Rob Gronkowski considering retirement

Rodjahs12

lol people are confidently saying he won't when so many others retired in recent years?

The man plays some of the most punishing football of all time and defenders chop him down in the open field unlike anyone ever. If a player like that feels he earned enough to pursue whatever he wants to do, anything other than retirement doesn't make any sense.

50 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

lol people are confidently saying he won't when so many others retired in recent years?

The man plays some of the most punishing football of all time and defenders chop him down in the open field unlike anyone ever. If a player like that feels he earned enough to pursue whatever he wants to do, anything other than retirement doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, I don't think he retires, but can't be totally sure either. Dude just stays banged up and that isn't going to change with the way he plays. Even if he plays next season, don't think he goes on for much longer. 

50 minutes ago, jebrick said:

It will not surprise me in the least if the Pats draft Dallas Goedert in the 1st.  Gronk's contract makes him easily trade/cutable for the Pats.  Very little dead money

Why the hell would the Pats trade or even think of cutting him? If he is not on the team, then it will be simply because he doesn't want to play football anymore. They would be stupid to voluntarily get rid of him. 

Rob doesn't seem like the type of guy who would willingly retire early because of concussions. His personality is the type who, IMO, would keep on playing no matter what even if it's obvious that it'll be detrimental in the long run. I think if he retires he'll be forced to retire.

I know I'm stereotyping a lot here, and admittedly this is solely based on the little of Rob I see in the media and people in Boston would know 99x more then me, but he seems like a typical bro frat boy who thinks he is invincible that wont stop doing what he likes until he gets hurt to the point where it's permanent. 

Just now, ILoveTheVikings said:

Rob doesn't seem like the type of guy who would willingly retire early because of concussions. His personality is the type who, IMO, would keep on playing no matter what even if it's obvious that it'll be detrimental in the long run. I think if he retires he'll be forced to retire.

The thing is, it's not only concussions. But with all the CTE studies, concussions are looked at differently now than in the past. Players have already started to retire earlier than usual and that trend will only continue. Just go back and look at Gronkowski's injury history dating back to college. It's a pretty long list. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

The thing is, it's not only concussions. But with all the CTE studies, concussions are looked at differently now than in the past. Players have already started to retire earlier than usual and that trend will only continue. Just go back and look at Gronkowski's injury history dating back to college. It's a pretty long list. 

See my edited post. I explained why I feel that way a little better. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Why the hell would the Pats trade or even think of cutting him? If he is not on the team, then it will be simply because he doesn't want to play football anymore. They would be stupid to voluntarily get rid of him. 

like Deion Branch?  Mike Vrabel ? Richard Seymour ? Logan Mankins ? Chandler Jones? Jamie Collins?  He seems to have no problem getting something for players he knows are about done.

27 minutes ago, jebrick said:

like Deion Branch?  Mike Vrabel ? Richard Seymour ? Logan Mankins ? Chandler Jones? Jamie Collins?  He seems to have no problem getting something for players he knows are about done.

Jamie, chandler, deion had nothing to due with him thinking those players are done. Deion left as a FA.

10 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Jamie, chandler, deion had nothing to due with him thinking those players are done. Deion left as a FA.

perhaps he did once

Date: Sept. 11, 2006

Trade: WR Deion Branch shipped to the Seattle Seahawks for a first-round pick.

Point is Gronk's contract favors the Pats IF they want to make the deal.  Very low dead money.

2 minutes ago, Starless said:

Can't blame him at all. But I'm surprised he's saying this now. Last year, after suffering his 4th season-ending injury, would've seemed like a much more appropriate time. This year he was generally healthy. I guess that concussion spooked him.

He just had a huge concussion that it took awhile for word of him being cleared for the Super Bowl and he just had a big loss. Emotions are high. If this talk is still a thing in April... then it's something

Archived