aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

I'm a seasonal constuction worker who has already been off since Christmas, this pandemic couldn't have come at a worse time for me as I have already sucked my winter funds dry. Luckily I work for a watermain rehabilitation company so we are slowly still able to get going and thankfully we were relatively recession proof during the last financial crisis but I do worry about the ripple effect on municipal budgets in the following years when we come out of his nightmare. 

• Like 3

I hear you @y*so*blu. My boy, who is a manager at a grocery store, got scheduled for all of 4 hours in his next pay period. The bump they gave him to his salary this month doesn't come close to closing the gap in the lost hours. One of my daughters, who was working in child care, just lost another job (3rd one in the last month) because the fire station next door is taking over the building she was working in to have more room to spread out.

It will be interesting to see the news my wife gets today after the leadership in her department meets in about an hour. On Friday when the leadership in my department met we were shortly thereafter told that everyone in the department (~2000 people) was getting 6 weeks of furlough in addition to the organization wide pay decrease that was announced earlier on Friday.

That is 3 people in my immediate family in three so-called "essential" jobs (food supply, childcare, and healthcare) seeing direct impacts. 

This involves so many people that have not had the time or ability to prepare for this. I would suggest all of you that are still earning a pay check drastically reduce all discretionary spending and save up a pile.  And that reduced spending will, of course, further hurt the economy -- the vicious cycle of looming recession. The downward spiral has been happening for over a month and will last well beyond the immediate SARS-cov-2 threat. 

I am sorry to hear about all the others that are struggling with the indirect effects of the virus.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

I think it's time to begin to open this country back up. People are hurting and $1200 isn't going to fix that. Those that are vulnerable can remain in place but it's time to get this country moving again.

I think you can only do it in certain places though, otherwise, you're running the risk of just being exactly back in the same place 2 weeks from now.  Plus, it doesn't help when you have idiots in certain parts of the country congregating because they feel they have to be in a group to do what they are doing (although it's not necessary).  Unfortunately, for many different reasons, we were not prepared for this type of situation, although the evidence has been pointing towards it happening for decades now. Let's hope we begin to prepare for others, because this is only the first of others to follow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I think you can only do it in certain places though, otherwise, you're running the risk of just being exactly back in the same place 2 weeks from now.  Plus, it doesn't help when you have idiots in certain parts of the country congregating because they feel they have to be in a group to do what they are doing (although it's not necessary).  Unfortunately, for many different reasons, we were not prepared for this type of situation, although the evidence has been pointing towards it happening for decades now. Let's hope we begin to prepare for others, because this is only the first of others to follow.

Yep.  They country cannot open all at once.  And, you are correct to observe that this is the first of what will be other mutated/Novel viruses in the future.

The weather is playing games with us; for a while it felt like spring, then we got flurries for the past three days. The snow disappeared almost immediately, but temperatures are still in the thirties.

I hear one of our cats at my door. If reincarnation is a thing, I hope to come back as a cat.

42 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It was never a game I was very good at, but it always seemed to be the demo game at the stores I would go to and play.  A pure classic.  

I'm so old, I don't even know what 'Pitfall' is.

I did play pong, though

Edited by marshpit23
pong

56 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

I'm so old, I don't even know what 'Pitfall' is.

I did play pong, though

Atari 2600...that was my first real system (although I did have a Pong system too prior to that).  I'm still pretty damn good at Galaga though...that was my favorite.

My first real system was the NES. I remember trying to win as the Vikings on John Elway's Quarterback. I was so bad at it. Never did enjoy playing football video games much, but I do like watching the computer play itself as if it was an actual game. NFL 2K3 was especially well suited to this purpose. ^_^

6 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

My first real system was the NES. I remember trying to win as the Vikings on John Elway's Quarterback. I was so bad at it. Never did enjoy playing football video games much, but I do like watching the computer play itself as if it was an actual game. NFL 2K3 was especially well suited to this purpose. ^_^

10-Yard Fight was awesome.  

3 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think my first "gaming system" was a checker board and checkers. 

I had an advanced model that allowed for playing backgammon by flipping the board over. I even remember stories of some people adapting their checker board to allow them to play chess.

• Like 1