2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Just now, skibrett15 said:

What am I missing?  We have a chance to get a HOF player in his prime for a 1st round pick... that chance doesn't come around very often.

It comes around all the time when they're a year away from being obsolete.  The Jets got a Legend QB for a third round pick. 

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

HHCD is a FA next year.  Just give Thomas that money...

Of course I'm giving up on HHCD for Thomas.  He wants a new contract from Seattle.  They wouldn't give it to him.  He wants a new contract from anyone.  He will want to be here if we offer a new contract.

What am I missing?  We have a chance to get a HOF player in his prime for a 1st round pick... that chance doesn't come around very often.

It's interesting to contemplate.
Pettine was in Seattle all last year, so he'll have an idea what Thomas has left. Not sure that he's still in his prime. Thomas is smart as hell, but he is also a small dude who is aging.  His legs are his range and his game. With the young corners, having a talented and experienced FS like Thomas can surely help immensely - but if GB believes in HHCD, then why make the move ?

GB also had a shot at some talented safeties in the draft and took a pass, grabbing CBs instead. I had thought earlier that IF they were truly interested, that packaging Hundley + a pick might be a winning offer. Allegedly, Dallas offered a 2nd and was rebuffed. Can't see GB going higher than that and HHCD has better prospects long term. I am guessing they've had some initial conversations with HaHa's peeps to ascertain his interest in staying in GB and general signability.

12 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

HHCD is a FA next year.  Just give Thomas that money...

Of course I'm giving up on HHCD for Thomas.  He wants a new contract from Seattle.  They wouldn't give it to him.  He wants a new contract from anyone.  He will want to be here if we offer a new contract.

Thomas's prime is over. I remember watching him in prime LOB years vs now. He's got 1-2 years left of top 10 play. 

38 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That list is incredible uninspiring.

All those players are upgrades to players we have!!

On a somewhat serious note. I've never ever heard of Steven Means. 

But yes, that list is pretty stinky.. Simon would be alright. He's not some game changing pass rusher though. He's just the name showing up the most. 

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

HHCD has better prospects long term

Huh?  HHCD has better prospects than Earl Thomas over the next contract?  I just don't see that at all.  HHCD hasn't been an impact player for this team when the D was good or when the D was bad.  At his best he's looked reliable and above average.  At his worst he looks soft and overly cautious.  Thomas has never NOT been an impact player when on the field, including making some average to below average players like Brandon Browner look excellent.

Thomas' game is going to age gracefully since he had so much athleticism to spare.  He'd be the best punt returner on the team. 

Huh?  HHCD has better prospects than Earl Thomas over the next contract?  I just don't see that at all.  HHCD hasn't been an impact player for this team when the D was good or when the D was bad.  At his best he's looked reliable and above average.  At his worst he looks soft and overly cautious.  Thomas has never NOT been an impact player when on the field, including making some average to below average players like Brandon Browner look excellent.

Thomas' game is going to age gracefully since he had so much athleticism to spare.  He'd be the best punt returner on the team. 

Have you watched Thomas lately? His game already isn't aging gracefully. He's a sideline to sideline guy who's trusted his speed his whole career. Nothing about current Thomas inspires me. I'd give a 3rd round pick to play him on his deal and franchise him for another and then buh bye. Seahawks aren't interested in that. 1st? Helllllll no.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Good.  We need him ready to help crush the Bears spirits even more in week two, and we can use that second round pick on an interior offensive lineman next year so that we can draft a pass rusher with our first two picks (or a pass rusher and an offensive tackle), or a pass rusher and safety in one, a tackle in two and an IOL in three. 

Yep, I'd rather keep the picks. I know projecting where someone would go 7+ months out is stupid but, I'd much rather have some combination of Jonah Williams/Mitch Hyatt/Dalton Risner and Brian Burns/Montez Sweat/Porter Gustin than trading the pick and paying for a past his prime safety.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

His game already isn't aging gracefully.

Bob Sanders was another smaller dude ( sub 5-10)  at Safety and the end of his career was peppered with injuries and missed games. Troy Polamalu - same deal
Just a consideration as these "smaller" safeties reach 30 years of age.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Have you watched Thomas lately? His game already isn't aging gracefully. He's a sideline to sideline guy who's trusted his speed his whole career. Nothing about current Thomas inspires me. I'd give a 3rd round pick to play him on his deal and franchise him for another and then buh bye. Seahawks aren't interested in that. 1st? Helllllll no.

2 clips, both views, week 15, first 2 drives of first quarter.  Nothing inspires me LMAO!!!!!  If this doesn't inspire you I think you need to deal with some personal problems bruh.  This kind of play gets me FIRED UP.  This is simply a random game against a competitive team that I fired up from late in last season when ET was clearly their only good secondary guy.  I couldn't watch more than 10 plays before I found 2 where he is popping off the screen.

3rd and 10, sideline to sideline stops the WR short.

4EhelJJ.gif

zIIVkiS.gif

2nd and 11- Amazing play recognition, Closing speed, defends both the intended crossing route and potential scramble.

Xm35sCi.gif

9rNnOdp.gif

Earl Thomas is going to get paid over the next four years what he should be paid for this year, not the next three years as well. 

You'd essentially be giving up a 2nd round pick for one good year and having to pay a player more than he's worth.  It would be like having another Cobb against our cap. 

Earl Thomas will probably be elite this year.  He'll probably be good next year.  After that, probably not so much.

Give Jones a chance to prove what he's gonna be.  Every Packer fan hated Nick Collins for his first three years.  Then he became a Hall of Fame player before any of us knew what happened.

Draft and develop doesn't work if you just give up on players you draft for the first shiny 29-year-old player you can throw a second round pick at. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Give Jones a chance to prove what he's gonna be

Jones is on the fast track to being off the team next year, not a contributor for this team.  He didn't make an impact on Pettine and couldn't win a job.  Unless Mac and Pettine are both out I'd say it's more likely than not that Jones is on the bubble next year.

He couldn't beat out Brice.

Jones is on the fast track to being off the team next year, not a contributor for this team.  He didn't make an impact on Pettine and couldn't win a job.  Unless Mac and Pettine are both out I'd say it's more likely than not that Jones is on the bubble next year.

He couldn't beat out Brice.

Davante Adams was on the fast track to being off the team next year.

You're better than this nonsense. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Davante Adams was on the fast track to being off the team next year.

You're better than this nonsense. 

wut?  Davante always had a starting role or a very good player ahead of him,  and suffered in reputation here due to a very specific ankle injury and a few bad drops. 

Jones has Brice, mediocre UDFA as competition and hasn't been able to pick things up.

Things can change for Jones of course, but Brice is not going to become some good player who goes out and gets a nice contract from someone.  And failing to beat him out in a wide open competition is a really bad sign.  You don't cut bait on Jones because he's young cheap and athletic.  You're cutting bait on HHCD if you trade for Thomas.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That list is incredible uninspiring.

Compared to Fackrell, they look like Clay Matthews. We aren't talking about signing one of these guys long term, we're talking about adding a guy just for 2018 to help the pass rush some, especially in case of injury where opportunities will be more plentiful. 

Archived