as his first offense and will likely lead to a suspension right?