2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

10 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Eh, they're the vikings. It won't work out. :D

We need to shake this mindset. Minnesota has an excellent regime in place and are clearly one of the top 3 most talented teams in football. Gonna be an uphill battle for the North this year.

14 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Him next to Linval Joseph. Yikes

Vikes 2018 roster is one of the 3 best in the NFL right now. Fortunately, they have a lot of key guys hitting FA after this season and will likely lose a few of them. It's all in for them this year and they're certainly in position for it.

I agree.  Gotta respect their aggression and the fact they understand their window.  We haven't seen this sort of quality aggression from the Packers since Ron Wolf which a reason why this current tenured coaching staff and front office has made it to just one single Super Bowl.  Unfortunately with Minnesota moving leaps and bounds in front of us, another Super bowl appearance for AR12 is looking  pretty grim.  This team has a plethora of significant holes that we simply aren't going to fix with drafts and only drafts (IMO unless we have one of the most successful drafts in GBP history).  Time to make some moves or we're going to again find ourselves competing with Chicago for the bottom of the NFCN instead of Minnesota at the top. 

Minnesota isn't just better right now, their significantly better.  Richardson in a bonafied star and they just upgraded from a career back up QB who was utterly terrible in every location but Minnesota to a guy who played at a pro bowl level with some of the worst weapons in the NFL.  Gotta imagine that Cousins is going to have a career year with the nasty weapons Minnesota has on offense.  Gotta hope for a Eagles Super team type of implosion at this point.

13 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Eh, they're the vikings. It won't work out. :D

As much as I want to like this, that's what the Cowboys always said about the Eagles....

Regimes change. Now I'm not in love with the Vikings moves for the long term, but we're not the 2010 Packers anymore with a 20 something Aaron Rodgers. We need to be looking short term too and the arms race on offense is pretty equal, and our DLs will be close, but the backend is so far in their favor it's kind of sad.

1 minute ago, packerrfan74 said:

We need to shake this mindset. Minnesota has an excellent regime in place and are clearly one of the top 3 most talented teams in football. Gonna be an uphill battle for the North this year.

I see you're taking a sarcastic comment seriously... but not really. Everyone knows they have talent and are a good opponent. But the fact remains they perceptually find a way to fail. Their current HC needed a guy to literally let Diggs run past him to even get his first playoff victory and people want to act like he's more accomplished than MM & co. They also needed AR12 to be out all season. Despite the talent gap on defense, I think GB is firmly in that division race with Rodgers at QB all season.

They also have a new QB and new OC. While both look to be good on paper/reputation, things don't always work out like people think they will.

Also, despite the lack of current secondary talent, changing from Capers to Pettine shouldn't be overlooked.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

As much as I want to like this, that's what the Cowboys always said about the Eagles....

Regimes change. Now I'm not in love with the Vikings moves for the long term, but we're not the 2010 Packers anymore with a 20 something Aaron Rodgers. We need to be looking short term too and the arms race on offense is pretty equal, and our DLs will be close, but the backend is so far in their favor it's kind of sad.

So far... like top 32 to top 3 bad. We need to make some moves

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Agreed. But I'd say the gap at QB between Rodgers and Cousins (who I like) is still as considerable as the the talent gap vs the teams Secondaries. That's  pretty important. 

Let's not forget FA and the draft aren't over either. Development from young players needs to be considered too. Lotta ballgame left.

3 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

I see you're taking a sarcastic comment seriously... but not really. Everyone knows they have talent and are a good opponent. But the fact remains they perceptually find a way to fail. Their current HC needed a guy to literally let Diggs run past him to even get his first playoff victory and people want to act like he's more accomplished than MM & co. They also needed AR12 to be out all season. Despite the talent gap on defense, I think GB is firmly in that division race with Rodgers at QB all season.

They also have a new QB and new OC. While both look to be good on paper/reputation, things don't always work out like people think they will.

Also, despite the lack of current secondary talent, changing from Capers to Pettine shouldn't be overlooked.

I'd like to get to the point where I dont need to say that we need Aaron to go full Godgers mode for us to win it all. Seeing as how the man is the 15th highest paid QB in the league, we can no longer use the "franchise QB" price tag excuse. We should have a MUCH better roster around him then we do.

2 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Was it sarcastic? Becuase "lol vikings" "Detroit Lolions" etc. has been an ongoing joke since Rodgers took over. No one is touting Zimmer as more accomplished than MM, if they have I missed it. You're always in the race if Rodgers is your guy, but this is going to be a very telling season for the future of the Packers. Minnesota is clearly horsing up for a run at a trophy this year. Cousins can be what they need to get it done. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd like to get to the point where I dont need to say that we need Aaron to go full Godgers mode for us to win it all. Seeing as how the man is the 15th highest paid QB in the league, we can no longer use the "franchise QB" price tag excuse. We should have a MUCH better roster around him then we do.

I'm ready for a little less loyalty and a little more responsibility for production. The new regime makes me nervous but they are rocking the boat.

Archived