2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

2 hours ago, Norm said:

All those players are upgrades to players we have!!

On a somewhat serious note. I've never ever heard of Steven Means. 

But yes, that list is pretty stinky.. Simon would be alright. He's not some game changing pass rusher though. He's just the name showing up the most. 

We're talking about upgrading Fackrell's spot, no one else. We all know at some point the No. 4 EDGE is going to have to play significant snaps, whether it be for one game or multiple. Again, where did this "we are fine at our EDGE depth" narrative come from? Lol. 

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

wut?  Davante always had a starting role or a very good player ahead of him,  and suffered in reputation here due to a very specific ankle injury and a few bad drops. 

Jones has Brice, mediocre UDFA as competition and hasn't been able to pick things up.

Things can change for Jones of course, but Brice is not going to become some good player who goes out and gets a nice contract from someone.  And failing to beat him out in a wide open competition is a really bad sign.  You don't cut bait on Jones because he's young cheap and athletic.  You're cutting bait on HHCD if you trade for Thomas.

Many many Many fans wanted him cut. I remember Justo leading that charge.

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Bob Sanders was another smaller dude ( sub 5-10)  at Safety and the end of his career was peppered with injuries and missed games. Troy Polamalu - same deal
Just a consideration as these "smaller" safeties reach 30 years of age.

Those examples were both in the box S's. Thomas is a centerfielder who isn't coming down and hammering play in and play out against the run. Both Sanders and TP were battering rams and both paid for it dearly. As Bob said Earl's speed has taken a hit but he'd be a great play for a 2 year plan but he'll be looking for a longer deal likely looking for a  3-4 year extension. Would be a good fit for us as another noted HHCD just hasn't shown it yet even with his PB year that was like some kind of crazy gift. I don't feel his play warranted the PB nod.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Jones is on the fast track to being off the team next year, not a contributor for this team.  He didn't make an impact on Pettine and couldn't win a job.  Unless Mac and Pettine are both out I'd say it's more likely than not that Jones is on the bubble next year.

He couldn't beat out Brice.

We read this about Nick Collins in 06 and 07 too.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Many many Many fans wanted him cut. I remember Justo leading that charge.

Patience can be a virtue especially with a salary cap. Most of the rooks are paid for might as well give them a chance to grow even if it takes some time.

18 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

We're talking about upgrading Fackrell's spot, no one else. We all know at some point the No. 4 EDGE is going to have to play significant snaps, whether it be for one game or multiple. Again, where did this "we are fine at our EDGE depth" narrative come from? Lol. 

John Simon isn't signing to be pass rusher 4.

And I didn't see anyone say that.

Just now, Norm said:

John Simon isn't signing to be pass rusher 4.

And I didn't see anyone say that.

Sure he will. We rotate EDGE player quite frequently. Simon is no big name guy. I don't even think he's ever started 16 games in a season. He's always been a rotational guy. 

Signing another EDGE player gives up more flexibility with Clay as well. He is best used when he's moved around. 

17 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think people need to learn that Davante Adams is much closer to the exception than the rule....

Crosby. Williams. Bahk. Collins.. Hayward. Hyde. Rodgers. All were given up on by many people. That list took me seconds to think of

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Sure he will. We rotate EDGE player quite frequently. Simon is no big name guy. I don't even think he's ever started 16 games in a season. He's always been a rotational guy. 

Signing another EDGE player gives up more flexibility with Clay as well. He is best used when he's moved around. 

He'd probably play more than Gilbert here. Snaps. But if you're like oh hey you will be OLB4 here, here's a one year deal. He's not going to jump for joy like you want him to to sign deal. Everything isn't as easy as you imagine.

The way I see it is similar skibrett15. You are either going to overpay for HHCD which I'm not a fan of. Or you are going to let him walk next season and then expect a rookie to replace him and basically rework our safety position, adding to our list of draft needs.  OR you can deal out some draft picks and get a player who is elite at that position.  The Seahawks defence looks completely different with or without him. I would do it a heartbeat. 

Ed Reed retired when he was 35 and in his last season as a Jet he had 3 ints and 4 pdef. At 33 Troy Polamalu had 2 sacks and 2 ints. Rodney Harrison played till he was 36. Brian Dawkins played till he was 37. Rod Woodson retired when he was 38 and his penultimate season had 8 ints.

I don't get where the idea that a 28 year old Earl Thomas only has 1 good year left in him, or if you signed him to a 4 year contract that at the age of 32 he wouldn't still be producing.

Well worth it I say.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We read this about Nick Collins in 06 and 07 too.

you can keep bringing up the exceptions and pretending they are as likely as the Patrick Lees and Aaron Rouses and Alex Greens and Jerel Worthys and Jerron McMillians and Khyri Thorntons and Quinten Rollinses but what I said was it's more likely that Jones is fighting for a spot next year than he is lighting it on fire.  If, by your second year, you are not injured and not even really in contention for a starting spot as a 2nd round pick, that lightbulb is probably not going to come on.  It could, but it's more likely not to.

And is anyone really here to argue that point or are you just trying to say "there's always a chance"

Of course there's a chance for Jones at this point.  But don't make that the plan at the position, and don't avoid making a move because there's a chance you may all of a sudden be deep at that position.

Archived