2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

The cut that gave the Packers the Super Bowl.  Breeland is going to jump a route on a pass intended for JuJu Smith-Schuster and return it 56 yards for the go-ahead touchdown in a tie game with 37 seconds left in the Super Bowl. 

33 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

The numbers he has put up put him pretty close to that. I'd say he's somewhere 10-15.

Guys I'd take over him:

( No order)

1. Rodgers

2. Brady

3. Rothilburger

4. Wilson

5. Wentz

6. Brees

7. Newton

8. Ryan.

9. Luck

10. Rivers

11. Stafford

Cousins-tier

Carr, Dak, Smith, Cousins

Difficult to argue with this and I'd throw in Mariotta and the kid for the Rams with cousins tier. Maybe even the Texans kid who tore his ACL. Cousins is going to be a big, bust. 

I'm wondering on the Cousins vs. Keenum front, how much will the departure of Shurmur impact the offense? 

Shurmur tailored his offense to suit the skillset of Keenum, and allow him to succeed.  Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that Keenum suddenly developed into a very solid QB after all these years.  In fact, his games in weeks 2 and 4 against the Steelers and Lions, show that he really wasn't very good until Shurmur had time to work with him as the QB1.  DeFilippo is not going to walk in and replace what Shurmur could do, even with a better QB.

I also think it will be interesting to see how much Pettine knows about DeFilippo's offense, considering they worked together with the Jets, and Pettine brought DeFilippo onto his Browns' staff.  My guess is that he has some intimate knowledge of what DeFilippo's tendencies are - 2 years is not enough to completely revamp an offensive playbook.

We should begin to start hearing soon about which visits Mathieu will be making. That should be our first clue whether or not we're in the races.

It wouldn't surprise me if New Orleans is his no.1 target as its his hometown but as far as I can tell they got barely any cap room.

Pittsburgh would be a fit. They are playoff contenders and have a proud defensive history. I can totally see Mathieu in that Polamalu role. Unfortunately they don't have much cap space either.

Houston has to be seriously considered. He would remain in a warm weather climate and puts him a bit closer to New Orleans. Their defence is solid and their offence is getting better. They also has plenty of cap space.

And of course there's us and he would be an excellent fit for many reasons. The Jets has to be considered but he banged the HC step-daughter so I don't know lol. Seattle would suit his personality but they're in transition and may not be playoff contenders for a year or two.

All those defences play lots of 3-4 concepts which I believe best suits Mathieu. However with the increased use of 4-2-5 defences (which plays 3 safeties) due to the increased use of receiving tight ends and three- or four-wide receiver packages, defenses around the league prefer the versatility of an extra safety who has coverage skills as well as the ability to play the run. This means that Mathieu literally could plug and play in any team in the NFL, no wonder he's so sought after.

Under Capers we played alot of 2-4-5 defence. That philosphy in my view did not work as we would not generate enough pressure on the QB that the 4-2-5 defences would've provided. I suspect that would change under Pettine and the aquisition of Wilkerson hints towards that. Combined with Matthews at linebacker it could point to us playing some 3-3-5 defence.

Whether it is 2-4-5 / 4-2-5 / 3-3-5, one thing they all have in common is they play 3 safeties. I can now begin to understand why we drafted Randall because we saw the potential of his versatility between corner, safety and slot in various packages as well as his ball hawking abilties. It was his lack of discipline, poor tackling and footwork that made him a liability more often than not, his bad moments outweighed the number of good moments he made for us. Coupled with his attitude problems it just didn't work out despite his obvious talent.

I would like to think we are one of the favourites for signing Mathieu as he would directly fill the Randall void. We would still need to figure out CB2 position as I don't think he would be able to play there.

Is their any way to delay a signing bonus? Maybe we give him like a 1m signing bonus and then a nice roster bonus if he's on the team Aug 1st? Protect yourself from if something weird happened. I mean he cut his foot, unless it's so deep it cut ligaments I can't see it being that bad.

20 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The cut that gave the Packers the Super Bowl.  Breeland is going to jump a route on a pass intended for JuJu Smith-Schuster and return it 56 yards for the go-ahead touchdown in a tie game with 37 seconds left in the Super Bowl. 

Interesting did the Steelers trade Ju Ju to the Patriots? Otherwise why is he in the super bowl against gb? Haha

Just now, Green19 said:

Interesting did the Steelers trade Ju Ju to the Patriots? Otherwise why is he in the super bowl against gb? Haha

Now you've ruined it.  When we don't win the Super Bowl this year, everyone can blame Green19. 

Archived