We Should Trade Preston Smith This Offseason

MKnight82

17 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

This article is ridiculous.  You really believe the Redskins have a better pass rush than the Jags?  Better than the Panthers?  This is one of those times you’ve just gotta look at the article and say something is off here.  The guys definition of a pressure is any time the defender was within 2 yards of the QB at the time of the throw.  It takes no consideration of whether the player made any sort of impact on the play or not. I know you watched all 16 redskins games last year, do you honestly believe this article or are you just posting it to be argumentative?

btw the author of the article is “associate fantasy football writer”.

I agree with you on the article nonsense . But I don't agree how your saying Smiths is a mediocre type of player . He did well down the stretch for us and had a good rookie year .

I believe that Smith is a good player who has flashed some greatness. Call me stupid again if you want for making that statement but he’s certainly had a handful of plays since 2015 which have been great like his interceptions and his sack and safety vs Aaron Rodgers in the 2015-16 playoffs.

Yes,  I believe that we have a good pass rush. Sure, we don’t have a dominant pass rusher but we do have good pass rushers. 

I don’t believe Preston Smith needs to be traded, just like I didn’t agree with @MKnight82 last offseason when his idea was to trade Trent Williams because Ty Nsekhe was a good LT too. 

Could you imagine how horrible our offense would have looked this season if we had done that?

I think if you have good players that you should keep them. Especially if they’re still developing and Smith is still developing. I want to see Preston Smith and Jonathan Allen play an entire season together and preferably the rest of their career together on the right side of our DL.

I also don’t think you should create an unnecessary hole on your team. I’ve said that since forever. We did that back in 2015 at this same position and I didn’t agree with our decision then.

In 2015 we could have kept the former starter at ROLB and drafted an ILB or NT in round 2 instead of an OLB in round 2 for the second year in a row because the one we had drafted in 2014 wasn’t a great fit rushing against NFL LTs. In 2015 if we had drafted an ILB or NT in round 2, our overall defense would have been better not only in 2015 but in every year since and currently.

So yeah, don’t create holes for yourself. Fix a whole somewhere else on your team to make your overall team better.

• 7 months later...

Agree.

If he were tougher he’d make a good 4/3 DE but he’s soft.

as a 3/4 OLB he can’t stop the run, can’t cover  and is too slow or unskilledto get sacks. So why play him. 

I’d like us to move away from drafting college d linemen to convert to play OLB and try drafting a guy who played and excelled in college as an OLB 

3 hours ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

We should of kept Trent Murphy. He has 3.5 sacks this season and at least .5 a sack in 4 of 6 games.

We should have reverted back to a 4-3 instead of not having a NT for a decade and forcing players to play out of position. 

11 hours ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

We should of kept Trent Murphy. He has 3.5 sacks this season and at least .5 a sack in 4 of 6 games.

I’ve always been a Murphy fan, but he got a 3 year $22.5 million contract coming off a suspension and ACL tear. He’s making $4.48 million as a starter in Buffalo this year. We weren’t going to pay him that much to be a back up and he wasn’t going to stay and be a back up here if he was being offered a starting job somewhere else.

7 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

We should have reverted back to a 4-3 instead of not having a NT for a decade and forcing players to play out of position. 

We drafted a NT and are 5th in run D yards given up per game because of it. I think we’ve solved the issue... finally! It’s the first year our run D has been even average since 2011 when we had Bowen, Cofield & Carriker all healthy.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

See, being a moderator sometimes really stinks. There's so many things I want to say in response/bolster your point @Slappy Mc, but I really can't while trying to be a good role model.

Hey, @Thaiphoon, am I allowed to hang up my spurs yet?

You get a 24 hour pass (just as long as Webby doesn't see it), but then its right back in the saddle again

Also, do you guys know (and I'm speaking for @Woz here too but let me know if I'm not Woz), how many times the mods start to say some of the same things that others are saying? We write it out fully...then delete it and then write something different that is more acceptable before posting

On 10/16/2018 at 10:48 PM, MKnight82 said:

Hey remember this?  Who suggested this? We should of done this.

We wouldn’t have gotten what you thought we would have gotten for PSmith. I don’t think we would’ve gotten a 3rd, heck we didn’t even get offered that for Cooley in his prime or Cousins in 2013/14.

The only time I was willing to trade Smith was to get Khalil Mack. I totally would’ve traded him to the Raiders along with a 1st and another pick to get Mack. Trading away PSmith for a late round pick just didn’t make sense this past offseason when he was coming off an 8 sack, 2 int season.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We wouldn’t have gotten what you thought we would have gotten for PSmith. I don’t think we would’ve gotten a 3rd, heck we didn’t even get offered that for Cooley in his prime or Cousins in 2013/14.

The only time I was willing to trade Smith was to get Khalil Mack. I totally would’ve traded him to the Raiders along with a 1st and another pick to get Mack. Trading away PSmith for a late round pick just didn’t make sense this past offseason when he was coming off an 8 sack, 2 int season.

Yes it did. He was completely overrated and not worth a contract extension.  

36 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Yes it did. He was completely overrated and not worth a contract extension.  

The issue I have is that you don’t have a clue what his value is. 

You don’t trade your second best OLB - even if he’s not a double digit pass rusher - unless you get good value back in return. 

You just throwing out “well we’d get back a 3rd” doesn’t make it true. It’s very wishful thinking on your part.

Also, there’s the fact that if we don’t re-sign him in March, he’s very likely to get a deal that’s similar to Murphy’s or IMO better. Something like a 4 or 5 year deal worth $30 to $35 million. When that happens, we’ll get a 2020 comp pick back in return which will probably be a 4th or a 5th, which is what we most likely would’ve gotten for him if we had traded him this past offseason.

So, all in all, if we don’t re-sign him in March it’s likley a wash as if we had traded him last spring.

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Also, there’s the fact that if we don’t re-sign him in March, he’s very likely to get a deal that’s similar to Murphy’s or IMO better. Something like a 4 or 5 year deal worth $30 to $35 million. When that happens, we’ll get a 2020 comp pick back in return which will probably be a 4th or a 5th, which is what we most likely would’ve gotten for him if we had traded him this past offseason.

Only if we don't sign other free agents.

edit - also part of this post I argued we should have drafted his replacement in this previous draft. So we would of had a replacement for him this year.  

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Only if we don't sign other free agents.

edit - also part of this post I argued we should have drafted his replacement in this previous draft. So we would of had a replacement for him this year.  

Yes I know, and I don’t expect to sign a lot of free agents this offseason. Other than 2011, we haven’t signed too many free agents, usually 1 or 2 in an offseason.

And sure, we could have created a hole at ROLB and filled it with say Davenport but then we wouldn’t have a NT. Our run D is 5th in large part to the addition of Payne as the NT, who also has 2 sacks from his NT positon.

It’s really hard to argue that we didn’t make the right decision with what we did in the draft last year - other than taking Gerron Christian instead of the C/G Mason Cole in round 3.

Archived