NFL Ends Partnership With NIH

Heimdallr

3 hours ago, drd23 said:

Of all the sports to be discussed to take over from the NFL, this one was not one I expected :D

I just watched some highlights, the announcers are great.

*Dude gets leveled on a crack-back block* "Oh he's gotta be more aware theres a bit of a bump coming, especially that close to the footy!"

*Two huge dudes running opposite directions and jumping for the same ball collide and fall into a heap* "Oh no! A couple o' toughies!"  I hope "toughy" is an actual position.

I don't think the NFL is heading in the right direction, no pun intended. They're gonna need to make some serious rule or equipment changes. Likely a bit of both.

I don't think them ending this partnership really registers with casual fans, so this won't hurt their bottom line right away. But the concussion issue as a whole is a very real problem that they won't be able to keep ignoring for long. 

2 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

*Dude gets leveled on a crack-back block* "Oh he's gotta be more aware theres a bit of a bump coming, especially that close to the footy!"

Yep, blocks a legal within 5m of the ball from any angle so long as it isn't a contest to mark/catch the ball and you don't hit them in the head

2 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

*Two huge dudes running opposite directions and jumping for the same ball collide and fall into a heap* "Oh no! A couple o' toughies!"  I hope "toughy" is an actual position.

No position called "toughy".  There is a player whose nickname is "Roughy" (his surname is Roughead), maybe that's what the commentator was referencing?

I think the NFL needs to follow suit with the UFC and just come out and say its a violent sport with serious consequence and if you sign up for this, these are your consequences. 

But some stuff needs to be done about pop warner,  middle school, high school football to negate damage to young kids. Maybe adopting /hybrid of Aussie rules/techniques for younger players. 

Maybe no one starts hitting until college. Then when your 18, you can approach it like a serious career and understand the consequences of this career better. 

12 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

A monopolized corporate entity is doing shady things to distort the truth in order to continue their monopoly?

Man I'm SHOCKED that a multi-billion dollar corporation is actually scummy and underhanded, shocked I say!

Don't be silly, it's very clearly the scientists getting paid off by Big Concussions (a subsidiary of Big Solar and Big The Each is Round). The NFL is our friend, they have nothing to hide.

On 7/29/2017 at 9:46 AM, Heimdallr said:

snip

A display of corporate America at it's finest. 

8 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

I think the NFL needs to follow suit with the UFC and just come out and say its a violent sport with serious consequence and if you sign up for this, these are your consequences. 

But some stuff needs to be done about pop warner,  middle school, high school football to negate damage to young kids. Maybe adopting /hybrid of Aussie rules/techniques for younger players. 

Maybe no one starts hitting until college. Then when your 18, you can approach it like a serious career and understand the consequences of this career better. 

Flag football thru middle school. 

On 7/29/2017 at 10:02 AM, bucsfan333 said:

Makes you really worry about what the NFL will be like in five, 10, 15 years. I'd imagine less and less parents are gonna let their kids play.

I suspect you're going to see less kids playing, but I don't think it's going to be a huge difference. 

As for the NFL... Turnover is going to spike in a big way I believe and "early" retirement is going to be a popular point of discussion. We've already see it to some extent (Borland/Ferguson/Megatron), but I believe we're going to see it much more over the next decade. Guys are going to get their one pay day and call it quits. 

8 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

If you take hitting out of the sport in high school it will kill the game even faster. What needs to be done is to continue to take out head shots. Teaching proper tackling techniques is necessary from pop warner and all the way up to the pros.

Tackling with your arms and wrapping up, not lunging your head and shoulder forward for big hits. There needs to be more of a focus on tackling properly.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If you take hitting out of the sport in high school it will kill the game even faster. What needs to be done is to continue to take out head shots. Teaching proper tackling techniques is necessary from pop warner and all the way up to the pros.

Tackling with your arms and wrapping up, not lunging your head and shoulder forward for big hits. There needs to be more of a focus on tackling properly.

As long as college football is full contact, the sport would be fine, maybe even better cause guys would have less wear and tear on them by the time there pros. 

They do teach proper hitting techniques, i don't know where that came from that these youth coaches don't, i been to my nephews practices from pop warner to high school and they teach fundamentals over and over again. You can teach hitting drills till the cows come home it won't matter, the nature of the game,  running and hitting is leading with your head/putting a helmet on some one. Specially in the heat of the moment and emotions, nobody is breaking down and form tackling. Your never going to change that. 

Its also not just the tackling, its getting out of your stance as a line man, its blocking, breaking tackles,  its small exchanges firing off the line or running down field. there no way to control the violence of this sport with technique, its a sport of collisions. 

1 hour ago, Bednarik60 said:

You drill tackling drills every day 7 days a weeek, it wont matter, you can't drill tackling these guys properly, there is no way to prepare for some of these guys. How do you practice tackling for something like this? 

adrian-peterson-run.gif?w=1000

Well obviously you can't for the best running back of his generation.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Well obviously you can't for the best running back of his generation.

Your missing what the point of the gif is, guys aren't tackling dummies or ever "square" they come at you in funny angles /awkward angles, they do weird stuff, they are violent to/have power. There is no way to practice for most of these guys. 

Please explain to me how you form tackle something like this. 

giphy.gif

or this. 

giphy.gif

When every one is fast, strong, crazy instincts, violent nature, pretty hard to play with "form" or stop crazy collisions from happehing. You can't practice for or prepare for it. 

Your never going to be able to coach or play with traditional techniques anymore.  The defenders are running to fast, the offensive players are running to fast, and the fast twitch type player of today create to many weird/hard angles for traditional tackling techniques. 

On 7/29/2017 at 11:07 AM, Heimdallr said:

With how fast soccer is growing in the US, I can easily see MLS passing NFL as the biggest league in America by 2030.  It is just mind blowing how fast all levels of soccer are growing right now. This next generation is going to grow up playing and watching soccer much more than football. 

I think very quickly companies are going to start pumping their advertising money into soccer, and once that sort of money gets put into play, watch out. This week Target announced it is pulling all of its money out of NASCAR (after 30 years) and putting it into soccer.

I doubt soccer will catch on as the biggest league in the United States.  A lot of kids in the inner city still do not play soccer, instead gravitating more towards basketball (if we're not including the NFL).  I recently saw a list of the top 25 most watched sporting events of 2016 and all 25 events were either football (NFL or NCAA) and basketball (NBA or NCAA).  Soccer is a dominating sport around the world, but it really does not catch on with a lot of kids here in the United States.  The NFL and NBA are made up of primarily African-Americans mostly coming from the inner city and I can tell you for almost a fact that soccer is not widely played, watched, or even thought about.

The reason I bring up basketball is because as parents refuse to let their children play football due to health hazards, those kids will look for other sports to play and I am willing to bet they look more towards basketball, baseball and even maybe hockey before they give soccer a thought.

Archived