Josh McDaniels Decides to Stay with New England

WeaponX

Just now, Broncofan said:

Long needed rule change that will forever be known as the McDaniels rule.   Or maybe “never again” lol.   Either way glad it’s being addressed it was a stupid rule  

The assistants who left to coach under McDaniels are the true victims here. Absolutely awful.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

The assistants who left to coach under McDaniels are the true victims here. Absolutely awful.

IND stood by the contract offers made by McDaniels.  Upstanding move by Ballard & co.  The fact McDaniels didn’t even tell them himself is pure BS.   I have no problem saying I will always root against any team he coaches for.  Possibly the worst human being in football today.   And that’s saying something. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

IND stood by the contract offers made by McDaniels.  Upstanding move by Ballard & co.  The fact McDaniels didn’t even tell them himself is pure BS.   I have no problem saying I will always root against any team he coaches for.  Possibly the worst human being in football today.   And that’s saying something. 

There’s a bunch of women beaters and criminals in the NFL. And the guy who even under the worst case scenario got a couple of assistant coaches (who weren’t employed at the time) a promotion is the worst human in football? 

I’m willing to agree that Josh blindsided the Colts, but the reaction to it is so egregious. People back out of job offers all the time. The Colts shouldn’t have hired anybody until he was locked down. Yeah it sucks that their assstance went somewhere and the situation changed at the last minute. But they all got job promotions and have guaranteed contracts. The Colts were going to pay them for a year regardless and nobody in the NFL is going to hold it against them if they get let go next year. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lancerman said:

There’s a bunch of women beaters and criminals in the NFL. And the guy who even under the worst case scenario got a couple of assistant coaches (who weren’t employed at the time) a promotion is the worst human in football? 

I’m willing to agree that Josh blindsided the Colts, but the reaction to it is so egregious. People back out of job offers all the time. The Colts shouldn’t have hired anybody until he was locked down. Yeah it sucks that their assstance went somewhere and the situation changed at the last minute. But they all got job promotions and have guaranteed contracts. The Colts were going to pay them for a year regardless and nobody in the NFL is going to hold it against them if they get let go next year. 

He didn't even have the decency to let the coaches he recruited to leave their spots know what he was doing.   IND did the right thing - it doesn't absolve McDaniels of being unbelievably underhanded in his dealing.  He didn't ask IND to take care of his guys, he just backed out at the last minute, with zero care as to what happened to those guys.  And worse yet - this was happening at the end of the hiring cycle.   If this happens right after the reg. season ends, you give the assistants the entire field of teams to find work.   At the end of the hiring cycle, those guys were looking at a much smaller pool.  Again, IND bailed them out - but that doesn't make McDaniels somehow less culpable.  It just mitigates the degree of the impact - but for him and his character, and the fact he didn't give a rat's *** what happened, it damns him more.

So yeah, I'm sticking with being possibly one of the worst here.  Because he also did all of that with premeditation.   And yet he still acted as he did.   If you need to argue criminals and women beaters, I'll give you those are at the bottom - just that he belongs with them character-wise. 

Backing out is one thing - but how he didn't even bother to reach out to those he screwed over, is the part that throws the reaction rightfully as so harsh.    IND did the right thing - but they would have been well within their rights to say "sorry guys, gotta bring in a HC who wants his guys".   And we wouldn't be blaming IND - we'd be putting this on McDaniels 100 percent.   But because IND did the upstanding thing, we're supposed to take it easier on McDaniels' character?   Absolutely not.    He deserves every disparaging comment made to his character thrown his way.     

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

He didn't even have the decency to let the coaches he recruited to leave their spots know what he was doing.   IND did the right thing - it doesn't absolve McDaniels of being unbelievably underhanded in his dealing.  He didn't ask IND to take care of his guys, he just backed out at the last minute, with zero care as to what happened to those guys.  So yeah, I'm sticking with being possibly one of the worst here.  Because he also did all of that with premeditation.   And yet he still acted as he did.   If you need to argue criminals and women beaters, I'll give you those are at the bottom - just that he belongs with them character-wise. 

Backing out is one thing - but how he didn't even bother to reach out to those he screwed over, is the part that throws the reaction rightfully as so harsh.    IND did the right thing - but they would have been well within their rights to say "sorry guys, gotta bring in a HC who wants his guys".   And we wouldn't be blaming IND - we'd be putting this on McDaniels 100 percent.   But because IND did the upstanding thing, we're supposed to take it easier on McDaniels' character?   Absolutely not.    He deserves every disparaging comment made to his character thrown his way.     

Indy was going to have to pay them for a year no matter. They have guaranteed contracts. So whether they coached or sat on their couch they were getting money. The only thing Indy did was avoid having them needing to pay two sets of assistant coaches. Honestly, if I was them, I’d rather the Colts just buy out the contracts, get paid for a year, not move my family, not make any big changes and be able to focus solely on my next step in a years time. As opposed to you know... uprooting everything to basically work temp for a job I’m likely fired from in a year. 

So let’s not make the Colts out to be saints and act like the Josh left them out to dry. They were ALWAYS fine for a year regardless. The Colts aren’t doing anything they weren’t forced into. 

And McDaniels knew this when it happened. So yeah it’s massively dubious to pair him with criminals and women beaters. 

4 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Indy was going to have to pay them for a year no matter. They have guaranteed contracts. So whether they coached or sat on their couch they were getting money. The only thing Indy did was avoid having them needing to pay two sets of assistant coaches. Honestly, if I was them, I’d rather the Colts just buy out the contracts, get paid for a year, not move my family, not make any big changes and be able to focus solely on my next step in a years time. As opposed to you know... uprooting everything to basically work temp for a job I’m likely fired from in a year. 

So let’s not make the Colts out to be saints and act like the Josh left them out to dry. They were ALWAYS fine for a year regardless. The Colts aren’t doing anything they weren’t forced into. 

And McDaniels knew this when it happened. So yeah it’s massively dubious to pair him with criminals and women beaters. 

Agree to disagree, what he did was premeditated with no care but for himself.    There's a reason his own agent cut ties with him, and why no team will likely touch him after this.  Don't blame them whatsoever.   But yeah, the agent who actually knew him best, he was overreacting.  

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Agree to disagree, what he did was premeditated with no care but for himself.    There's a reason his own agent cut ties with him, and why no team will likely touch him after this.  Don't blame them whatsoever.   But yeah, the agent who actually knew him best, he was overreacting.  

There’s so much wrong with this. 

1. You said it was premeditated. Literally every report about this has said McDaniels was clearing out his office when Kraft and Belichick pulled him into a meeting to convince him to stay. How under reasonable definition is that premediated? It’s the exact opposite. 

2. Yeah there is a reason why his agent dropped him. BECAUSE HE WAS BALLARD’S AGENT TOO. One client undercut his other client. If Ballard wasn’t represented by the same guy he would have kept McDaniels and have been out there defending him. It was a conflict of interest for the agent and it ended bad. Florio was ripping the agent for that. So the rationale is just wrong.

I wouldn’t keep going on this but your information has been wrong on at least 3 significant counts, possibly 4 (it’s actually disputed over whether he didn’t call the assistants by multiple accounts) and you’re grouping him in the same category as spouse beaters and criminals over something the only real person who was in any danger of being financially hurt in was Jim Irsay. The coaches were getting paid no matter what. They were never in any danger. It’s nothing to disagree about. 

14 minutes ago, lancerman said:

There’s so much wrong with this. 

1. You said it was premeditated. Literally every report about this has said McDaniels was clearing out his office when Kraft and Belichick pulled him into a meeting to convince him to stay. How under reasonable definition is that premediated? It’s the exact opposite. 

2. Yeah there is a reason why his agent dropped him. BECAUSE HE WAS BALLARD’S AGENT TOO. One client undercut his other client. If Ballard wasn’t represented by the same guy he would have kept McDaniels and have been out there defending him. It was a conflict of interest for the agent and it ended bad. Florio was ripping the agent for that. So the rationale is just wrong.

I wouldn’t keep going on this but your information has been wrong on at least 3 significant counts, possibly 4 (it’s actually disputed over whether he didn’t call the assistants by multiple accounts) and you’re grouping him in the same category as spouse beaters and criminals over something the only real person who was in any danger of being financially hurt in was Jim Irsay. The coaches were getting paid no matter what. They were never in any danger. It’s nothing to disagree about. 

I'll grant you that one - the rest, well, we'll just agree to disagree.

Edited by Broncofan

23 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I'll grant you that one - the rest, well, we'll just agree to disagree.

You really think McDaniels set out to screw the Colts and had no intention on leaving NE from the start? What reason would you have to think that? He was set to leave and got a better offer from NE to stay. That’s not premeditated. 

5 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

You really think McDaniels set out to screw the Colts and had no intention on leaving NE from the start? What reason would you have to think that? He was set to leave and got a better offer from NE to stay. That’s not premeditated. 

Of course not.  His decision to leave IND and not decide to contact his coaches was entirely premeditated - not contacting them showed how little he cared about them.   He chose to leave them hanging and find out from Ballard.  After recruiting them himself.    If that's the objection to my choice of words, let's be clear on that lol.  

Edited by Broncofan

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Of course not.  His decision to leave IND and not decide to contact his coaches was entirely premeditated - not contacting them showed how little he cared about them.   He chose to leave them hanging and find out from Ballard.  After recruiting them himself.    If that's the objection to my choice of words, let's be clear on that lol.  

I think the hang up is premeditated makes it sound like he planned to do all of this when it sounds like he got cold feet at the last moment with a counter offer 

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

I think the hang up is premeditated makes it sound like he planned to do all of this when it sounds like he got cold feet at the last moment with a counter offer 

OK, let's back this up.  My issue with McDaniels is he agrees to go to IND, then recruits assistants to leave.   Then for whatever reason / sequence, he backs out.  Knowing that he's brought ppl to come to IND to work for him.   And then backs out anyways, and doesn't bother to tell anyone, even to the point where IND has a presser lined up.  None of his coaches he's recruited know.   THAT's the premeditation part - not that he was going to never take the job ever, but everything he did was me-first and me-only - knowing the fallout it would create, and not caring enough to even do anything but look out for himself.  Cold feet is justifiable - but he handled in the most selfish, don't-care-who-else-gets-burned way possible.   

Big deal, you say.  I say very big deal.  We can agree to disagree, but so there's no confusion, that's the premeditation angle.  And judging by the public reaction, outside of NE, it's what others see too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

OK, let's back this up.  My issue with McDaniels is he agrees to go to IND, then recruits assistants to leave.   Then for whatever reason / sequence, he backs out.  Knowing that he's brought ppl to come to IND to work for him.   And then backs out anyways, and doesn't bother to tell anyone, even to the point where IND has a presser lined up.  None of his coaches he's recruited know.   THAT's the premeditation part - not that he was going to never take the job ever, but everything he did was me-first and me-only - knowing the fallout it would create, and not caring enough to even do anything but look out for himself.  Cold feet is justifiable - but he handled in the most selfish, don't-care-who-else-gets-burned way possible.   

Big deal, you say.  I say very big deal.  We can agree to disagree, but so there's no confusion, that's the premeditation angle.  And judging by the public reaction, outside of NE, it's what others see too.

I mean, what difference does it make whether McDaniels contacted the assistants or not? He likely burned the bridge either way. Explaining himself likely makes no difference. Yes it was a coward move to not let them know but that doesn’t make him the worst guy in football, with a league filled with all kinds of actual criminals. 

5 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

I mean, what difference does it make whether McDaniels contacted the assistants or not? He likely burned the bridge either way. Explaining himself likely makes no difference. Yes it was a coward move to not let them know but that doesn’t make him the worst guy in football, with a league filled with all kinds of actual criminals. 

Just because it makes no difference doesn't mean you avoid doing it.   Cowardice in a future HC, major character flaw.   Huge given he supposedly learned from his past mistakes.    We can add cowardice and selfishness to known past issues of arrogance.   

As I said - it puts him as possibly the worst human being.   I can't deny the criminals and DV guys belong at the bottom - but I'd put him there with them.   If you want to concede he's the worst non-criminal/DV guy around, then we have agreement then, I'll concede that.   It's not that much of a concession lol, I can live with that characterization.

Edited by Broncofan