aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

7 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

We did a full tear off and replacement and added gutter guards on a single gable chicago bungalow for ~6K. I'm not sure what the full gutter replacement would have been, but we also have french drains so it probably would have been a little more costly

We're doing the full replacement on a ranch, but getting the highest quality gutter protection there is, so we're paying more for the lifetime warranty and better performance.  The increases in supply costs certainly hasn't helped so we're paying just under $10K.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

We're doing the full replacement on a ranch, but getting the highest quality gutter protection there is, so we're paying more for the lifetime warranty and better performance.  The increases in supply costs certainly hasn't helped so we're paying just under $10K.  

Not saying it’s cheap, but better than I expected

to be honest, i've never found a gutter guard product that works well. they either create clogs on top of the screen that then allows water to flow past the guard and over the gutter front edge, or they detach easily.

the best ones collect leaves on top of the screens, which you then have to periodically clean off. so the gain is minimal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Following, throwing up some seamless this spring, curious.

I worked for a guy in Minneapolis, this was back in 1995.  He had rolls of Aluminum in his truck, and a machine that shaped the metal as it came off the roll.  This was cut to length.  A major concern was you had to have a drop of 2 inches every 8 feet of gutter so that you had proper drainage (directed towards a drain).  I saw a lot of poor work where there was no drop, and water accumulated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

to be honest, i've never found a gutter guard product that works well. they either create clogs on top of the screen that then allows water to flow past the guard and over the gutter front edge, or they detach easily.

the best ones collect leaves on top of the screens, which you then have to periodically clean off. so the gain is minimal.

The ones that were on our house were pretty old, but they were the ones where a lot of the water just shot over the top.  These ones are the screens that we'll have to periodically clean off.  But, the guy down the street has them and he just blows them off from the ground.  😉

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

I instantly took mine off that the previous owner had on when I moved to this place a few years back. They had a couple big ole maples in the back yard and them dern helicopters constantly were getting stuck in there and it drove me nuts.

37 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I instantly took mine off that the previous owner had on when I moved to this place a few years back. They had a couple big ole maples in the back yard and them dern helicopters constantly were getting stuck in there and it drove me nuts.

Part of the guards we had were broken, so they were wide open...the helicopters grew in the gutter. 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, perrynoid said:

I worked for a guy in Minneapolis, this was back in 1995.  He had rolls of Aluminum in his truck, and a machine that shaped the metal as it came off the roll.   

extrusion, this is called. where the flat metal stock assumes a shape as it is pushed through a mold, basically.

you guys are too young to have ever had a PlayDoh Factory, right? same concept, just with soft clay.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

extrusion, this is called. where the flat metal stock assumes a shape as it is pushed through a mold, basically.

you guys are too young to have ever had a PlayDoh Factory, right? same concept, just with soft clay.

It was a flat roll of aluminum that was shaped (bent) by the machine, but not extruded.  And yes, I used to have a PlayDoh Factory back in the Pleistocene Era.