2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

3 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

Why would anyone have their eyes on Da Bares from "a football standpoint" <sic> -?

A roster full of holes rolling the dice on a new head coach?? Well, sign me right the f*** up!

'Not the brightest bulb, clearly.

When they say it wasn't about the money, it was about the money. ;) 

Most players go full politician mode when coming to a new team - a way to endear themselves to a new fanbase. 

Robinson is also a soon to be 25 yr old who is in the middle of his rehab from a torn ACL, and with football careers being so short, I'd be looking for the most money possible right now too(maybe his last chance at a big payday). Bears offered him that. The rest of the stuff is fluff for the Bears fans to fawn over with their new WR. It's already playing well with their fan base

Maybe if Robinson already had his big contract and was like 30-31 yrs old he'd settle for a bit less to play on a contending team, but at this stage in his career, wins/playoffs aren't as important as $$$. I don't blame him one bit either

6 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

He chose the Bears because they offered more guaranteed money is what I got from that

He literally said, "All things being equal..."  As in, all offers being equal, I chose Chicago over Green Bay. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

He literally said, "All things being equal..."  As in, all offers being equal, I chose Chicago over Green Bay. 

I wouldn’t take that in a literal sense. Not the best look saying you went to the place who offered you the most money.

Just now, pollino14 said:

I wouldn’t take that in a literal sense.

At what point can we start taking it literally when players and former personnel say people don't want to sign in Green Bay over other places?  When McKenzie said it, McKenzie was "defending his boss," even though the boss he was allegedly defending was no longer his boss when he said it.  Woodson said it.  Other players have said it.  Now Robinson says "all things being equal," he'd still choose Chicago.

To me, it's him saying that Green Bay would have had to pay more than another team to get him to sign with us.  Don't know why it's so hard for some people to accept that a player would absolutely choose a 2.7 million population on a Great Lake over a .1 million population on a Great Lake. 

You can't tell me he honestly felt better about Trubisky and Nagy over Rodgers and McCarthy. 

At some point people are going to have to start accepting it as fact.  Especially when people come out and say it. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

At what point can we start taking it literally when players and former personnel say people don't want to sign in Green Bay over other places?  When McKenzie said it, McKenzie was "defending his boss," even though the boss he was allegedly defending was no longer his boss when he said it.  Woodson said it.  Other players have said it.  Now Robinson says "all things being equal," he'd still choose Chicago.

To me, it's him saying that Green Bay would have had to pay more than another team to get him to sign with us.  Don't know why it's so hard for some people to accept that a player would absolutely choose a 2.7 million population on a Great Lake over a .1 million population on a Great Lake. 

You can't tell me he honestly felt better about Trubisky and Nagy over Rodgers and McCarthy. 

At some point people are going to have to start accepting it as fact.  Especially when people come out and say it. 

You simply can’t say you chose a team strictly for the money.  We’ll never know if our contract offer was equal but I’m gonna bet it wasn’t. 

Just now, pollino14 said:

You simply can’t say you chose a team strictly for the money.  We’ll never know if our contract offer was equal but I’m gonna bet it wasn’t.

Avery Williamson just did.  James Jones admitted it.  I'll take Robinson at what he says, not what I want him to have said. 

41 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

You simply can’t say you chose a team strictly for the money.  

Not being argumentative - but if true - sure you can say exactly that.

It's a job. He was applying for a job. Since when cant you say you took the highest offer?

50 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Your taking a guys word who JUST SIGNED WITH THE BEARS, that if offers were equal he would still have signed with them. Did you get that he just signed with the Bears? What do you expect him to say? Glad to be hear but good thing you offered more money because if the offers were equal I’d be a Packer.

Come in HZ! You might actually be right but that’s a bad argument. 

I’ll bet, if they didn’t have a young QB he would feel the other way too. (But never say it)

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Not being argumentative - but if true - sure you can say exactly that.

It's a job. He was applying for a job. Since when cant you say you took the highest offer?

I guess you can say it, but if im an employer and hear that someone is making a decision solely based on money, it’s going to make me feel different about them ( some professions more than others). I’d want more values to be considered when selecting a position than just money.

2 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

I guess you can say it, but if im an employer and hear that someone is making a decision solely based on money, it’s going to make me feel different about them ( some professions more than others). I’d want more values to be considered when selecting a position than just money.

Thats fine. Not a problem, but in this context - read: my recent hire will be subjected to interviews - I'll recognize the EASIEST way for him to chill the interview is to keep it simple. They're paying the most money. I think that'll jive with most all job applicants.....cause it makes sense. Again - not worth deep exploration IMO. I just thought to offer a perspective to your comment.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It's hard to take literally because he followed it up by "Chicago was a place I had my eyes on from a football standpoint." He would produce like crazy in GB and Arod, it's a die roll with Chicago and Trub. Haven't seen playoffs since 2010 season. And suck. Always. ;)

Then he talks about being close to home being a small factor. This could be true. But it also makes him look like a good family man for free. I doubt anyone has followed signing anywhere by saying "Screw my family! I'm off to make the most money whereever I can! YOLO!"

Look, I can believe GB is not an attractive destination. It probably takes us off the board for some players, may be the tiebreaker for others. What percentage of 'em? Hard to tell. I tend to think that these are pros faced with a potentially very short career, so you try to max the cash, especially guarantees, no matter where you have to go for it. 

I won't start taking player press releases or team comments literally any time soon. Too much history of propagande there. 

Archived