Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, marshpit23 said:

The overall impatience of this generation is the true epidemic. Immediate gratification runs rampant. But I digress…back to football 

What's with this "back in my day" schtick you've got going? How old are you guys? I'm 47 and Swedish. People used to think I'm stoned because I'm slow. I was the last one in line every time at lunch in high school. I have plenty of experience as a patient man. I've fished many lakes without a bite and watched the paint dry waiting for the world to end. I've read Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time and waited long enough for chatty people to give long Minnesota goodbyes. I'm not about to be lumped in with kids playing madden, but have little patience for climate change deniers OK Boomer? But I digress...back to football.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, babababa said:

What's with this "back in my day" schtick you've got going? How old are you guys? I'm 47 and Swedish. People used to think I'm stoned because I'm slow. I was the last one in line every time at lunch in high school. I have plenty of experience as a patient man. I've fished many lakes without a bite and watched the paint dry waiting for the world to end. I've read Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time and waited long enough for chatty people to give long Minnesota goodbyes. I'm not about to be lumped in with kids playing madden, but have little patience for climate change deniers OK Boomer? But I digress...back to football.

I have no Shtick. I’m ~ 10 years your senior. My opinion was not directed towards you. I’m also Swedish, Minnesotan and have fished many lakes. In fact, I live on a lake and suck at fishing lol. Why so defensive? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

I have no Shtick. I’m ~ 10 years your senior. My opinion was not directed towards you. I’m also Swedish, Minnesotan and have fished many lakes. In fact, I live on a lake and suck at fishing lol. Why so defensive? 

I'm having a laugh. I couldn't figure out why you guys were going on about the kids. Cool that you're Swedish. Now that we know we both drive slow we can take it easy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

The overall impatience of this generation is the true epidemic. Immediate gratification runs rampant. But I digress…back to football 

We’ve all seen the statistics for how often a team starts 0-3 and makes the playoffs. This is also a decision that has benefits to making sooner rather than later.

22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Statistics that are outdated with the addition of a 17th game, and a 7th playoff seed. 

That's the key point.  With 3 wildcards, even with a crappy 0-3 start, there's still a good chance that they'll be in the running at the end.  The loss to TB hurt, but the loss to the Chargers is pretty irrelevant when it comes to tiebreakers.  The loss to the Eagles was likely regardless and they likely won't be fighting with them for a wildcard...they'll be fighting with the Cowboys and Commanders out of the East. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's the key point.  With 3 wildcards, even with a crappy 0-3 start, there's still a good chance that they'll be in the running at the end.  The loss to TB hurt, but the loss to the Chargers is pretty irrelevant when it comes to tiebreakers.  The loss to the Eagles was likely regardless and they likely won't be fighting with them for a wildcard...they'll be fighting with the Cowboys and Commanders out of the East. 

The Cowboys might be a wild card team, but they will have a much better record than the Vikings.

8 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

The Cowboys might be a wild card team, but they will have a much better record than the Vikings.

I have no real doubt about that either, but ultimately, with the wildcards, they'll still be in that same running.  The Cowboys don't have a cupcake schedule either and I don't trust Prescott.  As good as they looked in the first 2 weeks, they looked the complete opposite last week.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Yes, there is still a chance the Vikings could come back and a have a competitive season, but I think the odds are against it. I don't like giving up early on the season, but like I said, there are benefits to making the decision as early as possible.

They have until Week 8 to ultimately make the decision.  If they manage to fall to 0-6 or something like that, that would likely change my mind, but it's still far too early for me to make that call.  

11 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Yes, there is still a chance the Vikings could come back and a have a competitive season, but I think the odds are against it. I don't like giving up early on the season, but like I said, there are benefits to making the decision as early as possible.

I don't like the idea of giving up on the season after 3 games, 8 games or 17 games.  You can perform the autopsy after the season is over.  Sure, the Vikings might lose out on some extra picks, but...at least according to a couple of guys on this forum, Kwesi would blow this picks anyway! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

They have until Week 8 to ultimately make the decision.  If they manage to fall to 0-6 or something like that, that would likely change my mind, but it's still far too early for me to make that call.  

I think the Panthers are a team we need to beat if there is any hope. I also think this is a situation where you may get a short window where a team is interested. Like with the Jets,  they could either fall out of the playoff race where they don't think a trade is worthwhile or find someone who is playing at high enough level where again the trade is not worthwhile.