Should He Stay Or Should He Go: D. Lawrence

Texas_OutLaw7

What do we do with this FA?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What do we do with this FA?

• Sign him to a long term deal, top 5 Money.
    • Let him walk, possibly get a high comp pick.
    • Tag him (either Franchise or Transition).
    • Other.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/05/2018 at 07:39 PM

I voted to tag him.  I’m not paying him $15M a year plus huge guaranteed money based on one year production (keeping in mind that he definitely stat padded in 2 games against horrible RTs).  He’s had too many problems/back injuries in the past for me to expect consistent production in the future.  

Honestly, if I was going to gamble on a players future, I’d gamble on David Irving’s.

On 2/3/2018 at 1:48 PM, The_Slamman said:

I voted to tag him.  I’m not paying him $15M a year plus huge guaranteed money based on one year production (keeping in mind that he definitely stat padded in 2 games against horrible RTs).  He’s had too many problems/back injuries in the past for me to expect consistent production in the future.  

Honestly, if I was going to gamble on a players future, I’d gamble on David Irving’s.

What are the 8 people smoking that voted for top 5 long term deal.   Hey you were non-existent the first 3 years of your contact, and decided to show up in a contract year.   That bodes well for future performance.

52 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

What are the 8 people smoking that voted for top 5 long term deal.   Hey you were non-existent the first 3 years of your contact, and decided to show up in a contract year.   That bodes well for future performance.

Non existent? Decided to show up?

He's been injured. When he is on the field, he is our best pass rusher, and it's been that way since his rookie year. It's not like he has been playing like **** for 3 years, and "decided" to play better.

The poll option is worded strongly. I don't necessarily WANT him to be paid outrageous fortunes, but he needs a long contract. A tag will eat our cap, and anybody willing to gamble on Irving after 8 games but not DLaw is obviously living in one of the states where the stuff is legal.  

1 hour ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

You know what else doesn't bode well for future performance, when you're a top heavy team let down by its depth? Spending all your cap room on one dude and restructuring and cutting and letting dudes walk left and right just to be able to afford your rookies.

Tagging D-Law means we'd most likely have functionally the same team next year as last year. And that team's not good enough. You have to take risks sometimes. Giving Lawrence a 5 or 6 year deal isn't as risky as restructuring Tyron's back *again* or going into next year with T-Will and a rookie as your starting WRs, IMO.

edit: or, you know, letting a 25 year old All-Pro edge rusher walk because you're salty he waited until he was 25 to stay healthy and give you a sack a game

19 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

The poll option is worded strongly. I don't necessarily WANT him to be paid outrageous fortunes, but he needs a long contract. A tag will eat our cap, and anybody willing to gamble on Irving after 8 games but not DLaw is obviously living in one of the states where the stuff is legal.  

Yeah, I don't agree with Top 5 money at all. I expect him to want $14m/yr, but am hoping somewhere closer to $10m/yr gets it done. Not going to hold my breath though.

3 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

It's unlikely that his agent let's him agree to a deal that doesn't place him as a too 5 de.

Especially given that FA by rule over prices players. 

Especially after being 1 of the like 6 defenders in the NFL to receive a DPoY vote. You're probably right. Damnit.

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I think Olivier Vernon would be a decent comp for a contract. That's probably what we're looking at.

If it takes Vernon money to re-sign him, I honestly think I'd let him walk. He hasn't been healthy enough, nor produced enough for $17-18m/yr. 

Unfortunately there are no guarantees either way.  But ask yourselves this.  How long has it been since we had a top tier pass rusher?  How hard are they to find/develop looking at league averages?  What happens to our D if we lose said top flight pass rusher?

I like our young secondary.  Think we need to add a playmaker and depth at LB.  We're close to having a very good defense.  I think we take a step back without Lawrence.  Figure out a way to sign him.

Archived