Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

When Randy Moss called for "Sid" to come up to the podium when he was being inducted into the Vikings' Ring of Honor, I thought he was calling for Sid Hartman.  My first thought was that the third quarter would probably be starting by the time "Sir Sidney" got up there.  To my surprise, he was calling for another old friend named Sid - the immortal Sid Davy - the Viking clad fan who is so famous for hoisting the Super Freak into the stands after one of his many touchdowns.  It was fitting that Mr. Davy was there for yet another of Moss' great Vikings highlights.

awyque.jpg

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

Dumb question but why wouldn't we just keep him on IR? 

I'm sure they wanted to...which is why they put him on IR in the first place...but, if he's healthy enough to play and he wants to go, then they do him a solid and come to an injury settlement.  

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

I'm sure they wanted to...which is why they put him on IR in the first place...but, if he's healthy enough to play and he wants to go, then they do him a solid and come to an injury settlement.  

After a player is waived/injured, the player and the team have five days to agree to an injury settlement. An injury settlement is designed for a team to pay the player for the time he is expected to miss with the injury.

If a settlement is reached, the player becomes a free agent and can sign with another team immediately. If a settlement is not reached, the player goes on the team's injured reserve. A player on IR can't be waived until he passes a physical.

In the case of a short-term injury, it's typically in the best interest of both the team and the player to come to an injury settlement.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/08/what_does_it_mean_when_an_nfl_player_is_waivedinju_1.html

On 9/9/2017 at 7:47 AM, SemperFeist said:

The "I play when I wanna play" quote, which has been vastly taken out of context for day one, is really the only blemish on Moss's legacy. 

This quote seems to be brought up by Moss' detractors all the time, but you are correct in saying it was taken out of context.  I saw a video of RB Robert Smith alluding to this very thing.  Randy wasn't anywhere near the head case that Terrell Owens was.  If he doesn't get in on the first ballot, the Hall of Fame will lose a lot of credibility.

The disappointing NFL career of Willie Beavers has hit another pothole. The Patriots released the former fourth-round pick from the practice squad on Saturday. He’d been added to the group on September 5, after being cut by the Vikings on September 2.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/16/patriots-bounce-willie-beavers-from-practice-squad/