Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

On 6/25/2024 at 7:36 AM, MWil23 said:

Only Scrabble can second guess a dude hitting .390 headed into the halfway mark. All hail King Scrabble.

Yv7K3nY.gif

Well well well as the batting average continues to drop look might have been right suggesting a nearly 400 average was a bit of a hot streak. 

Our starting pitching has me worried.

Really need Gavin Williams to come back strong. Lively and Bibee have been our consistent guys.

Carrasco can be the #4 guy.

Allen and McKenzie need blasted into the sun.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 11:59 AM, candyman93 said:

Our starting pitching has me worried.

Really need Gavin Williams to come back strong. Lively and Bibee have been our consistent guys.

Carrasco can be the #4 guy.

Allen and McKenzie need blasted into the sun.

I think ideally our deadline deal is picking up a #3 type starter (Kikuchi? Flaherty?) and a couple of bats that improve our 6/7/8/9 batters. Doesn't have to be stars, but quality dudes.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I believe they need a #1-2 starting pitcher and pay him for 3-4 years.  Yes we will have to give up 3 prospects and a player but we need to stabilize starting pitching rotation for this year and next couple.  We are cheap and our salary for ALL starting pitching is less than 7M.

Edited by #32
Spelling

14 hours ago, #32 said:

I believe they need a #1-2 starting pitcher and pay him for 3-4 years.  Yes we will have to give up 3 prospects and a player but we need to stabilize starting pitching rotation for this year and next couple.  We are cheap and our salary for ALL starting pitching is less than 7M.

Erick Fedde from Chicago would be an excellent #2 starter for us.

Posted (edited)

If you haven’t been following the team, I’ll summarize them as best I can-

Starting pitching is bad. Especially compared to what it’s historically been. Lively and Bibee are the only guys you can trust not to crap themselves.

Bullpen is elite. Just absolutely dominant.

Offense has been fantastic. We finally hit HR’s. Jose has played like an MVP. Kwan has been the best pure hitter in baseball. Josh Naylor already has a career high in HR’s. Brennan, Freeman, and Fry have been solid as well.

Edited by candyman93

Back in 2021 we traded JC Meija for cash and a player to be named later.

That player to be named later was now All Star David Fry!

https://twitter.com/x/migrate?tok=7b2265223a222f636c65677561726469616e732f7374617475732f313831303037303037363334343638303535383f733d3436222c2274223a313732303339373432367d572b2a350555227b6f71c1115ea5fd41

Trust the front office.

On 7/5/2024 at 6:25 PM, candyman93 said:

Wonder if they see Spencer Howard as another Ben Lively reclamation project. I trust this franchise when it comes to identifying pitchers.

https://x.com/guardsinsider/status/1809302431257244146?s=46&mx=2

Yeah, my guess is they're wondering what happens if they give him a year to adjust to being a bullpen arm? But it's worth a flier either way since it probably cost them a couple hundred grand to give it a shot.

On 7/3/2024 at 1:13 PM, candyman93 said:

I want Travis Bazzana

Just a great well rounded player

I'm excited for either Bazzana or Condon. I'm gonna be ticked about anyone else in a cash saving move just because I don't see a ton of obvious "high bonus pool" grabs in this draft, but I could be wrong. And Wetherholt is a great prospect too if they're sure the hamstring issue goes away.

On 7/9/2024 at 8:11 AM, candyman93 said:

So if JJ Wetherholt takes 8.5 mil, we’d be able to draft more players? unless I’m misunderstanding the bonus money.

We couldn't draft MORE players, but we could grab a guy or two who were falling because other teams didn't have the bonus pool to pay their asking price (usually HS seniors whose threat is "pay me what I want or I go play college ball for three years") I'm not sure who that guy is this year, but you never know.