2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Crap.  Thought it was too good to be true for Ford.  I'd like Sheard as an option.  I'd see him as a younger version of Brooks.  I'm calling Fackrell as done as a pass rusher for us.  All the changes we've made, Thompson stepping down, our recent commitment to changing what doesn't work... I see no way Fackrell survives that and remains a pass rusher, so I see him converting to just a linebacker, not an edge or whatever you want to call it.  That leaves us with Matthews, Perry and Biegel as our pass rushers.  Don't talk to me about Odom.  It's never gonna happen. 

I would ideally like to add somebody like Sheard and then sign a tight end or a receiver instead of sign no tight end/receiver and sign somebody like Murphy, who will cost more. 

14 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Crap.  Thought it was too good to be true for Ford.  I'd like Sheard as an option.  I'd see him as a younger version of Brooks.  I'm calling Fackrell as done as a pass rusher for us.  All the changes we've made, Thompson stepping down, our recent commitment to changing what doesn't work... I see no way Fackrell survives that and remains a pass rusher, so I see him converting to just a linebacker, not an edge or whatever you want to call it.  That leaves us with Matthews, Perry and Biegel as our pass rushers.  Don't talk to me about Odom.  It's never gonna happen. 

I would ideally like to add somebody like Sheard and then sign a tight end or a receiver instead of sign no tight end/receiver and sign somebody like Murphy, who will cost more. 

Ford was not good last year. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. If he gets cut from KC, who would have to start Tanoh, I don't want him anyway

10 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Ford was not good last year. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. If he gets cut from KC, who would have to start Tanoh, I don't want him anyway

Ford was not good because he hardly played and when he did it was with a back injury.  If healthy he is rock solid.  What I don't get is why they would pick up his 5th year option just to cut him.  Is that for compensatory reasons?  I'm still hearing he may get cut.  

15 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

What I don't get is why they would pick up his 5th year option just to cut him.  Is that for compensatory reasons?  I'm still hearing he may get cut.  

The CHEFS have had a change in front office guys calling the shots. So earlier decisions by Dorsey may or may not be a part of the new plans going forward

Just now, Shanedorf said:

The CHEFS have had a change in front office guys calling the shots. So earlier decisions by Dorsey may or may not be a part of the new plans going forward

That makes sense.  I didn't realize it was Dorsey that picked up the 5th year option.  I thought it happened after he left.  Walter Football had him listed as a FA so I assumed the option year was a new transaction

Eyecatcher - I don't know the particulars, I'm just offering a possible explanation.

With all of the coaching and front office changes around the league, many players will find themselves looking for a new home. Last year, SF went through coaching and GM changes and GB grabbed Quentin Dial and Ahmad Brooks from them. This year, there's a whole new set of teams undergoing major changes (including the Packers)

List out the teams with new HCs, new DCs etc and that will produce a pool of players who aren't 2018 FA's,  but may become available.

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Eyecatcher - I don't know the particulars, I'm just offering a possible explanation.

With all of the coaching and front office changes around the league, many players will find themselves looking for a new home. Last year, SF went through coaching and GM changes and GB grabbed Quentin Dial and Ahmad Brooks from them. This year, there's a whole new set of teams undergoing major changes (including the Packers)

List out the teams with new HCs, new DCs etc and that will produce a pool of players who aren't 2018 FA's,  but may become available.

Agree with this....and would add those few teams that are tight against the cap or over.   PHI, PIT, among some others.  They will be cutting players or restructuring some players.  

55 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Ford was not good because he hardly played and when he did it was with a back injury.  If healthy he is rock solid.  What I don't get is why they would pick up his 5th year option just to cut him.  Is that for compensatory reasons?  I'm still hearing he may get cut.  

Agree to disagree. From the 2 dozen games I've seen, Ford is nothing special to me. Maybe above avg pass rusher who is an absolute liability in the run game, but I wouldn't spend $8m for him

2 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Agree to disagree. From the 2 dozen games I've seen, Ford is nothing special to me. Maybe above avg pass rusher who is an absolute liability in the run game, but I wouldn't spend $8m for him

Never said I'd spend 8 million but if hes a FA you probably won't have to.  

10 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I like the Trent Murphy idea.  Another guy I saw may be available is Dee Ford.  He also is coming off injury but could be a nice pass rush addition.  

I've been pushing for Fuller for a couple months now but I think he may end up back in Chicago.  

Don't you think the Bears will resign Fuller?  

Archived