Jared Goff vs Jimmy Garappolo

patriotsheatyan

Jared Goff vs Jimmy Garappolo  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have Jared Goff vs Jimmy Garappolo

• Goff
    • Garappolo

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You think that with how often the Patriots go into hurry up mode that Josh McDaniels is sitting there quietly on the sidelines the entire time? You don't think he's saying anything to Brady on the mic? You think Sean McVay is the only coach in the NFL who has thought of doing this?

Do I think Josh McDaniels is audibling at the line for Tom Brady?  No, I don't think he has to.  Saying something to Brady on the mic ≠ audibling for him at the line.

Yet, you sit here and make excuses for how incredibly well Goff played in his second year. That makes you a hypocrite.

How does that even make sense? I said it's not entirely his fault he played so badly as a rookie, but he's not entirely blameless either..... but on the other hand, I'm making excuses for how incredibly well Goff played in his second year and that makes me a hypocrite.   What? 

Yep, you slighted my team's QB. Many others have too. I'm not surprised considering the way this board treated Goff last year that so many are making excuses to justify their opinions of him. It's human nature not to want to accept that you were dead wrong.

This is me accepting I was dead wrong last year when I had Jared Goff ranked outside of my top 25 quarterbacks to start the season:

I'm not able to post multiquotes after I've already started writing this and I don't want to start over from scratch, so I may double post so I can address this. 

This is me accepting that I could be wrong in this thread:

21 minutes ago, Crickett said:

Do I think Shanahan was calling the plays early enough so he could regularly audible at the line for Garoppolo before the 15 second cut off?   No, I don't think he did that.  I could be wrong.  And I'm more than willing to admit that if someone provides some evidence for it.  Maybe that's already a widespread thing in the NFL and I just don't know. 

So yes, you're clearly correct here, it's that I do not want to accept error. 

20 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's human nature not to want to accept that you were dead wrong.

Yes, this is clearly the problem.

On 9/10/2017 at 6:11 PM, Crickett said:
On 8/24/2017 at 10:52 AM, Crickett said:

27. Jared Goff, Los Angeles Rams

So, I'm just going to apologize to Rams for this now.  :$

3 minutes ago, Crickett said:

Do I think Josh McDaniels is audibling at the line for Tom Brady?  No, I don't think he has to.  Saying something to Brady on the mic ≠ audibling for him at the line.

Do you think that McDaniels is giving him play-calls when they go into hurry up?

How does that even make sense? I said it's not entirely his fault he played so badly as a rookie, but he's not entirely blameless either..... but on the other hand, I'm making excuses for how incredibly well Goff played in his second year and that makes me a hypocrite.   What? 

Yep. You're saying that I can't entirely excuse Goff for how poorly he performed last year due to the circumstances, but you're trying to do so now with how well he played. What does that sound like to you?

This is me accepting I was dead wrong last year when I had Jared Goff ranked outside of my top 25 quarterbacks to start the season:

I'm not able to post multiquotes after I've already started writing this and I don't want to start over from scratch, so I may double post so I can address this. 

There's a difference between paying something lip service and actually believing it. It wasn't difficult to notice how many people jumped at the same media mischaracterizations that you did. It was great for absolving them of being way off the mark. I have no doubts that had Goff sat out all of last year and done what he did this year, he would be receiving a lot more credit than he is now. First impressions are hard to shake.

18 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm talking about a QB keeping efficiency and TD passes high with interceptions low. It's rare that a season like that occurs and the QB doesn't pan out. I'm not worried about guys from the 70s and 80s. We have enough guys playing during this era to determine whether or not it is a flawed comparison.

Fair enough. I don't know why you went all the way back to the merger then with your search. The last ten or fifteen years would have sufficed. 

In any case, like I stated earlier, Goff is trending up. If I had to lean one way he'll probably have a good, consistent career. Still, he's coming off one good year alone. I'm not going to crown him as having "proven himself" like the other poster I was talking to seems comfortable doing. I wouldn't do that with anyone after one great season. Even Warner in 1999 after league MVP and Super Bowl MVP. 

Don't believe my stance is outlandish. 

Just now, PapaShogun said:

Fair enough. I don't know why you went all the way back to the merger then with your search. 

In any case, like I stated earlier, Goff is trending up. If I had to lean one way he'll probably have a good, consistent career. Still, he's coming off one good year alone. I'm not going to crown him as having "proven himself" like the other poster I was talking to seems comfortable doing. I wouldn't do that with anyone after one great season. Even Warner in 1999 after league MVP and Super Bowl MVP. 

Because it's easier to hit the post-merger button than to scroll down and pick a date.

Jimmy G is significantly more talented imo and I'd take him over just about every young QB in the game right now. Granted he hasn't played in as many games but what we've seen so far is a super star in the making. Not that Goff isn't a good QB, I just don't see that All-Pro/MVP type potential with him the way I see with Garappolo.

26 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Jimmy G is significantly more talented imo and I'd take him over just about every young QB in the game right now. Granted he hasn't played in as many games but what we've seen so far is a super star in the making. Not that Goff isn't a good QB, I just don't see that All-Pro/MVP type potential with him the way I see with Garappolo.

Jared Goff

15 games

296/477

62.1%

3804 passing yards

8.0 YPA

28 TDs

5.9%

7 Ints

1.5%

3 Fumbles Lost

100.5 Passer Rating

Rams' PPG: 31.0

Tom Brady

16 games

385/581

66.3%

4577 passing yards

7.9 YPA

32 TDs

5.5%

8 Ints

1.4%

3 Fumbles Lost

102.8 Passer Rating

Patriots' PPG: 28.6

On 2/3/2018 at 7:00 AM, PapaShogun said:

I mean Carr has regressed after having a good second and third year. Blake Bortles fell back after year two. Derek Anderson didn't get better after year two. Same with Colin K. Stranger things have happened in the NFL. We shall see.

Except, Carr and Bortles have been hurt and could easily bounce back in 2018 and Anderson and Colin K weren't expected to be stars when and where they were drafted! Goff was the #1 overall pick and he was expected to be great once he adjusted to the NFL, so unless injuries come into play, I see no way he isn't a star going forward!!!

As for Jimmy G, I love his potential, but right now it is still potential and there is no way you can rate him on par with Goff, no matter what the future holds!

1 hour ago, Iamcanadian said:

Except, Carr and Bortles have been hurt and could easily bounce back in 2018 and Anderson and Colin K weren't expected to be stars when and where they were drafted! Goff was the #1 overall pick and he was expected to be great once he adjusted to the NFL, so unless injuries come into play, I see no way he isn't a star going forward!!!

As for Jimmy G, I love his potential, but right now it is still potential and there is no way you can rate him on par with Goff, no matter what the future holds!

Carr, I can let slide with the injury angle if you want to see it that way as being a huge factor as to why his production slipped. Bortles excuse the last two years is that he's been hurt though? Didn't seem the way Jaguars fans saw it this entire time. He just isn't that good. Colin K was taken with an early second round pick. I would like to think any team making a selection at that part of the draft on a quarterback has high expectations for them.

Really though, it doesn't matter where you are drafted. That doesn't excuse you from regressing following an initially good season.

What has impressed me most with Jimmy is not what he has done on the field. It's how he acts with his teammates, the communication he has with them, the reminders, the advice. He seems to be taking players under his wing and help them be the best they can be. And that's after being with the team for only a few weeks. He's taken over the leader's role with ease, and got everyone to rally around him. In weeks. That's where my confidence in Garoppolo lies. He can throw the ball (the jury is still out on his deep ball), he can maneuver the pocket, he can diagnose a defense better than any niner QB since Steve Young. He has ice in his veins, he has that personality that instills confidence in others. When you're playing with a great QB, you just feel like you're never out of a game, that he's going to make plays when the game is on the line. That's the feeling I have with Garoppolo.

I don't know Goff's personality enough to know if he's all that. I always said there's a lot to love about him, but there's something a little off. But I've been wrong before, so what do I know? All I know is that I love having Jimmy in San Francisco. 

Archived