The tWo Hangout

8 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The thing about a Toews jersey is that it's probably a real dullard cliche thing to do now.  But i think it's pretty much a lock that it's going to be like wearing an Yzerman jersey to a Wings game.  Kinda hard to argue with, as he's going into the Hall when he's done, and he's always going to be the guy that brought the Cups.  That's good longevity i think.  But definitely extremely boring choice in the meantime.

Chicago are going to be a mess when Toews and Kane get old anyway though.  These young players might just be hitting their stride, in time to have the whole thing come crashing down while Showtime rolls around the ice with his walker.  He's already as bald as Bortles.

Definitely going to be a tough transition after those two are done. Like I said though, no problem. Seems like their management/FO is competent so the rebuild should be fun to watch.

Seems like their was some rumors thr Blackhawks would look to deal one of the two this past offseason. Wonder if they are actually thinking about breaking that duo up or not. Probably depends on the finish this year.

35 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Definitely going to be a tough transition after those two are done. Like I said though, no problem. Seems like their management/FO is competent so the rebuild should be fun to watch.

Seems like their was some rumors thr Blackhawks would look to deal one of the two this past offseason. Wonder if they are actually thinking about breaking that duo up or not. Probably depends on the finish this year.

Just don't see how they would do it.  Unless one of them actually wanted to go, given their matchy matchy No Movement Clauses in their contracts.  And at the point it makes sense to move them because they've bad...that huge cap hit will make them pretty unmovable anyway.

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Just don't see how they would do it.  Unless one of them actually wanted to go, given their matchy matchy No Movement Clauses in their contracts.  And at the point it makes sense to move them because they've bad...that huge cap hit will make them pretty unmovable anyway.

Yeah, I feel like they’re both going to be lifelong Blackhawks. Keith is the only other one that I feel that way about. They’re going to continue to move guys and manipulate contracts to keep those three together for as long as they’re in ththe league.

Just now, iPwn said:

Yeah, I feel like they’re both going to be lifelong Blackhawks. Keith is the only other one that I feel that way about. They’re going to continue to move guys and manipulate contracts to keep those three together for as long as they’re in ththe league.

Yeah, just unsure if that's the best plan of action or not. I feel like they'll always be relevant having these guys of course but as they age and with the salary problems I'm just not sure the window is much longer. This year, MAYBE next year (seems like that may be unlikely pending on great roster moves), then ?

I can totally see why they want to keep Toews and Kane together and make them lifelong Blackhawks. Both are elite, game changing players. Both have been vital to all the past success they've had. They're fan favorites. But their salary cap hits being so large and struggling to be able to maneuver around the cap is tough. 

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, just unsure if that's the best plan of action or not. I feel like they'll always be relevant having these guys of course but as they age and with the salary problems I'm just not sure the window is much longer. This year, MAYBE next year (seems like that may be unlikely pending on great roster moves), then ?

They have the NHL equivalent of a no-trade clause. So they not only have to find a team willing to take on that salary for an aging player, but they have to find a place that they will actually want to go. I’m not sure that there’s going to be a team with enough cap space to take them on that they would actually want to play for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

They have the NHL equivalent of a no-trade clause. So they not only have to find a team willing to take on that salary for an aging player, but they have to find a place that they will actually want to go. I’m not sure that there’s going to be a team with enough cap space to take them on that they would actually want to play for.

That's something I think Tugboat said last night that I overlooked again. Definitely makes it tough but Kane is probably a top 5-8 player in the NHL. Toews has had a couple down'ish years so isn't as highly viewed as he once was a few years back, but still seems crazy to think it'd be hard to find a match for players like that.

Salary cap in NHL seems very restrictive from what I gather so far. I kind of like it but it makes times like these very frustrating.