Who would you draft at 8? Poll

dll2000

You have to draft one of these at 8. Who?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. You have to draft one of these at 8. Draft is today. Who do you take? Rank them.

• Calvin Ridley WR (Virtually every mock has Bears taking him, majority think he is best WR in draft).
    • Quenton Nelson OG (outstanding guard prospect, very low bust potential)
    • Denzel Ward CB (Trendy mock pick, Ohio St. becoming CB U).
    • Tremaine Edmunds LB (Freak athlete for position, only 19 yrs old )

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2018 at 12:28 AM

On 2/26/2018 at 12:06 PM, Sugashane said:

With Sitton gone I would try him there and Massie at OG. I think Massie would be a pretty good OG and I still think Nelson shows that he is a better athlete than most tackle prospects in the Combine. 

Let me ask you something? Do you think Harry Hiestand would have been playing nelson at og if he thought he could be this great ot you think he is?  Stop overthinking it.  Hes a guy you expect to be an all pro og for his entire career.  Lets not start jacking with his development...IF we get the opportunity to draft him.

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Let me ask you something? Do you think Harry Hiestand would have been playing nelson at og if he thought he could be this great ot you think he is?  Stop overthinking it.  Hes a guy you expect to be an all pro og for his entire career.  Lets not start jacking with his development...IF we get the opportunity to draft him.

Fair enough, but If Hiestand is as good as he is being lauded, why the hell spend a top 10 pick on an interior lineman? Why not trust him to develop a 2nd or 3rd round (in case of Pace making a 2nd round trade back) and let him develop them, while getting a swing on a premier position? OGs are more valued than they were 10-20 years ago, but the game is still impacted the most by the same positions- QB, EDGE, CB, OT. There is a reason there are so few guards drafted in the top 10, only 3 - Scherff, Cooper, and Warmack. Add in the fact that neither Pace nor Nagy (counting him in with Reid's philosophies of course) draft OGs in the top 3 rounds with any regularity, actually not even frequenting OTs in the top 3 rounds. 

KC and PHI with Reid over 10 years

OGs - 1st (pick 23), 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th (x2)

OTs - 1st (1st overall), 4th, 5th (x2), 6th, 7th

Pace in CHI and NO over 17 years

OGs - 2nd, 3rd, 4th (x2), 5th (x2), 6th, 7th (x2)

OT - 1st (13th overall) , 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 6th (x3)

So in 27 draft classes there have been 4 OGs in the top 3 rounds between them, the highest going at 23rd. There have been 5 OTs in the top 3 rounds, one being the 1st overall and another being 13th. Maybe this year will buck the trend, but I doubt it.

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Fair enough, but If Hiestand is as good as he is being lauded, why the hell spend a top 10 pick on an interior lineman? Why not trust him to develop a 2nd or 3rd round (in case of Pace making a 2nd round trade back) and let him develop them, while getting a swing on a premier position? OGs are more valued than they were 10-20 years ago, but the game is still impacted the most by the same positions- QB, EDGE, CB, OT. There is a reason there are so few guards drafted in the top 10, only 3 - Scherff, Cooper, and Warmack. Add in the fact that neither Pace nor Nagy (counting him in with Reid's philosophies of course) draft OGs in the top 3 rounds with any regularity, actually not even frequenting OTs in the top 3 rounds. 

KC and PHI with Reid over 10 years

OGs - 1st (pick 23), 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th (x2)

OTs - 1st (1st overall), 4th, 5th (x2), 6th, 7th

Pace in CHI and NO over 17 years

OGs - 2nd, 3rd, 4th (x2), 5th (x2), 6th, 7th (x2)

OT - 1st (13th overall) , 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 6th (x3)

So in 27 draft classes there have been 4 OGs in the top 3 rounds between them, the highest going at 23rd. There have been 5 OTs in the top 3 rounds, one being the 1st overall and another being 13th. Maybe this year will buck the trend, but I doubt it.

My thoughts on drafting nelson are not based on what Pace is going to do.  Youre correct, with Hiestand in place it makes a whole lot of sense to find out what you have in Morgan.  OGs dont get drafted that high.  None of which I am disputing.  My point with drafting Nelson is simply that he is possibly the best player in the entire draft and that the Bears may have the chance to draft him at #8 overall.  It would be really hard to NOT draft him at that point.

12 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

It depend on who he has at OT. If you want to get your best 5 on the field the it might have moved Nelson to OG.

When he got to Notre Dame the LT was 6’6” and top 10 Pick Ronnie Stanley and the RT was 6’8” Mike McGlinchey.

It does not shock me that he played OG over those guys.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It depend on who he has at OT. If you want to get your best 5 on the field the it might have moved Nelson to OG.

When he got to Notre Dame the LT was 6’6” and top 10 Pick Ronnie Stanley and the RT was 6’8” Mike McGlinchey.

It does not shock me that he played OG over those guys.

Thats fair but if he was a capable RT, why didnt he play there last year. I get Brandon Albert playing LG bc Eugene Monroe was there, but if Nelson was capable at RT he would have been there this year.  

The one guy I am rooting for at the combine is Lamar Jackson.  Jackson vaults himself into top 10 conversation means that the bears have a realistic chance of a trade down with the cards 

dream scenario trade back with cards draft Ridley get a 2019 1st round pick  

5 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

The one guy I am rooting for at the combine is Lamar Jackson.  Jackson vaults himself into top 10 conversation means that the bears have a realistic chance of a trade down with the cards 

I'd be damn happy with that.

10 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

My thoughts on drafting nelson are not based on what Pace is going to do.  Youre correct, with Hiestand in place it makes a whole lot of sense to find out what you have in Morgan.  OGs dont get drafted that high.  None of which I am disputing.  My point with drafting Nelson is simply that he is possibly the best player in the entire draft and that the Bears may have the chance to draft him at #8 overall.  It would be really hard to NOT draft him at that point.

While I'm not a proponent of the BPA philosophy, anyone and I mean anyone who is would HAVE to draft Nelson if he was on the board at 8.

7 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

This would be about the only scenario that I'd be happy with taking a WR in the first round as you aren't just getting a WR, but another first round pick in 2019

26 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

While I'm not a proponent of the BPA philosophy, anyone and I mean anyone who is would HAVE to draft Nelson if he was on the board at 8.

or Vita Vea or Sequon Barkley, imo.... 

@ the thread in general:

-I fully expect Calvin Ridley's stock to bounce back up this week, as I think he's actually a bit better than Amari Cooper was as a prospect... I legit don't understand the apathy towards him. Kid would pretty easily be our #1 WR, and honestly I like him better than basically all the available FAs this year too..

-The combine results for Edmunds-ILB/OLB vs Davenport-OLB/DE will be very interesting.....  I find it a bit cringeworthy that people are so much higher on Edmunds as a OLB prospect right now... when he doesn't really play that position in college.... To me, Davenport has at least shown a pretty dominant bullrush..... SPARQ numbers (and interviews) will tell the real tale between these two, however, and whether either of them ends up being a potential fit.

-Josh Jackson.... I don't think his combine will be "bad", but I do think it's going to to be "meh" enough to knock him out of top 15 consideration.

Many are liking Edmunds, me included, but pre free agency he is looking like a bit of a luxury pick.  

Sitton is gone and Long is battered so Nelson makes sense.  Ridley makes sense based on dire need as well.

Young is gone so edge rusher is a huge priority as it is paper thin and under whelming so Davenport or Chubb (likely not there) has to be under consideration.  

None of CBs are signed so you may have to think about Ward as well.

Team still has a lot of holes.

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Many are liking Edmunds, me included, but pre free agency he is looking like a bit of a luxury pick.  

Sitton is gone and Long is battered so Nelson makes sense.  Ridley makes sense based on dire need as well.

Young is gone so edge rusher is a huge priority as it is paper thin and under whelming so Davenport or Chubb (likely not there) has to be under consideration.  

None of CBs are signed so you may have to think about Ward as well.

Team still has a lot of holes.

I think Fuller returns, I'd cut Cooper and throw some coin at Bashaud Breeland and bring Bryce Callahan back. (CB: Fuller/Breeland/Callahan/LeBlanc/Hall)

At WR I'd sign Watkins, Wilson, and tender Meredith (WR: Watkins, Meredith, Wilson, White)

OL it's interesting, I think if we follow my approach above we can find a OG/C in round 2, or trade down and acquire more picks to move around. (OL: Leno, Morgan, Whitehair, Long, Massie, rookie, depth)

OLB, I'd replace Sam Acho with Jerry Attaochu, kick the tires on Barkevious Mingo/Aaron Lynch, and draft Tremaine Edmunds 

Archived