Jared Goff vs Jimmy Garappolo

patriotsheatyan

Jared Goff vs Jimmy Garappolo  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have Jared Goff vs Jimmy Garappolo

• Goff
    • Garappolo

16 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

The style of offense McVay runs is always going to need a vertical threat to be anywhere near as explosive as it was last year.  IIRC, it's a mix of Gruden's offense and Shanahan's offense, with his own wrinkles thrown in.  The offense relies on true top 10 deep threats like Julio (and Gabriel in that scheme), Desean, and Watkins to maximize its potential.  Neither Gruden nor Shanahan had that last year.  This year, McVay lacks that player.  Obviously, the key to the offense will be Gurley, so as long as he stays healthy, the offense will be above average, but I wouldn't expect a top 5 offense next year if I were a Rams fan (the obvious caveat is if you get a top deep threat in the draft).

And our offense wasn't supposed to finish in the top half of the league last year. I'm not concerned.

2 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Most other WRs don't have these traits at an elite level.  How many other 4.5 or slower top 10 deep threats are there in the league who aren't elite players as a whole at the position?

There's moving the goalposts and then there's... this monstrosity. xD

The difference between 4.46 and 4.51 is not the difference between being a deep threat and not being a deep threat. That's 0.05 seconds in tights, not pads, and a ridiculous assertion.

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

And our offense wasn't supposed to finish in the top half of the league last year. I'm not concerned.

I've lurked for the better part of the off-season. You are on your high horse. Stay humble....

7 hours ago, jjab360 said:

There's moving the goalposts and then there's... this monstrosity. xD

The difference between 4.46 and 4.51 is not the difference between being a deep threat and not being a deep threat. That's 0.05 seconds in tights, not pads, and a ridiculous assertion.

Oh good, another Rams' fan.  I never said 4.5 speed guys couldn't be deep threats.  I said that most weren't top deep threats.  Reading comprehension?

Name me all the 4.5 speed top 10 deep threats in the league who are not elite WRs.  I'll wait.

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Oh good, another Rams' fan.  I never said 4.5 speed guys couldn't be deep threats.  I said that most weren't top deep threats.  Reading comprehension?

Name me all the 4.5 speed top 10 deep threats in the league who are not elite WRs.  I'll wait.

Who are the top 10 deep threats in the NFL? How many aren't elite WRs? Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown both ran 4.5 40s. Brandon Lloyd was a great deep threat and ran slower than a 4.5. A.J. Green just barely cleared a 4.5. Chad Johnson was a great deep threat and ran in the 4.5s. Chris Hogan has been a highly effective deep threat despite running a 4.5. DeAndre Hopkins is a damn effective deep threat despite running a 4.5. Kelvin Benjamin was quite an effective deep threat despite running slower than a 4.5. Mike Evans is an effective deep threat despite running a 4.5. Dez Bryant was an effective deep threat despite running a 4.5. Allen Robinson is an effective deep threat despite running a 4.5 or slower. And then there's also Jordy Nelson . . .

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Who are the top 10 deep threats in the NFL? How many aren't elite WRs? Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown both ran 4.5 40s. Brandon Lloyd was a great deep threat and ran slower than a 4.5. A.J. Green just barely cleared a 4.5. Chad Johnson was a great deep threat and ran in the 4.5s. Chris Hogan has been a highly effective deep threat despite running a 4.5. DeAndre Hopkins is a damn effective deep threat despite running a 4.5. Kelvin Benjamin was quite an effective deep threat despite running slower than a 4.5. Mike Evans is an effective deep threat despite running a 4.5. Dez Bryant was an effective deep threat despite running a 4.5. Allen Robinson is an effective deep threat despite running a 4.5 or slower. And then there's also Jordy Nelson . . .

Pretty much all the guys you mentioned are (or were) elite WRs, who had other elite traits to offset their lack of elite speed.  Do the Rams have an elite WR hiding somewhere that I'm not aware of?  Some of the other ones, like Benjamin and Hogan are not top 10 deep threats, probably not even top 20. 

I mean, I'm really not saying this to be a d*** to Rams fans.  It's just what I truly believe.  I think Doctson is probably a better deep threat than anyone on the Rams, but you won't see me calling him a top deep threat anytime soon.  It's a huge reason why we went after Paul Richardson.  Gruden saw what this offense was missing (a deep threat with 4.4 speed that DCs would fear and have to game plan around) and so we went out and signed him to a hefty LTD to play the D Jax (Watkins) role for us.

2 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Pretty much all the guys you mentioned are (or were) elite WRs, who had other elite traits to offset their lack of elite speed.  Do the Rams have an elite WR hiding somewhere that I'm not aware of?  Some of the other ones, like Benjamin and Hogan are not top 10 deep threats, probably not even top 20. 

Sorry to drop back into the middle of this discussion, but you have to see how ridiculous you're being though. Your original argument (4.4 vs 4.5 deep threat) was discredited. Now your argument is that if you run a 4.5 or slower you have to be a good overall receiver to be a deep threat. I'd argue that all of the best deep threats, no matter how fast they run, have to be good overall receivers to be good deep threats.

Show me a good, consistent deep threat that can't run routes, can't track the deep ball, and has bad hands.

10 minutes ago, jjab360 said:

Sorry to drop back into the middle of this discussion, but you have to see how ridiculous you're being though. Your original argument (4.4 vs 4.5 deep threat) was discredited. Now your argument is that if you run a 4.5 or slower you have to be a good overall receiver to be a deep threat. I'd argue that all of the best deep threats, no matter how fast they run, have to be good overall receivers to be good deep threats.

Show me a good, consistent deep threat that can't run routes, can't track the deep ball, and has bad hands.

I didn't say you have to be a "good" overall receiver to be a deep threat.  I have said, over and over, that most of the top deep threats in this league are 4.4 guys, and if they're not, then they're elite players with other elite traits to rely on to make up for their lack of blazing speed.  There might be a couple outliers here or there in the top 10-20 deep threats in the league, but that's the exception, rather than the rule.

6 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

"Top 10 deep threat" is a pointless distinction without knowing whom they are. Even then, odds are that half of them are "elite" WRs in your mind. So that essentially leaves me with only a handful of players. You keep shrinking the pool of players to make yourself seem correct.

Do the Rams have an elite WR hiding somewhere? I don't know. Maybe Kupp is. Maybe Woods is. Maybe Reynolds is. Maybe Thomas is. Probably not. But Reynolds is likely better than you're crediting him for being. Regardless, I have my doubts that we're done addressing our weapons this off-season.

6 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I mean, I'm really not saying this to be a d*** to Rams fans.  It's just what I truly believe.  I think Doctson is probably a better deep threat than anyone on the Rams, but you won't see me calling him a top deep threat anytime soon.  It's a huge reason why we went after Paul Richardson.  Gruden saw what this offense was missing (a deep threat with 4.4 speed that DCs would fear and have to game plan around) and so we went out and signed him to a hefty LTD to play the D Jax (Watkins) role for us.

Maybe it had more to do with Doctson's inability to stay healthy and consistently play up to potential thus far in his career than his ability to get vertical?

Archived