This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

15 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

If MIN finds a reliable QB1, the NFC-N could become a damn tough division as soon as next season.

Is Cousins done for? He will turn 36 next season, I am guessing that he probably has a couple of seasons left in the tank.  He was putting up some pretty nice numbers before he got injured.  I'd bring him back if I were the Vikings.  Make it known to Kirk that he is QB1, but they are actively searching for his replacement for the future.  He at least gives them a puncher's chance.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Is Cousins done for? He will turn 36 next season, I am guessing that he probably has a couple of seasons left in the tank.  He was putting up some pretty nice numbers before he got injured.  I'd bring him back if I were the Vikings.  Make it known to Kirk that he is QB1, but they are actively searching for his replacement for the future.  He at least gives them a puncher's chance.

Yeah, I think MIN would be smart to bring Cousins back.  I assume they will while trying to find the next guy.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Isn't the play to draft Williams, keep Fields and let him start for at least half of next year, possibly the whole year if Bears are in playoff contention. 

Continuing to draft QB's in the first round and throwing them into the fire gets most of them burned around the league, not just in Chicago. 

Fields gets you to the playoffs next year, you have a quarterback, worth a whole lot of draft stock. He bombs, it's not a major loss because you are moving onto to Williams. Fields wasn't bringing much in the way of a trade this off season anyway. 

Two quarterbacks on rookie contracts is not a burden for a team to carry. You don't give Fields the 5th year option, knowing you could tag him at the end of 24 to extend or trade him. 

Kind of gives you a ton of leverage going forward. Plus, time for Williams to get acclimated to the NFL game, workload. 

I don't think that'll work. Why? I don't have a reason but neither guy seems like someone who'd be interested in that situation. IMO, the play is to take Williams and trade Fields for a 2 and 4 or something, fire Eberflus, and roll... but again it's the Bears, so it'll be something idiotic

If the plan is to keep Fields, fine, keep Eberflus. If the plan is to draft a QB at 1, fire Eberflus

Edited by beardown3231

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yeah, I think MIN would be smart to bring Cousins back.  I assume they will while trying to find the next guy.

Besides rookies, who else is available? 

Drew Lock is the only guy that hasn't really gotten a real shot yet.  Sam Darnold and Tyler Huntley are still in their mid 20s.  Baker Mayfield, Gardner Minshew, Tyrod Taylor, and Ryan Tannehill are all available.  Not sure that any of them are real answers, unless you trust Mayfield.  I really don't.  I suppose Zach Wilson will be available.  

I know I am the "Kirk Cousins guy," around these parts, but to me, he is pretty easily the best veteran available.

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't think that'll work. Why? I don't have a reason but neither guy seems like someone who'd be interested in that situation. IMO, the play is to take Williams and trade Fields for a 2 and 4 or something, fire Eberflus, and roll... but again it's the Bears, so it'll be something idiotic

If the plan is to keep Fields, fine, keep Eberflus. If the plan is to draft a QB at 1, fire Eberflus

Do you think it would be a clash to get a QB at 1 and hang on to Fields for a season? I honestly don't pay close enough attention to Justin Fields to know how he would respond.

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Drew Lock is the only guy that hasn't really gotten a real shot yet.  Sam Darnold and Tyler Huntley are still in their mid 20s.  Baker Mayfield, Gardner Minshew, Tyrod Taylor, and Ryan Tannehill are all available.  Not sure that any of them are real answers, unless you trust Mayfield.  I really don't.  I suppose Zach Wilson will be available.  

I know I am the "Kirk Cousins guy," around these parts, but to me, he is pretty easily the best veteran available.

Assuming Daniels will be out of their range, I think MIN could do a lot worse than groom someone like Penix or Nix to run that offense.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Name a quarterback who is interested in that? They both want to have an NFL career, so they better come to camp, compete and play their *** off. 

You think Favre liked it when Rodgers was drafted? You think Rodgers liked it when Love was drafted? Those two had the resume to be pissed, Fields does not. Williams is a rookie, and it would be an easy sell for him. 

23 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Name a quarterback who is interested in that? They both want to have an NFL career, so they better come to camp, compete and play their *** off. 

You think Favre liked it when Rodgers was drafted? You think Rodgers liked it when Love was drafted? Those two had the resume to be pissed, Fields does not. Williams is a rookie, and it would be an easy sell for him. 

I think this is a touch different. Favre was old. Rodgers was old. Fields is 24. He'll likely ask for a trade at that point and if the Bears can get the Darnold return, you do it

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Yes

Talk about next year is interesting....but lets not forget an important matter still to be addressed this year.

Ownership rights. 

Honestly, I dont see how we can maintain them with the state of our defense....but hope springs eternal.
Good luck to you...or some luck at least...good luck might be pushing it:)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Assuming Daniels will be out of their range, I think MIN could do a lot worse than groom someone like Penix or Nix to run that offense.  

Basically every guy they’ve plugged in has had some degree of success (and probably will again tonight) so you would hope they trust their coaching staff with a decent ball of clay to develop. Cousins will be the best veteran but he’ll be older and coming off an injury. If you believe you can get 80-90% of what he can do with a rookie contact and cheap vet, you might be able to pay some of those skill players. 

28 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I think this is a touch different. Favre was old. Rodgers was old. Fields is 24. He'll likely ask for a trade at that point and if the Bears can get the Darnold return, you do it

I think it would be pretty easy to convince Fields this is his best shot to prove he's an NFL quarterback. Whoever trades for him this off season, is not going to give him a real long leash. Then he's into the recycle bin and he'll bounce around the league for a while, ala Trubisky, before flaming out. 

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Isn't the play to draft Williams, keep Fields and let him start for at least half of next year, possibly the whole year if Bears are in playoff contention. 

Continuing to draft QB's in the first round and throwing them into the fire gets most of them burned around the league, not just in Chicago. 

Fields gets you to the playoffs next year, you have a quarterback, worth a whole lot of draft stock. He bombs, it's not a major loss because you are moving onto to Williams. Fields wasn't bringing much in the way of a trade this off season anyway. 

Two quarterbacks on rookie contracts is not a burden for a team to carry. You don't give Fields the 5th year option, knowing you could tag him at the end of 24 to extend or trade him. 

Kind of gives you a ton of leverage going forward. Plus, time for Williams to get acclimated to the NFL game, workload. 

Can't see any scenario in which both Justin Fields and Caleb Williams are on the same roster next year.  If you're drafting Fields, take what you can get for Fields and sign a veteran that is the "starting" QB and force Caleb Williams to earn the gig.  If Caleb Williams isn't your guys, use the hype to move down to 3 or 4 and take either your QB of choice there or another building block giving Fields one more year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I'd put Kirk Cousins as the overwhelming favorite to be the Vikings' QB, but it wouldn't surprise me if Russell Wilson ended up being QB1 after that mess in Denver.