aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

How are you guys in the mid-west doing with the smoke from the Canadian wildfires?  It's pretty bad where I am.  We have poor air quality warnings.   I am pretty healthy, but I do have asthma, so not doing any outdoor work today...probably for the rest of the week.

2 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

How are you guys in the mid-west doing with the smoke from the Canadian wildfires?  It's pretty bad where I am.  We have poor air quality warnings.   I am pretty healthy, but I do have asthma, so not doing any outdoor work today...probably for the rest of the week.

The sky looks a bit hazy, but I haven’t noticed any issues with air quality. 

20 hours ago, swede700 said:

What's @Heimdallr's thoughts on Messi to Miami?

There has never been a bigger trade/signing in the history of sports. It will permanently change the landscape of global sports.

To put it into some sort of perspective, a team in Saudi Arabia offered him $1.6 BILLION for a 3 year deal and he went to Miami instead.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

There has never been a bigger trade/signing in the history of sports. It will permanently change the landscape of global sports.

To put it into some sort of perspective, a team in Saudi Arabia offered him $1.6 BILLION for a 3 year deal and he went to Miami instead.

He could have taken the $1.6BB and still have been an attraction (and good enough) for MLS. Seems he has some integrity.

55 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

He could have taken the $1.6BB and still have been an attraction (and good enough) for MLS. Seems he has some integrity.

He'll probably make more with the MLS deal anyway. It is reported he is getting a cut of streaming revenue directly from Apple, a cut of apparel revenue direct from Adidas, and I'm guessing MLS said he can have an expansion team in the future (same as Beckham). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

how so?

The combination of Messi (most famous person in the world) and Apple (biggest company in the world) is going to exponentially grow MLS (and US soccer) overnight. I don't think people in the US really appreciate how big Messi is globally; nobody in the history of sports remotely compares. Also, Apple can push ads and promote Messi+MLS on every Apple device on the planet (or anywhere else given their infinite cash).

As of yesterday, a ticket to a random weekday regular season game against Miami now costs more than a ticket to the NBA Finals. Also with Apple's MLS package being available everywhere in the world, Miami will get tens/millions of viewers on every game. No blackouts, no cable package required, no country restrictions. 

Add in Copa America in 2025 and the World Cup in 2026 both being in the US, and I can't even imagine what things are going to look like 5 years from now. MLS has grown exponentially since Beckham came to the league, and this will be an even bigger jump. At this point it is only a matter of time before MLS passes MLB/NHL/NBA in every meaningful metric, and it is going to happen much faster than non-soccer people expect. Follow the money.

Not only will MLS grow in the US, the amount of talent and money coming into the league is going to propel it into one of the top soccer leagues in the world. It is only a matter of time before MLS is a premiere destination league on par with La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A. 

The sports landscape in the US is going to change, the balance of global soccer (aka global sports) is going to change, and the way sports deals (both broadcasting and major player deals) is instantly revolutionized. 

• Like 2