Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Josh Donaldson is who I’d target too. He wouldn’t be incredibly expensive to acquire.

Neither of them should be. They are both on expiring contracts. Donaldson to me might have a better future with the team if they really try to sign them. Manny wants to be a SS but won’t be one here in Cleveland. Donaldson would be the ideal 3B. Getting him would give them prolly the best infield in the league 

1 hour ago, bosko1616 said:

I never thought I’d see the day I’d say we miss Shaw but we really do right now. 

No we don’t. Shaw is pitching awful this season. Above 5 era. He would be struggling right along with the rest of the bullpen

Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce you to the Indians 2018 bullpen.

giphy.gif

Oliver Drake (or Zach McCalister {or Dan Otero}) introducing themselves to teammates.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This team is absolutely pissing away terrific starting pitching from 4 starters, and a top 3 of the order that rivals any in the game.  Seeing the Mariners make a move for BP help today, I can't see the Tribe waiting too much longer.

Terrible bullpen and a handful of inconsistent bats in the starting 9. Usually, middle relievers can be had pretty easily before the deadline, but they could really use 2+ reliable relievers added right now. I’m counting on Miller/Allen being okay. Hope so at least. If Miller can’t regain form, this team probably has no chance. 

Right now, the rotation is really solid as long as they stay healthy. Bauer is pitching his best ball. Good 1-4 with a legitimate ace, which is what you have to have. They really need deadline help if they want to anything in September though. Jay Bruce is pretty much the exact bat we are missing in our order. So, I think they’ll need another pop bat this year and some relief help. Lucky the AL Central sucks.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

I am getting really worried that Tito is going to stick with Kipnis with the thought that he figures it out....

I think Kipnis is the least of our worries right now.  Our inability to cover the 7th and 8th innings with a lead, allowing us to get to Cody Allen is the problem right now.  I would agree that Erik Gonzalez does need to be playing more.

1 minute ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I think Kipnis is the least of our worries right now.  Our inability to cover the 7th and 8th innings with a lead, allowing us to get to Cody Allen is the problem right now.  I would agree that Erik Gonzalez does need to be playing more.

Well, yeah.Although, I do not forsee them adding any significant salary to the bullpen, especially anyone under contract past this year. Based off the offseason, it seems as if the payroll is pretty capped. Any move will have to follow a salary dump somewhere. My hope is that they are playing Kip in hopes he gets hot and someone pulls the trigger and trades for him and allow us to redirect for some bullpen $$$

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FEARtheELF said:

Well, yeah.Although, I do not forsee them adding any significant salary to the bullpen, especially anyone under contract past this year. Based off the offseason, it seems as if the payroll is pretty capped. Any move will have to follow a salary dump somewhere. My hope is that they are playing Kip in hopes he gets hot and someone pulls the trigger and trades for him and allow us to redirect for some bullpen $$$

If that is there goal, they're likely pissing away a season of quality starting pitching in hopes of Kipnis figuring his way out of his funk.  

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2018/05/sending_out_an_sos_cleveland_i.html#incart_2box

"The bullpen in May is 0-7 with a 9.12 ERA. They've allowed 51 earned runs in 50 1/3 innings. The opposition is hitting .315 against the pen with 69 hits, including 13 homers, and 29 walks."  

"No one has been immune. Miller is 0-3 with a 14.54 ERA and three blown saves this month. In March and April, he was 1-0 and didn't allow a run in 10 1/3 innings. Tyler Olson, who didn't allow a run last season, has a 12.27 ERA (five runs in 3 2/3 innings) this month.

Newcomers Neil Ramirez (13.50) and Drake (12.46) have not been the answer. Allen has recorded just two saves in three chances in May. Since becoming the Tribe's closer in late May of 2014, he has had only one month where he's recorded fewer than two saves."

First step has been taken (we'll see the results)  Ben Taylor was recalled from Columbus today, and Oliver Drake was DFA'd.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/05/29/mlb-trade-deadline-manny-machado-josh-donaldson-cole-hamels-rumors/650523002/?src=rss

Has us as acquiring Kelvin Herrera & Mike Moustakas from Kansas City & Scooter Gennett from Cincy.
I'm all for the KC pieces as long as the prospects pool doesn't get destroyed

I'd love to see them talk with Baltimore or San Diego about Britton or Hand....Think both could be attainable for a handful of lesser tier prospects, which wouldn't gut the Tribe's future

• Like 1

18 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/05/29/mlb-trade-deadline-manny-machado-josh-donaldson-cole-hamels-rumors/650523002/?src=rss

Has us as acquiring Kelvin Herrera & Mike Moustakas from Kansas City & Scooter Gennett from Cincy.

I'd love to see them talk with Baltimore or San Diego about Britton or Hand....Think both could be attainable for a handful of lesser tier prospects, which wouldn't gut the Tribe's future

Pretty Britton still hasn’t pitched yet in the majors this year and just started rehab. I would want to see him pitch a little before even considering him

19 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Moustakas and Gennett would both be great additions. Wonder if KC would sell MM within the division or not. 

One of those bats and a bullpen arm or two would go a long way.