The tWo Hangout

29 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Still a huge reason why I want to move to Chicago. Car got a flat tire last week, have to pay my insurance here in the next month. I hate it.

But yeah, public transportation can be ****ty sometimes. We have a bus system called the Cyride here in Ames and usually it's pretty reliable but the other day the buses ran way late and missed a class because of it. Definitely can be draw backs at times.

Public transit that actually works is amazing.  I wish so much more infrastructure money was dumped into it.  But it's kinda a chicken or egg thing - with most Canadian cities at least.  People don't want to rely on public transit because it's underfunded and sometimes unreliable.  So it never gets the funding to actually get better.  Which sucks.

Blows my mind the insane gridlock of a bunch of a idiots all driving their cars to the same places at the same time, just clogging everything up for no good reason.

I mean, i love cars.  But i love them as like...a fun thing.  Commuting is boring as heck.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Kane makes anyone and everyone SOOOO much better while on the ice.

I really like Panarin though, but Saad makes so much more sense for this team imo.

The Hjalmarsson trade was the one i didn't really "get".  That seemed weird.  But it seems to be working out alright tonight.

Just now, Tugboat said:

Public transit that actually works is amazing.  I wish so much more infrastructure money was dumped into it.  But it's kinda a chicken or egg thing - with most Canadian cities at least.  People don't want to rely on public transit because it's underfunded and sometimes unreliable.  So it never gets the funding to actually get better.  Which sucks.

Blows my mind the insane gridlock of a bunch of a idiots all driving their cars to the same places at the same time, just clogging everything up for no good reason.

I mean, i love cars.  But i love them as like...a fun thing.  Commuting is boring as heck.

Yeah, I hear you there. 

I love cars too, but living in a city and having a car is the worst imo. Traffic is awful, parking is annoying/I hate to parallel park, expenses, random flat tires/things going wrong, etc. It's just a nuissance and I'd rather just rely on public transportation and not have to worry about anything. Plus you save so much money.

Not to mention I pay dirt cheap prices right now for car insurance but when I lived up in Minneapolis for 6 months and tried to switch to being a Minnesota resident it would have been 4x as much because living in a city obviously increases your chances of an accident. 

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

The Hjalmarsson trade was the one i didn't really "get".  That seemed weird.  But it seems to be working out alright tonight.

Yeah, I'm still new'ish to hockey. I've followed on an off some a bit the past couple years, and really started to dive in a bit last year. But based on everything I've read I'm totally with you. Seems like it's all a $$$ issue though.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, I hear you there. 

I love cars too, but living in a city and having a car is the worst imo. Traffic is awful, parking is annoying/I hate to parallel park, expenses, random flat tires/things going wrong, etc. It's just a nuissance and I'd rather just rely on public transportation and not have to worry about anything. Plus you save so much money.

Not to mention I pay dirt cheap prices right now for car insurance but when I lived up in Minneapolis for 6 months and tried to switch to being a Minnesota resident it would have been 4x as much because living in a city obviously increases your chances of an accident. 

Exactly.  Miss being able to walk everywhere, or take public transit.

It's also tough here because it's so freaking cold for like half the year, nobody wants to wait at a bus stop.  And it's supremely expensive to build like...heated stops and stuff.  Plus, homeless people inevitably decide to live in them.  Because there's also no funding for affordable housing in downtown areas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, I'm still new'ish to hockey. I've followed on an off some a bit the past couple years, and really started to dive in a bit last year. But based on everything I've read I'm totally with you. Seems like it's all a $$$ issue though.

Yeah.  Totally a cap move.  But it didn't even really save them much of anything.  At least, not until Hjalmarsson needed a new contract in a year or two.

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Debrincat just LIT that dude up. Sure doesn't play like he's 5'7. Can already tell he's going to be a fan favorite in the not so distant future.

Hate that guy.  Had the biggest little man complex ever.  At least, in Jrs.

Exactly.  Miss being able to walk everywhere, or take public transit.

It's also tough here because it's so freaking cold for like half the year, nobody wants to wait at a bus stop.  And it's supremely expensive to build like...heated stops and stuff.  Plus, homeless people inevitably decide to live in them.  Because there's also no funding for affordable housing in downtown areas.

Pretty much echoing my thoughts. 

There's a lot of cities in the US still that way. Only cities with great public transportation are the obvious places like SF/CHI/NYC etc. Otherwise most have OK public trans. but for the most part you need cars unless you work and live downtown and in certain neighborhoods that allow it. At least it seems like that to me.

Yeah.  Totally a cap move.  But it didn't even really save them much of anything.  At least, not until Hjalmarsson needed a new contract in a year or two.

Yeah, think they made most of these moves this past offseason with an eye towards the future though as far as the cap goes. 

Just now, Tugboat said:

Hate that guy.  Had the biggest little man complex ever.  At least, in Jrs.

xD

Feel like I kind of notice that already. 

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

You're a Canucks fan, no? @Tugboat 

Yeah.  It's dark days though.  In the "bottoming out for a Kane & Toews" phase now.  It's pretty bleak.  Probably gonna be watching even more other teams than usual, and CHL and stuff instead for a couple years.

Just now, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  It's dark days though.  In the "bottoming out for a Kane & Toews" phase now.  It's pretty bleak.  Probably gonna be watching even more other teams than usual, and CHL and stuff instead for a couple years.

Meh, as long as a team has direction than I'm ok with bleak/not so great years. Don't blame you though. 

Jaguars are my exception.