Josh McDaniels Decides to Stay with New England

WeaponX

54 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Like I said, it's not an ideal situation. The ideal situation is Josh goes there and kills it and they have job security for 5-6 years and they prove themselves and get promotions and HC jobs elsewhere. 

However, it's just as possible they sign a contract, the teams sucks, someone better comes on the market that expresses interest, Irsay goes after someone knew. And they are in the exact same situation. Actually a worse situation because now they are labeled as failures. Josh can still be an OC somewhere because he has that cache, they don't. 

The reality is, they have a guaranteed contract, it's in all likelihood worth more than their last jobs, and they will either have security for a year OR get bought out and have more than enough money to live on. The best case scenario from there is they are kept on, they kill it, Ballard makes it clear he wants them to stay on. Worst case is they are sitting at home with a lot of money they didn't have to work for while they look for a new job. Oh and there's 32 teams in league, every single one of them knows what happened here, it's never going to be held against them the next time they look for jobs. 

It's not an ideal situation. But it's getting blown up into more than it is. It's not like in the week or so they signed that they sold their houses and are already moved to Indy and now are out of a job with no money. Using them as the argument of "wow Josh McDaniel's is evil for doing this" also shows no understanding of the issue. They have security and they have money. And now they have time. 

Given how much assistant coaches are paid, money is probably a secondary consideration. They’d likely have moved for the opportunity more than anything. However, the opportunity that they moved for is now fundamentally different and not one that they’d necessarily have gone for in the first place.

I agree, claiming McDaniels is “so evil for doing that” would show no understanding of the issue either. Good job no one claimed that. 

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

Ballard said all the right things until "The Rivalry is back on".

It really isn't, that's just pride speaking and bulletin board material for Belichick. Pats just lost in a SB. The Colts own the 3rd pick and have a ton invested in a QB with a bum shoulder.

One of the main storylines for the offseason was that Ballard had begun mending the relationship between the Colts and Patriots (actually making trades with NE ie Dwayne Allen trade and Brissett/Dorset trade). That was supposed to make a possible transition to hiring a Patriot’s coach for HC. 

I believe this was Ballard speaking to the fans that the bridge is burning on New England’s end. Not ours anymore

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Ballard said all the right things until "The Rivalry is back on".

It really isn't, that's just pride speaking and bulletin board material for Belichick. Pats just lost in a SB. The Colts own the 3rd pick and have a ton invested in a QB with a bum shoulder.

I actually kind of like Ballard. I'd feel a lot less bad about this if Grigson was still GM.

3 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Yep, and they pushed out Peyton in a not-so-kind way as well. Irsay is a bad owner, just like his father.

Let's be fair. We know Peyton had 4 years max after. He would be retired by now and he would not have the offense that made him successful in 2012/2013. He also wouldn't have the defense that carried him to a Super Bowl. So Peyton would have one less MVP, two less Super Bowl appearances and retire with less Super Bowls than his brother. The Colts would have likely drafted Goff or Wentz. If they drafted Goff they don't have the team the Rams have. If they drafted Wentz they are literally in the same position with an injured first round QB. 

10 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Let's be fair. We know Peyton had 4 years max after. He would be retired by now and he would not have the offense that made him successful in 2012/2013. He also wouldn't have the defense that carried him to a Super Bowl. So Peyton would have one less MVP, two less Super Bowl appearances and retire with less Super Bowls than his brother. The Colts would have likely drafted Goff or Wentz. If they drafted Goff they don't have the team the Rams have. If they drafted Wentz they are literally in the same position with an injured first round QB. 

I mean, the Colts had one bad year when Manning was injured, and Irsay dumped Polian and Manning just like that. Pretty bad if you ask me. Polian and Manning were that organization, they were the ones who worked the hardest for that team while Irsay was off getting drunk and high. So yeah, LOL, I definitely have my strong opinions about Irsay as an owner.

2 hours ago, childofpudding said:

I mean, the Colts had one bad year when Manning was injured, and Irsay dumped Polian and Manning just like that. Pretty bad if you ask me. Polian and Manning were that organization, they were the ones who worked the hardest for that team while Irsay was off getting drunk and high. So yeah, LOL, I definitely have my strong opinions about Irsay as an owner.

Polian got fired because all the players who had the highest cap numbers on the roster (except for Freeney and Mathis) finished the season on IR. Joseph Addai, Dallas Clark, Peyton Manning, Bob Sanders and Gary Brackett. There was no one left to field a team with. 

And look who got cut once the new league year started. Manning, Sanders, Clark,  Addai and Brackett and Curtis Painter. 

Don’t take my words as contempt for Polian he was a great team builder. I just find it funny that his bad 2011 roster is already forgotten 6 years later  

2 minutes ago, stallyns said:

Polian got fired because all the players who had the highest cap numbers on the roster (except for Freeney and Mathis) finished the season on IR. Joseph Addai, Dallas Clark, Peyton Manning, Bob Sanders and Gary Brackett. There was no one left to field a team with. 

And look who got cut once the new league year started. Manning, Sanders, Clark,  Addai and Brackett and Curtis Painter. 

Don’t take my words as contempt for Polian he was a great team builder. I just find it funny that his bad 2011 roster is already forgotten 6 years later  

Six years later, the Colts are a nothing team. Barely a threat in their own division. So, yeah.

Haven't finished reading the whole thread so IDK if anyone posted this or not but....

Dianna Russini tweeted: "Spoke with several members of what was supposed to be McDaniels’ Indy coaching staff. They have not heard from Josh McDaniels regarding the change of heart. Just as blindsided as the rest of us."

Edited by BAConrad

9 minutes ago, stallyns said:

And yet you’re owner is still so threatened by that nothing team. Classy

*your

Nah, they're not threatened, and you've disputed zero of my points. And I don't think a Colts fan wants to have a debate on whose owner is classier. Cheers.

Edited by childofpudding