2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Just now, dcerb44 said:

This is a massively violent sport that has destroyed many players bodies through the years. Why should any player unduly sacrifice their livelihood in a meaningless game? Why do teams have contact-less practice? 

You’re asking the wrong question then.  You should be questioning the holding of pre-season games if you’re afraid of injuries.  The games are held for a multitude of reasons, too many to list here, but knocking off the rust for veterans and giving the rooks a chance to shine are near the top.  Coaches get a chance to see where they’re at going into the regular season, which helps them make roster decisions.  If coaches are worried about key starters getting injured, they will hold them out.  If coach puts you in, there’s only one speed you should be going - full!

7 minutes ago, dcerb44 said:

By that logic Rodge is a massive wimp because he slid on that run. Should have went head first for more yards and taken on the contact. Should sit on the bench.

Completely different scenario - not even logical to use this as an analogy to the discussion.  Star QB’s giving themselves up is a part of the game - safeties holding back because it’s preseason, or, because their star QB is done for the year is substantially different.

Nobody has said pre-season games are useless. Well, at least from what I’ve read. They have their use for a variety of reasons. I don’t expect all the starters to place themselves in unnecessarily dangerous positions for the sake of it. There’s no sanctity to a glorified practice. 

We’d all be rightfully pissed if HaHa or anyone for that matter went out with a season ending injury. 

You still haven’t answered my question. Why do coaches have no contact practices? 

The Rodge example still works. He slides because it’s smart. Just like it’s smart for a player not to place themselves in a position where they can be severely injured. 

Are you asking for game type performance and effort in practice? Are they soft since they don’t beat the crap out of each other each day? 

32 minutes ago, dcerb44 said:

Nobody has said pre-season games are useless. Well, at least from what I’ve read. They have their use for a variety of reasons. I don’t expect all the starters to place themselves in unnecessarily dangerous positions for the sake of it. There’s no sanctity to a glorified practice. 

We’d all be rightfully pissed if HaHa or anyone for that matter went out with a season ending injury. 

You still haven’t answered my question. Why do coaches have no contact practices? 

The Rodge example still works. He slides because it’s smart. Just like it’s smart for a player not to place themselves in a position where they can be severely injured. 

Are you asking for game type performance and effort in practice? Are they soft since they don’t beat the crap out of each other each day? 

Why do coaches have no contact practices you ask?  Are you serious?  It’s a league rule.  Am I asking for game-type effort in practice and pre-season?  Yes, and I’d hope coaches expect the same.  I’m also pretty sure Pettine isn’t asking Haha or any other defensive player to give less than 100% during preseason games.  But please, feel free to continue making excuses for any players that want to give less than 100% anywhere, anytime they feel like they might get a boo-boo.  And if you think players should remove themselves from harms way in a game, where they’re expected to take on a blocker, or use their body to make a tackle, then football isn’t your sport.  Sliding QB’s are not even close to being the same, and it’s laughable that you’d suggest it is.

3 hours ago, Cheech said:

ZO1GN9.gif

FEhdYX.gif

So sorry.  My confidence in Haha Clinton-Dix is restored.  He'll be just fine.  

I love how you have this massive repository of gifs of our players sucking always handy. Lol

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I get what you’re saying, and Cheech is a little ornery today, but the safety position also concerns me.  Why take snaps in pre-season if you’re not going to make an effort?  If you’re a starter and you’re scared of getting hurt in pre-season, then tell the coach to put in the guys who are fighting for a roster position.  Taking snaps only to appease your coach, only to then disappoint by playing less than 50% seems counterintuitive.  The only way this scenario makes any sense is if the coaches are giving the “starters” the green light to play half-heartedly, and I doubt that was the case.

I don't think you get to tell the coach you don't want to play in PS and get away with it.

46 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Realistically, do we even have anyone behind him?

Not much. Evans, Jones, Brice, Whitehead, Rollins. I'm just saying if HHCD plays as ****ty as he did most of last season, I don't see us bringing him back, especially for what he's going to be wanting in terms of a contract. 

7 hours ago, Norm said:

I love how you have this massive repository of gifs of our players sucking always handy. Lol

You have Rudy Guiliani, rum and Coke, and Trevor Davis to thank for that.  

From now on, I may just speak in Gifs.

10 hours ago, Cheech said:

ZO1GN9.gif

FEhdYX.gif

So sorry.  My confidence in Haha Clinton-Dix is restored.  He'll be just fine.  

Why do you crop your GIF's so much?

As I pointed out elsewhere, on the top playHa Ha is out of position due to needing to make up for what appears to be an error by Alexander and Williams pre-snap.

I get the concept of Ha Ha losing enthusiasm as the season dragged on last year and the playoffs drifted away, but there were a lot of plays where stupidity of guys like Randall put Ha Ha in a very difficult position, and those acts of stupidity were rarely visible to the average viewer with limited views.

This is a defense that will take some time to gel given the changes in the defensive backfield.  I suggest we give it some time.  Let's see where Ha Ha is after week 8.

31 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I suggest we give it some time.  Let's see where Ha Ha is after week 8.

Uhh, no? We are competing for a SB, so waiting 8 weeks for your supposedly Pro Bowl-caliber safety to start playing well isn't going to cut it. The lights better come on Week 1 and stay on assuming he's truly "taking plays off because it's preseason." Not sure I buy that excuse, but whatever, it's irrelevant prior to Week 1. HaHa isn't some 2nd year player we are still evaluating to see whether he takes a "jump." He's a 5th year veteran expected to be a top leader on this defense. Hopefully he's up to the task. 

Archived