2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

I'm definitely in favor of signing Reid and am made deeply uncomfortable by this notion that teams are unwilling to sign guys who are exercising their right to free speech in a frankly laudable way.  Particularly given the Venn diagram of "Folks mad at Reid" and "Folks who think political correctness has gone too far" is a circle.

24 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm definitely in favor of signing Reid and am made deeply uncomfortable by this notion that teams are unwilling to sign guys who are exercising their right to free speech in a frankly laudable way.  Particularly given the Venn diagram of "Folks mad at Reid" and "Folks who think political correctness has gone too far" is a circle.

It's baffling to me that this is still going on. The Eagles just won the Super Bowl with a litany of socially active players and they had millions at their parade. This whole the NFL is hurt by kneeling and SJW's is the most overblown story today. If you win it's a complete non issue and shouldn't be an issue to begin with. The guy is a 26 year old pro bowler, get him signed. If nothing else he would be insurance if HaHa's regression continues and/or Jones busts. This is a no-brainer. 

People complain that NFL players don't use their status to be positive role models or spread a good message.

Eric Reid is taking advantage of that and being a voice for millions. Good for him. Would love to have a guy like him on the team. 

To get back to football though... do we really need a FA safety? I feel pretty comfortable with what we have there. 

15 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

People complain that NFL players don't use their status to be positive role models or spread a good message.

Eric Reid is taking advantage of that and being a voice for millions. Good for him. Would love to have a guy like him on the team. 

To get back to football though... do we really need a FA safety? I feel pretty comfortable with what we have there. 

I understand your point but if we can upgrade from Brice to Reid on a reasonable salary (i.e. Burnett's or lower), I don't see why you wouldn't do it.

12 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

And some people complain about fans who follow the Packers to watch football not getting on board to support the likes of a Martellus Bennett "spreading a good message."

If Reid wants to spread his non-football related messages, he of course has every right to do so.

I just will not waste my time nor my money subsidizing those messages.

Just like if I want to spread the message that Martellus Bennett and his brother are a couple of POSs, Reid and his brethren can continue to take the position the Bennetts are just misunderstood victims of society.

47 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Hey players have a right to free speech that's fine.  Kneeling during the national anthem and disrespecting the flag is not the way to go about it.  They want to take up activist causes fine do it on their own time.  

14 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Hey players have a right to free speech that's fine.  Kneeling during the national anthem and disrespecting the flag is not the way to go about it.  They want to take up activist causes fine do it on their own time.  

I do not think there is anything "disrespectful" about kneeling, particularly because Kaep started doing so after talking to combat veterans who suggested "kneeling" as a "more respectful" than sitting.  Kneeling is a thing people do in church, when they ask someone to marry them, etc.  It is an inherently respectful gesture in our cultural context.  People are more mad about the message, than the means used to convey it.

Full stop there is no value whatsoever in rote patriotism rituals save for one being able to make a point by opting out.  If everyone just does the thing because it is expected, then it means nothing.

24 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

And some people complain about fans who follow the Packers to watch football not getting on board to support the likes of a Martellus Bennett "spreading a good message."

If Reid wants to spread his non-football related messages, he of course has every right to do so.

I just will not waste my time nor my money subsidizing those messages.

Just like if I want to spread the message that Martellus Bennett and his brother are a couple of POSs, Reid and his brethren can continue to take the position the Bennetts are just misunderstood victims of society.

Wow. 

Im pretty sure we watch Football for the same reasons.. not sure why you would have an issue with guys using their platform. 

So what is your stance on the NFL wearing pink to support breast cancer or camo for the military? I’m guessing you’re okay with that right?

Your post reeks of old time ignorance. 

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

I think people should educate themselves on the history of the national anthem and military salutes at NFL games. It is a paid propaganda scheme to feed the feeling of patriotism funded by our tax dollars. They didn't even start coming out for the anthem until 2009. 

Aside from that, I assume if they were protesting something that you "cared" about you wouldn't have a problem with it. Let's say the government repealed the 2nd amendment and players kneeled/sat in protest of that. I bet 99.9% of people mad at Reid and others for kneeling would change their tone in a heartbeat. Maybe try and empathize with someone and understand where they are coming from. We would all be in a better place if that were the case. 

Back to free agency now please...

Archived