This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

What would be the point of lowering the cap?  It wouldn't change a thing when it comes to holdouts, all it would do is put more cash in team owner pockets.  It's weird how NFL fans think of players as "greedy" for wanting the big contracts while not giving a 2nd thought to the amount of money the owners are taking in. 

Does anyone think owners would stop extorting hundreds of millions from cities when it comes time for a new stadium if the cap was lower?  No chance.

• Like 1

I would be in  favor oflimiting what percentage of a team's salary cap can go to a single player in a single year. A starting QB should make significantly more money than his backup. But not 20 times more. About half of the Packers cap space this year will go to 5 guys. It's the ultimate team game. The current situation doesn't properly value most of the players.

Regarding lowering the cap— Jerruh Jones is already insinuating the lawsuit will create a lower cap. 4.7 Billion in payments divided 32 ways. That’s nearly 150 mil a team. That’s over half a years salary cap.

44 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

What would be the point of lowering the cap?  It wouldn't change a thing when it comes to holdouts, all it would do is put more cash in team owner pockets.  It's weird how NFL fans think of players as "greedy" for wanting the big contracts while not giving a 2nd thought to the amount of money the owners are taking in. 

Does anyone think owners would stop extorting hundreds of millions from cities when it comes time for a new stadium if the cap was lower?  No chance.

If you were referring to my statement, there would be less games. Which equates to less revenue. Which would require the cap to go down. It's economics because the owners aren't going to make less. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Regarding lowering the cap— Jerruh Jones is already insinuating the lawsuit will create a lower cap. 4.7 Billion in payments divided 32 ways. That’s nearly 150 mil a team. That’s over half a years salary cap.

I don't think so. The cap is based on broadcast revenues. The money the owners have to pay due to losing a lawsuit isn't part of the equation. Now if the lawsuit results in less revenue from Sunday ticket in the future, that could affect the salary cap. 

A few weeks ago, I had to lock TAPT and remove a bunch of political garbage.   Now I find this topic and have to remove five pages of off-topic political garbage, insults, and inappropriate comments.  I've banned multiple members.  If you took part in the discussion and can still post,  consider this a final warning.   This garbage will not be tolerated in here.  Stick to football or don't post.  If you have comments or questions about forum administration, send me a PM.  Do not post them on the forum.

This topic can stay locked for a few days.  @CWood21 can open it later.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

NFC-N will be a slugfest if Williams gets up to speed quickly.

Bears rave over Caleb Williams' preseason debut

He looked good. I hope he takes his lumps this year but he seems like he will overcome even the Bears ineptitude, damn you Panthers for being even more incompetent than our rivals!  If we can get his coach fired and disrupt the development, it might help but they might have finally got their guy. Of course, he’s got to show it on Sundays but they have years to work with a cheap, talented QB. 

29 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

If the Bears OL holds up and Williams doesn't suck, they are going to be a good team.  It's easy to forget they weren't a terrible team by the end of 2023, and they had a good off-season.

You give them more credit than I do but I’m also going off of hate for a rival. It depends on many factors and Williams might be good but still a rookie. It’s more of a dream to get the Flus fired but we’ve done it before and now that they have high expectations they could underperform this year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Refugee said:

You give them more credit than I do but I’m also going off of hate for a rival. It depends on many factors and Williams might be good but still a rookie. It’s more of a dream to get the Flus fired but we’ve done it before and now that they have high expectations they could underperform this year. 

The CHI defense was already good.  Last season, they gave up over 20 points once in their final 8 games.  Now they have done a good job of revamping their offense at the skill positions.  For CHI, the weak link is the OL.  They still have work to do there.  I don't think the Bears are there yet, but I think they are closer than most NFL fans seem to think.

Looking at @Old Guy's roster break down while keeping 2 QBs got me thinking, if we only keep 2 QBs, and our third QB decides Green Bay isn't his best shot, what other teams have QBs that we can poach should the need for a new 3rd QB arise?

These are the guys that I think are at least interesting in such a scenario.

Falcons - Taylor Heinickie he might make the team, but they just invested in both Cousins and Penix and paying a 3rd QB 4 million dollars is a Sean Payton type of decision.

Browns - I doubt they keep 4.  That means one of Jameis Winston, Tyler Huntley or Dorian Thompson-Robinson will probably be released.

Vikings - Again, I doubt they keep 4.  Either Nick Mullens or Jaren Hall will probably be available.

Patriots - Bailey Zappe.  He has no dead cap, they drafted Maye and paid Brissett what looks to be high-end back-up money or possible starter until Maye is ready type money.  They also have Joe Milton, who is a project and a half, but man, what an arm.

There are also some guys like Case Keenum in Houston, they already have Davis Mills, but Keenum is only getting ~3 million and Stroud is virtually free by QB standards, so they probably just keep both back-ups.  When going through all the teams there were a couple examples like that with an experienced back-up that could be cut but the team most likely just keeps them around, but I didn't write them all down.  I think Dallas, Pittsburgh, and Indy are like that.

27 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Looking at @Old Guy's roster break down while keeping 2 QBs got me thinking, if we only keep 2 QBs, and our third QB decides Green Bay isn't his best shot, what other teams have QBs that we can poach should the need for a new 3rd QB arise?

Falcons - Taylor Heinickie he might make the team, but they just invested in both Cousins and Penix and paying a 3rd QB 4 million dollars is a Sean Payton type of decision.

Browns - I doubt they keep 4.  That means one of Jameis Winston, Tyler Huntley or Dorian Thompson-Robinson will probably be released.

Vikings - Again, I doubt they keep 4.  Either Nick Mullens or Jaren Hall will probably be available.

Patriots - Bailey Zappe.  He has no dead cap, they drafted Maye and paid Brissett what looks to be high-end back-up money or possible starter until Maye is ready type money.  They also have Joe Milton, who is a project and a half, but man, what an arm.

There are also some guys like Case Keenum in Houston, they already have Davis Mills, but Keenum is only getting ~3 million and Stroud is virtually free by QB standards, so they probably just keep both back-ups.  When going through all the teams there were a couple examples like that with an experienced back-up that could be cut but the team most likely just keeps them around, but I didn't write them all down.  I think Dallas, Pittsburgh, and Indy are like that.

I know nobody likes Zach Wilson as he's everybody's whipping boy. I do think a year under Clemons might be just what he needs. He could be a guy you could potentially hang onto long-term as a backup cheap too. Assuming of course, Clemons gets through to him. 

51 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Guys like Heinecke, Huntley, DTR, etc. are more likely to get a 53 man spot than the Packers' PS.

24 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I know nobody likes Zach Wilson as he's everybody's whipping boy. I do think a year under Clemons might be just what he needs. He could be a guy you could potentially hang onto long-term as a backup cheap too. Assuming of course, Clemons gets through to him. 

I don't disagree.  But looking at the Broncos roster, they have Bo Nix, Zach Wilson, and Jarrett Stidham. Wilson makes 2.7 million and Stidham makes 7 million with only a 2 million dead hit.  So, if they were to go with 2 QBs, my guess is they go Wilson-Nix.  I don't think that Wilson will be available until the next offseason.