This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

The only reason Caleb Williams didn't lose the game was because Levis beat him to it. Even with the special team's gaffe. 

Williams ultimately completed just 14 of his 29 passing attempts for a total of 93 yards and a rating of 55.7.

This stat line is losing the game as a QB in the NFL. 

The bold part is what the Packers are hoping for in the next few weeks. Pretty sure Poles didn't draft Williams thinking, I know he won't lose any game for us! LOL You get -10 points for this comment.

If you had said, "he's a rookie, it was his first game and he'll learn from it." That would be acceptable. NOT losing the game is setting the bar so low and an couldn't limbo under it. 

I don't care what his stat line is, he won his first game and didn't throw a pick or fumble.  That's a big accomplishment.

In the past, Chicago never would have been in that game because Mitch or Justin would have a few plays that would lead to quick points for the other team.  Over and over again.

That QB bar is set really low down there.  Williams cleared it, but barely.

Here's the scary part of it (Williams).  Look at a passing chart for him.  I watched part of the game, flipping around, but it looked like his passes were within a yard or two of the LOS.  That was the same offense that they had Fields try to run to pump up those stats.  And when they really needed a play, Williams would lock into a guy downfield and the throws were just too late.  Processing slowly is what I'd say.

And I thought he missed a few downfield that were pretty open and he wasn't even close.

Long way of me saying this.  Kid has a lot of growth to get to a competent level yet by NFL standards.  Even though he cleared his first hurdle, there's much to be done.  I'd be both happy and a little frustrated if I were a Bear fan.

59 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't care what his stat line is, he won his first game and didn't throw a pick or fumble.  That's a big accomplishment.

lol no it's not an accomplishment. He was terrible. He deserves no credit for that win.

I was subjected to watching that atrocity of a game.

Malik Willis > Caleb Williams using that game as a measuring stick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

The fact is Caleb didn't turn the ball over and do really dumb things that lose games.  Don't get me wrong, he looked like a rookie making his first start, but he wasn't the QB who made a boneheaded move that cost his team the game.  That was Levis.

There was talk about him having the CJ Stroud effect.  That clearly wasn't the case in Week 1.

7 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Puka on IR so we’ll miss him. 

I saw he went out. Any idea what happened to him? The way they made it sound on TV it was like they immediately made him go back for an MRI. 

Which is never a good sign. 

Edited by Old Guy

17 hours ago, incognito_man said:

lol no it's not an accomplishment. He was terrible. He deserves no credit for that win.

I was subjected to watching that atrocity of a game.

Malik Willis > Caleb Williams using that game as a measuring stick.

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

There was talk about him having the CJ Stroud effect.  That clearly wasn't the case in Week 1.

#1, yes it is an accomplishment if you are a Bears fan.  They are used to seeing their first round Qb's make dumb mistakes that lose games.  Williams did not and that is one of the reasons why they won the game.  I get it, though, many here want him to fail, and box score scouting will tell you he was bad.  I'm not saying differently.  I saw a ton of passes that were at the LOS or just around it, very typical to what we saw them run with Fields.  But, the big mistake wasn't there in this game.

I can give the kid credit for that.  And only that.

#2 I never said anything about Williams having a Stroud effect.  Never.  Not saying someone else did not, but that was never my expectation for him. 

My take away from the Bears game regarding Williams was that if you wanted to find evidence that he was a bad pick, you have it.  And if you want to find something to build upon, proving that he was a good pick, you have that too.

Either way, they feel better going into week 2 than GB does.  By far. 

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I have no idea what his stats are. I didn't look at the box score. I watched the game.

He doesn't deserve any credit at all for a win.

I didn't see the game so this isn't in any way Wiiliams game one specific but just not totally screwing up is IMO such a huge part of being successful at the NFL level. The greats still make one or two bad throws/reads a game. The goods make three or four. The complete bums make five or six. It's such a razor thin margin at the elite level that just a couple of not stupid plays a game can be the difference between being a franchise QB and selling insurance. 

32 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I didn't see the game so this isn't in any way Wiiliams game one specific but just not totally screwing up is IMO such a huge part of being successful at the NFL level. The greats still make one or two bad throws/reads a game. The goods make three or four. The complete bums make five or six. It's such a razor thin margin at the elite level that just a couple of not stupid plays a game can be the difference between being a franchise QB and selling insurance. 

ok, so now I peeked at the box score.

He "led" three FG drives of 1, 28, and 44 yds. He had a QB rating of 22.0. He had a 3.2 YPA. He took a 19 yd sack (and a 10yd sack). 

The Bears defense and special teams won the game. 6 real points from your offense is "totally screwing up"

45 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

6 real points from your offense is "totally screwing up"

Williams absolutely 100% "totally sucked". Will Levis absolutely 100% "totally sucked" too but his pick 6 was "totally screwing up". That's literally the difference in the game. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Williams absolutely 100% "totally sucked". Will Levis absolutely 100% "totally sucked" too but his pick 6 was "totally screwing up". That's literally the difference in the game. 🤷‍♂️

That's how I saw it, and I actually watched the game.

Williams did not comfortable, at all.  His throws downfield were late, but I thought that for the most part, the reads were right.

But it was kind of the typical Bears offense of screens, hitches, very short stuff.  All Levis had to do was not lose the game.  And though he was underwhelming, Williams did not make the big mistake.

My guess, though, is with that slow processing, those mistakes are coming.  But in regards to that game, they were not there.

• Like 1