Who would you draft at 8? Poll

dll2000

You have to draft one of these at 8. Who?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. You have to draft one of these at 8. Draft is today. Who do you take? Rank them.

• Calvin Ridley WR (Virtually every mock has Bears taking him, majority think he is best WR in draft).
    • Quenton Nelson OG (outstanding guard prospect, very low bust potential)
    • Denzel Ward CB (Trendy mock pick, Ohio St. becoming CB U).
    • Tremaine Edmunds LB (Freak athlete for position, only 19 yrs old )

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2018 at 12:28 AM

11 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

To all the people who want Edmunds to play OLB and rush the QB against OTs,  have you seen him do this in games?  If so what did you think?

Here and there, yes. He's explosive off the edge, I can't really speak much to his bend because I haven't seen it enough... but I love his length, closing burst, and ability to change direction while at top speed.

I think the only way that Ridley may come into play at 8 is if we really strike out in free agency.

I think he is the most likely of the WRs in the draft to come in and actually give you some consistent production week 1 of the season. I think long term who you pick at 39 may get to his level, but we need upgrades week 1.

Just now, G08 said:

Here and there, yes. He's explosive off the edge, I can't really speak much to his bend because I haven't seen it enough... but I love his length, closing burst, and ability to change direction while at top speed.

Which games cause I rarely saw him even be asked to do it?  The sacks I saw were him spying the QB.

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I really think after the combine that Harold Landry is gonna be in that conversation. He’s gonna test out as a Floyd-level athlete. His bend off the edge is ELITE, and his 2016 tape is as good or better than any 3-4 edge rusher in this draft. 

IDK why I haven't really dug in on him. He seemed just a burst guy, so maybe I should watch some more of him. Maybe he has more and I just missed it. Or do you think he might really need to learn real passrushing moves but his ceiling is just sky high due to his speed/bend blend?

16 hours ago, G08 said:

I think really values traits in his first round picks... you don't see a lot of 6'5" 250 lbs 19 year olds that fly around like he does. Last time Pace saw someone similar, he traded up from 11 to 9 in order to draft him.

This is why it's so so hard to pass on Edmunds.  He's 19, 6'5, 250 lbs, can run AND makes tons of plays!  Not a paper tiger in other words.  If VT had played him off edge from day 1, he probably is a top 3 pick.  Maybe there was a reason they didn't though.  Likely it's because they wanted him to do as much as possible and putting him in middle did that for them rather than just have him be an edge rusher with one job who could be targeted and taken away schematically. 

Floyd was a long elite athlete with speed and raw potential, but lacked power coming out.  He never had overall freak athletic abilities of Edmunds.  Floyd may be a touch faster or quicker, but Edmunds is another level of athlete overall.  Floyd is 25 now going into his 3rd year. That makes him close to 22 in college.  Imagine Edmunds still playing in college 2 to 3 years from now and what his game tape that year would look like going against incoming teenagers.  They might have to ban him for safety reasons.  

On downside, 19 or young 20 year old can't miss phenoms have failed in NFL and pro team sports before coming in early multiple times for whatever reason (seem to do better in individual sports), it tends to work out better if they come in around 21.  So there is bust potential.  Plus, a lot of people just mature early and aren't going to keep developing into super freaks like you might expect.  What you see is WHAT you get and it isn't going to get tons better.  In 8th grade (long time ago) I played with 3 guys who were 6'2 260 lbs and athletic.  They were super dominant and I thought then they might go on to be pros, but at our 25 year h.s. reunion they were still 6'2 and 260 lbs and they didn't even play college football.  

On paper this guy is a generational prospect.  A potential HOFer.  Really, really hard to let him pass you by.  I wouldn't necessarily expect him to be gang busters out the gate though being so young. 

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think the only way that Ridley may come into play at 8 is if we really strike out in free agency.

I think he is the most likely of the WRs in the draft to come in and actually give you some consistent production week 1 of the season. I think long term who you pick at 39 may get to his level, but we need upgrades week 1.

It's just so hard to take a WR that high when you are counting on them to produce week 1. For every Amari Cooper (72/1070/6) Julio Jones (54/959/8) and Calvin Johnson (48/756/4), there are 30 Kevin White (19/187/0 - 4 games), John Ross (0/0/0 - 3 games), Mike Williams (11/95/0 - 10 games), and Corey Davis (34/375/0) types. Not to say any of those guys (except maybe White) won't go on to become stars, but for where they were drafted they didn't do much in year 1. The past 5 years have been about 50/50 for top 10 wideouts. While you can look at guys like Mike Evans and Sammy Watkins (who actually had a good first year, then injuries), the misses are pretty ugly.

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

It's just so hard to take a WR that high when you are counting on them to produce week 1. For every Amari Cooper (72/1070/6) Julio Jones (54/959/8) and Calvin Johnson (48/756/4), there are 30 Kevin White (19/187/0 - 4 games), John Ross (0/0/0 - 3 games), Mike Williams (11/95/0 - 10 games), and Corey Davis (34/375/0) types. Not to say any of those guys (except maybe White) won't go on to become stars, but for where they were drafted they didn't do much in year 1. The past 5 years have been about 50/50 for top 10 wideouts. While you can look at guys like Mike Evans and Sammy Watkins (who actually had a good first year, then injuries), the misses are pretty ugly.

Yup.  WRs are a gamble.  Bloom is even off Cooper a bit.  Jones has had some drops too.

Calvin Johnson was all world from day one until he retired.  A freak.  

44 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Yup.  WRs are a gamble.  Bloom is even off Cooper a bit.  Jones has had some drops too.

Calvin Johnson was all world from day one until he retired.  A freak.  

Cooper was a major disappointment this year. He and Crabtree both actually. Hopefully he bounces back, because it wasn't directly Carr or even Downing, he just didn't perform like we expected.

Im really starting to warm up to the idea of Quentin Nelson.  Yes hes a guard.  Yes positional value is lower, but he damn well might be the best player in this draft and could easily allow Sitton to walk without a 2nd thought.  Thats an $8M savings.  It makes Trubiskys life easier bc he can step up in the pocket. It opens up the inside trap, zone power for the run game which are staples in the Nagy offense.  Im probably as high on Josh Jackson as anybody and if its him, Nelson, or Davenport, it gives me pause.  Ideally we have a trade partner and dont have to make that decision.  But i cant say i would hate it if Pace BPA and the got the best player in the whole darn thing.

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Im really starting to warm up to the idea of Quentin Nelson.  Yes hes a guard.  Yes positional value is lower, but he damn well might be the best player in this draft and could easily allow Sitton to walk without a 2nd thought.  Thats an $8M savings.  It makes Trubiskys life easier bc he can step up in the pocket. It opens up the inside trap, zone power for the run game which are staples in the Nagy offense.  Im probably as high on Josh Jackson as anybody and if its him, Nelson, or Davenport, it gives me pause.  Ideally we have a trade partner and dont have to make that decision.  But i cant say i would hate it if Pace BPA and the got the best player in the whole darn thing.

I am all for over investing in Trubiskys development.

But that should apply to all positions as well.

46 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Here is my question if the Bears draft Nelson, which I do not have an issue with, how do they address WR and OLB?

Both bigger needs and both needing premium resource investment.

It would be something they need to address even before the draft IMO. If the Jags are tagging Robinson we need to make a move to see if we can get Hurns. Try for Josh Gordon, try for Crabtree. You don't give the farm on them, but a 5th for Hurns or 4th for Crabtree, or a 4th and 2019th conditional pick for Gordon (pending extension) are all deals that could be worth it. Honestly I might swing for more than one of them. 

OLB you can use the 2nd rounder on, maybe someone like Landry falls (unlikely), Hubbard, Armstrong Jr, Ejiofor, or even Carter from UGA might be available in the 3rd (assuming PAce's 2nd round trade back or a trade up involving a 4th).

We all want young, ascending talents but Pace will likely have to go after someone with some age who is still playing well.

Trade -

5th - Hurns

4th - Crabtree

Take -

1st - Nelson

2 - trade down to middle of 2nd, get a 4th back - take Armstrong Jr

Trade both 4s left to get into the 3rd - Draft WR Callaway

Move Cohen to WR/3rd down back role

QB - Trubisky

HB - Howard, Cohen

WR - X- Crabtree, Y - Meredith, Z - Hurns ----- Cohen and Callaway rotate in all over. Both can be groomed to be starters.

TE - Shaheen

That doesn't sound bad to me at all. Not great, but still has a massive upgrade to what we have had since Marshall was traded.

Is OG not a higher need that WR right now?

LT: Leno ---Compton

LG: Long--Sowell

C: Whitehair---Grasu

RG NOBODY-Sowell

RT Massie Compton

That list has 3 good players on it... 1 of which is often injured.  It takes 5 on the field and should be 3 backups.  FA options are either not great or very expensive. Maybe you get Norwell? 

The cost was high for an aging veteran, but Sitton played pretty good.  Unless Pace uses the 4m/yr savings over some other FA to do something amazing, this is going to continue to look bad to me. 

In present configuration, we don't have enough bodies to make a complete O Line, at least at OLB and WR we have people who are technically able to play the position. 

14 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Is OG not a higher need that WR right now?

LT: Leno ---Compton

LG: Long--Sowell

C: Whitehair---Grasu

RG NOBODY-Sowell

RT Massie Compton

That list has 3 good players on it... 1 of which is often injured.  It takes 5 on the field and should be 3 backups.  FA options are either not great or very expensive. Maybe you get Norwell? 

The cost was high for an aging veteran, but Sitton played pretty good.  Unless Pace uses the 4m/yr savings over some other FA to do something amazing, this is going to continue to look bad to me. 

In present configuration, we don't have enough bodies to make a complete O Line, at least at OLB and WR we have people who are technically able to play the position. 

No thats not the OL depth chart at all right now.  Its actually

Leno Sowell

Kush Morgan

Whitehair. Grasu

Long Morgan

Massie Sowell

Sowell was forced to play guard last year but hes actually our Swing.  Kush started the year at LG last year whlie Long missed training camp until he got hurt.  From what I hear the Bears really like him and i believe it based on what i see on tape.

Archived