Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

On 8/25/2023 at 7:59 AM, VikeManDan said:

This is where my head is at as well. 

Regardless of Lance, I don't think Hall has done enough where he'd warrant protection on the 53.

Now that The 49ers have traded Lance to Dallas, I think The Vikings had better keep Hall on The Final 53, because he has already improved somewhat since The Vikings' coaches have started working with him, and he gives them the possibility of another option to be a low-cost alternative for their Back-up QB position in 2024 (with Mullins' contract ending after this season), and will also give them more flexibility as a possible choice for a low-cost bridge QB, to start, at least the first few or several games of 2024, IF Cousins leaves in free agency, AND The Vikings draft a QB in The first Round, who won't be ready to start until later in the season.

After looking closely at the slow motion on Hall's successful pass plays from The Cards' game, I feel a lot better about The Vikings having not made one of the late offers on Lance.  I liked the way Hall looked upfield and made good, quick decisions, and moved forward in the pocket and adjusted his footwork to get to a stable position to make solid, accurate throws.   He made several very good, on target throws, with zip on them.  And, a few were in tight windows, a few even leading the receiver.  And he looked comfortable in doing that, even under some pressure.

Both players would be projects.  But, it looks to me that Lance needs more work on his game than Hall does (and the chances of both of them being a successful NHL QB seem close enough to make it advantageous to stick with Hall, as he has at least 4 MORE years of low salary after this year as a redshirt year, whereas Lance has NONE after this one (when he surely would not only not play in real games that count, but also wouldn't get many practice reps to help him improve).  In a vacuum, I think I'd give a very slight edge to Lance based on his size and arm.  But the money difference makes it not workable.  The Vikings would have had to take the fifth year option on Lance to have him for a season when he could start out getting 2nd QB reps, and possibly, take over later that season, as the #1 QB, but that is a longshot.  Meanwhile, his 1st season's Cap Hit would be $950,000; BUT, the 2nd season's would be $9 million+, and even with the needed extension to make grooming him in Year1 worthwhile would involve a substantial amount of more committed money.  And even if the contract gives him a more modest raise than a normal 1st Rounder gets, with today's starting QB salary level, it would be committing a LOT more money to a potential bust than it would to Hall on his rookie contract for an additional 4 years.  And Hall has already proven that he's improved in a short time, probably based on the meagre amount of coaching and reps he's gotten from The Vikings staff, so far.  So, I would just run have with that, rather than potentially dropping much more money on someone just based on body type and "perceived upside".  Hall already looks to me like he can, at the very least, be like a "Purdy type", which is a decent NFL back-up QB.  As we move along into the remainder of this season, we'll be able to better guess whether or not he'll be ready to start 2024 or 2025 as The Vikings' "placeholder/bridge QB to start a season for them as the #1, until a highly-touted draftee QB can take over The #1 job.

So, I think Kwesi made the right decision to not try to top Dallas' 4th Round bid.  And, I agree with KOC's sentiment to keep Hall on The Final 53, rather than to try to sneak him onto The Practice Squad, because I'm convinced at least 3 or 4 teams would want to grab him on waivers to groom for eventually taking over their back-up position, and hoping to develop him into a "Purdy type", who can be a bridge QB for them, or that they can later trade off for a 3rd Rounder IF they won't need him.

Edited by Robb_K
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

With the Lowe trade I won't be surprised if they go with 8 OL which will open another spot for another position group.

Brandel has the OG/OT flexibility and Schlottmann has that for OG/OC.

I've thought for awhile that they'll end up going with 8 OL, although I certainly was hoping that it was Oli that would be gone and not Lowe (especially since they had just drafted the guy a year ago.  They'll probably also keep a couple of developmental OL guys on the PS (maybe Sokol again as well as Jarrid Williams). 

Just now, swede700 said:

I've thought for awhile that they'll end up going with 8 OL, although I certainly was hoping that it was Oli that would be gone and not Lowe (especially since they had just drafted the guy a year ago.  They'll probably also keep a couple of developmental OL guys on the PS (maybe Sokol again as well as Jarrid Williams). 

I also thought that Lowe would take over for Udoh after this year as the swing OT. I hadn't considered the possibility of a trade for either Lowe or Udoh. Udoh is the "devil we know", I'm still confident in him filling in at OT for a few games if need be. 

Nice to get the original round draft selection back for Lowe as well. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I also thought that Lowe would take over for Udoh after this year as the swing OT. I hadn't considered the possibility of a trade for either Lowe or Udoh. Udoh is the "devil we know", I'm still confident in him filling in at OT for a few games if need be. 

Nice to get the original round draft selection back for Lowe as well. 

• Like 1

Not sure about the finances but Desmond King was cut, that dude can play boundary corner, slot corner or safety.  I would not mind bringing him in, especially considering Murphy is the only proven CB on the roster.  Blackmon has showed some potential is hurt, Evans is just ok, Booth is not even ok yet, Joejuan Williams has just been ok out there.  Vikings need a corner and with King able to play slot that might help a ton, then could move Murphy around instead of just having him slot only.  

Ward played well last game but was against Arizona, he is versatile but was good going downhill and tackling in the open field, Lewis Cine should take some tips from him maybe.  But still it was Arizona, he did not show up much the other two preseason games.  Roy showed up as well so clearly someone got on those guys and set a fire under them.  

Maybe they keep Jaylin Williams as a 4th CB, he has slot ability as well but still getting a vet would be nice with such a crazy young group.