2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes, pretty much the stuff we've waited on since 2010 to happen and hasn't yet, needs to happen.

Every year we count on the year 2 jump and the rookies coming in to play well. Our plan B if that doesn't work has been an even younger and less touted player giving it a go.

Same stuff since 2010? Huh, that's funny because I think Wilkerson and Graham double the amount of big free agents GB has acquired in the past ~20 years and 2018 free agency isn't over yet.

MN might have a nice season this year but they are gonna find out how hard it is to stay on top while paying their QB top dollar and drafting towards the end of every round every year.   Cousins is a nice QB but he is getting paid like he is elite but he really isn't.  He can't carry a team like Brady and AR can and come 2019 there is no way the Vikes can keep that defense together with the salary cap.  If Gutey can fix the back end of the defense it won't be a cakewalk for MN to win the NFCN this season.

Just now, ArthurPensky said:

Same stuff since 2010? Huh, that's funny because I think Wilkerson and Graham double the amount of big free agents GB has acquired in the past ~20 years and 2018 free agency isn't over yet.

That's great and all but I don't care about the offense. We could've signed Ed Dickson and been fine there, so that's whatever.

Wilkerson is great, but he's our 3rd DL.

We've died each year based on pass rush and pass defense and right now we're the worst we've ever been in the Rodgers era there.

That's great and all but I don't care about the offense. We could've signed Ed Dickson and been fine there, so that's whatever.

We've died each year based on pass rush and pass defense and right now we're the worst we've ever been in the Rodgers era there.

Amen. 2018 season started like all of 2 days ago. I wanted moves in the secondary too but need to reserve judgement for a bit longer as more can happen.

2 minutes ago, Pugger said:

MN might have a nice season this year but they are gonna find out how hard it is to stay on top while paying their QB top dollar and drafting towards the end of every round every year.   Cousins is a nice QB but he is getting paid like he is elite but he really isn't.  He can't carry a team like Brady and AR can and come 2019 there is no way the Vikes can keep that defense together with the salary cap.  If Gutey can fix the back end of the defense it won't be a cakewalk for MN to win the NFCN this season.

Vikings have been drafting at the end of the first round for a while now and have been hitting on their picks hard anyway.

i agree with the QB part, but their drafting has been stellar until proven otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

One, in 2015. They went 13-3 this year, you don't need any better QB play then what they had with that defense. They locked themselves into 3 more years of it.

I'm saying don't be surprised to see a decline in QB production this year. Everyone is penciling that in as an upgrade for them.

As dubz said too, they were remarkably healthy on defense last year.

I dunno, I don't see anything especially great about them. They certainly aren't anywhere near the 12, 13, 14 Seattle teams or anything.

I don't know if losing Randall is the death knell some think it is.  Yes, he was a first round pick but was he really playing like one?  I find it telling the Browns are moving him to safety.  Like you always said lately - FA is just starting and we haven't had the draft.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Has cousins even had a better year in his career than keenum did last year? 

Cousins has had 3 straight years of over 4000 yards passing, 25+ tds, higher Y/A than Keenum last year, and a qb rating above 90.

Just now, ArthurPensky said:

Amen. 2018 season started like all of 2 days ago.

Yup, and I'd say all of the pass defense difference makers are gone, save Mathieu. So hopefully we can get a place holder or two that can hold his own. Pass rushers never hit the market, so we've always been looking at the draft there, albeit now with gaping needs at CB and #2 WR. I'm not counting on the trade fairy just granting us access to a good CB at this point, the guys that GMs sought to move are off their rosters at this point. The NFL off-season is 6 months long, but I'd say 50% of the activity happens in the first 2 days, so that excuse doesn't really work.

2 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Vikings have been drafting at the end of the first round for a while now and have been hitting on their picks hard anyway.

i agree with the QB part, but their drafting has been stellar until proven otherwise.

5 of their last 8 seasons have been .500 or worse...

1 minute ago, ArthurPensky said:

So like if King, Adams, Jones, and the Riegel Biegel develop into to be players they were drafted to be? If Wilkerson and Graham earn the money they were paid? Some high draft spicks are not horrible players? that kind of "insane stuff"?

Yeah, I'd clarify that as insane.  An entire draft class developing faster and better than any class we've ever seen before?  Guys like Adams and Biegel going from rookies that showed little to nothing as rookies to difference making sophomores?  When was the last time a team see that sort of crazy and unrealistic development from a draft class?  Just as likely to have Kyler Fackrell develop into a 15 sack pass rushing demon.  While anything can happen, its highly unlikely and extremely unrealistic.  If that's what we need, we're screwed IMO.

2 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Steller? like Floyd Treadwell and their Oline picks?

Just now, incognito_man said:

5 of their last 8 seasons have been .500 or worse...

Damn. Could have fooled me. Point made but even still, I’d like to see them draft a few more Pattersons and a few less Kendricks and Rhodes going forward 

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm saying don't be surprised to see a decline in QB production this year. Everyone is penciling that in as an upgrade for them.

As dubz said too, they were remarkably healthy on defense last year.

I dunno, I don't see anything especially great about them. They certainly aren't anywhere near the 12, 13, 14 Seattle teams or anything.

I don't see it. Cousins is a more talented player than Keenum, that's evident. Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph, Cook is far better than anything Washington ever gave him to work with.

Archived