2018 NFL Free Agent Cornerbacks

MDSteeler1971

Malcolm Butler, CB, Patriots. Age: 28. star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifhalfstar.gif
Butler went from being an undrafted free agent out of West Alabama, to an unknown guy who made a huge play in a Super Bowl, to one of the top cornerbacks in the NFL. His transformation has been amazing, and he's only 28 in March. He deserves a huge contract. So he's out of the question. Especially if we retain Bell...

Patrick Robinson, CB, Eagles. Age: 30. star.gifstar.gifstar.gifhalfstar.gif
Robinson has undergone an up-and-down career ever since being the 32nd-overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft. This past season was the ultimate up, as Robinson was absolutely prolific. He was one of the top cornerbacks in the NFL, clamping down against everyone in coverage. Robinson perhaps is a late bloomer, though he'll turn 31 in September.

Prince Amukamara, CB, Bears. Age: 26. star.gifstar.gifstar.gif
Prince Amukamara is very talented, but also extremely difficult to trust. He has played in just one full season throughout his 7-year career. He missed two games in 2017, but played very well otherwise.

Kyle Fuller, CB, Bears. Age: 26. star.gifstar.gifstar.gif
Kyle Fuller has frustrated Bears fans, playing well at times, but struggling mightily in many games. Chicago understandably declined his fifth-year option, but Fuller finally put it together in 2017 with a strong season. The former first-round pick is just 26 (in February) and can still continue to improve.

Darqueze Dennard, CB, Bengals. Age: 26. star.gifstar.gifstar.gif
Darqueze Dennard had been seen as a failure heading into 2017, which made it odd that Cincinnati exercised his fifth-year option in April. The move paid off, as Dennard was excellent this past season. Just 26, Dennard appears to have a bright future ahead of him, though it's a bit suspicious that he finally began playing well in his contract year.

Aaron Colvin, CB, Jaguars. Age: 26. star.gifstar.gifhalfstar.gif
Aaron Colvin fell in the 2014 NFL Draft because of a torn ACL. It paid off for the Jaguars, as Colvin has served as a very effective slot corner. Just 26, Colvin should continue to improve. I'm sure he will be re-signed by the Jags...

Of them, I would take Aaron Colvin.

But with so many teams having so much money, I think every one of those CBs could be out of our price range.  

David Amerson could be an option.    He was just cut, and has proven he CAN be pretty good in the past.   

Ive heard some Steeler fans say we shouldnt bring in a FA CB, which I completely disagree with.    I dont know which CB we have drafted over the last 10-15 years that gives anyone confidence we can DRAFT a good corner, so if we can get someone decent in free agency to COMPETE with Artie Burns, Cameron Sutton, and Brian Allen, Id be happy going into next season with something like....

Joe Haden
Artie Burns
Mike Hilton
Mid-Range Free Agent CB
Cameron Sutton
Brian Allen/UDFA

Didn't Robinson visit the Steelers last year or the year before? I thought I remember hearing about that.

I know in '14 there was speculation that if Shazier was taken before the Steelers that Fuller would have been a good possibility as their pick. He had a good year last season.

It seems like Amukamara has been around forever yet he is only 26. Dennard was a guy that some of would have liked during his draft year.

I actually don't think that CB is a major need like in years past. Hopefully Burns will start playing like a former #1 pick. Gay most likely won't be back along with Sensabaugh so with Haden being the only long time veteran I could see them bringing in someone with experience. I think they are high on Sutton and Allen could be a gem if he can develop. With Lake no longer coach I'm more optimistic that these players can be productive.

On 2/8/2018 at 6:40 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

Joe Haden

Artie Burns
Mike Hilton
Mid-Range Free Agent CB
Cameron Sutton
Brian Allen/UDFA  He was our 5th round pick... js

We had 7 CBs on the roster so who else? Another draft pick?

29 Allen, Brian CB 6-3 215  Utah: Time to prove he can do the job

25 Burns, Artie CB 6-0 197 Miami (FL): Starter...

22 Gay, William CB 5-10 187 Louisville: Definitely gotten too slow. I think he's gone. Replace with pick or FA?

21 Haden, Joe CB 5-11 195 Florida: Starter...

31 Hilton, Mike CB 5-9 184 Mississippi: Proven he belongs...

24 Sensabaugh, Coty CB 5-11 187 Clemson: I don't think he proved he can hold a roster spot. Same scenario as WG...

34 Sutton, Cameron CB 5-11 188   Tennessee: Injured too long to get a good feel on him but he wasn't bad in the little play he got...

Brian Allen/UDFA  He was our 5th round pick... js

???

I wasnt saying Brian Allen was a UDFA.   I am saying that the roster spot could be filled by him or a UDFA we get this year

1 hour ago, MDSteeler1971 said:

We never had 7 ACTIVE CBs.   A big reason we kept that many around was injuries.

If we do keep 7, its still pretty much the same...

Joe Haden
Artie Burns
Mike Hilton
Mid-Range Free Agent CB (to replace Gay)
Cameron Sutton
Brian Allen
UDFA

The 6th and 7th CBs are highly unlikely to ever see the field unless our we are decimated by injury.   

I wont be shocked if we do take a CB, but my point is, Id rather sign a FA CB than draft a CB high this year.   Not huge on this CB class and I think we have way too many other needs.   Im hoping our new DB coach can help guys like Burns and Sutton develop into decent players.  The potential is there.

21 hours ago, MDSteeler1971 said:

29 Allen, Brian CB 6-3 215  Utah: Time to prove he can do the job

25 Burns, Artie CB 6-0 197 Miami (FL): Starter...

22 Gay, William CB 5-10 187 Louisville: Definitely gotten too slow. I think he's gone. Replace with pick or FA?

21 Haden, Joe CB 5-11 195 Florida: Starter...

31 Hilton, Mike CB 5-9 184 Mississippi: Proven he belongs...

24 Sensabaugh, Coty CB 5-11 187 Clemson: I don't think he proved he can hold a roster spot. Same scenario as WG...

34 Sutton, Cameron CB 5-11 188   Tennessee: Injured too long to get a good feel on him but he wasn't bad in the little play he got...

I have no interest in any of the free agent signings above. Say hey Willie Gay can say goodbye. As well as with Sensabaugh.

Probably looking at the draft to upgrade the DB situation. I'd really like to get like a Derwin James if he falls 10-15 range to replace Mike Mitchell

1 hour ago, Money said:

I have no interest in any of the free agent signings above. Say hey Willie Gay can say goodbye. As well as with Sensabaugh.

Probably looking at the draft to upgrade the DB situation. I'd really like to get like a Derwin James if he falls 10-15 range to replace Mike Mitchell

I doubt we see James. He's been upgraded to the top S in the draft per NFL.com  http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:s

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

The draft is deep in CBs.  While I can see them signing a FA I can also seen them drafting on with one of their 5th round picks.  all depends on how they see Allen coming along.

I would prefer we sign one if we can. Our record with drafting the (late particularly) isn't the best.

Archived