aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

You mean you guys didn't play Jacks?  Or how about just a stick and drawing out a Tic-Tac-Do in the dirt?  I thought that was a cool gaming system.  

Pretty sure I played checkers before I played Jacks or any form of Tic-Tac-Toe.  I do remember when we upgraded from checkers to Monopoly! Boy, there was a game with multiple players, higher levels, and the graphics were amazing!!!

Can someone explain the different burning restrictions to me?

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/forestry/fire/firerating_restrictions.html

Most of Minnesota is in "Restricted - Variance Permits Only" status.. Does that include small campfires, etc., or is that more for large scale burning like for farming? 

Can I have a campfire at my cabin this weekend?

51 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Can someone explain the different burning restrictions to me?

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/forestry/fire/firerating_restrictions.html

Most of Minnesota is in "Restricted - Variance Permits Only" status.. Does that include small campfires, etc., or is that more for large scale burning like for farming? 

Can I have a campfire at my cabin this weekend?

Based on that link my guess is no.

Just now, VikeManDan said:

That is what I originally thought, but in the burning permit info page, they state this:

A permit is not needed:

• for a "campfire"—a fire set for cooking, warming, or ceremonial purposes, which is not more than 3 feet in diameter by 3 feet high, and has had the ground 5 feet from the base of the fire cleared of all combustible material
  • when the ground is snow-covered — by definition, when there is a continuous unbroken cover of snow 3 inches deep or more surrounding the immediate area of the fire, sufficient to keep the fire from spreading
  • for a fire contained in a charcoal grill, camp stove, or other device designed for cooking or heating
  • for a fire in an approved burner  PDF, and there is no combustible material within 5 feet of the base of the burner, and it is in use between the 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m.

They also have a separate color in the map for "no campfires allowed", but they aren't using that.

8 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Incorrect, based on what I read.  Recreational campfires are still allowed during spring restrictions.  You would only need a variance permit if you were doing larger-scale or planned burning.  

In addition to what @Heimdallr posted, it also says:

Recreational campfires are still permissible under burning permit restrictions, but not under a burning ban.

The only time I wouldn't do it is if you were in one of those High Fire Danger counties.

Edited by swede700

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 9:13 AM, swede700 said:

You mean you guys didn't play Jacks?  Or how about just a stick and drawing out a Tic-Tac-Do in the dirt?  I thought that was a cool gaming system.  

I used to have a sandbox. Myself and the neighbor kid would play with tractors in the sand box and pretend we were running our own farm. My grandma actually had an Atari but the games were bad. Battletanks, ET, and Pac-Man. I wasn't interested in games until the Nintendo came out.

Edited by TENINCH

37 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

I used to have a sandbox. Myself and the neighbor kid would play with tractors in the sand box and pretend we were running our own farm. My grandma actually had an Atari but the games were bad. Battletanks, ET, and Pac-Man. I wasn't interested in games until the Nintendo came out.

ET was awful, I'm not sure I ever understood that game.  When I got the Nintendo, it was the original system with the robot and both Gyromite and Duck Hunt (pre-Super Mario Bros bundle).  I never did really get that robot guy to ever work well.  

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

ET was awful, I'm not sure I ever understood that game.  When I got the Nintendo, it was the original system with the robot and both Gyromite and Duck Hunt (pre-Super Mario Bros bundle).  I never did really get that robot guy to ever work well.  

Never heard of Gyromite. My mom bought it for us from our uncle for like $75. Came with Mario Bros and Duck Hunt. Then I discovered you could rent games from the video store so I did every odd job anyone would pay me for. Cleaned up trash from the country fair once and found $5 on the ground. Used that money to rent Based Loaded.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Never heard of Gyromite. My mom bought it for us from our uncle for like $75. Came with Mario Bros and Duck Hunt. Then I discovered you could rent games from the video store so I did every odd job anyone would pay me for. Cleaned up trash from the country fair once and found $5 on the ground. Used that money to rent Based Loaded.

Bases Loaded was awesome...I think I still have it, as I still have my Nintendo downstairs in the basement.  Every now and then I can still get it to work.  I don't have the Gyromite game anymore, but I still have quite a few...including Bases Loaded.  But, one of my favorites to play when I can get it started is River City Ransom.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

Bases Loaded was awesome...I think I still have it, as I still have my Nintendo downstairs in the basement.  Every now and then I can still get it to work.  I don't have the Gyromite game anymore, but I still have quite a few...including Bases Loaded.  But, one of my favorites to play when I can get it started is River City Ransom.

Nice. My parents bought me Bases Loaded 2 as a "sorry we're getting a divorce" for my birthday in 89 or 90. I played the crap out of that game.

If you are a D&D geek, or similar....I launched a YouTube channel. Or, if you know someone that is. Oh, and a website too......which has poetry, Portland recommendations, and gaming stuff. 

https://mikesixel.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoowgkaWqTe5r7CJ2W8ygdw

If this kind of thing is frowned upon, let me know...or just delete it.

Edited by PrplChilPill
  • Like 1