2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Kevin King played an extensive amount of snaps?  380.  Jones was at 700+.  That's a lot of snaps.  700.  You know that Josh Hawkins played more snaps than King?  Randall as a rookie had 750.  King was banged up and didn't play much at all.

Running back.  Jones is coming off of injury.  Williams is no game breaker.  Monty is injury prone.  

I look at the roster from this point last year to where it is now.  Rodgers is Rodgers.

2015 was a killer draft.  

Sorry, but I don't see the improvement as I have in the past.  King is still an injury risk, Mo quit on his team last year, Jimmy is fine.  Corner is much worse.  And it is a passing league.

Sure things can get better with second wave free agents, Matthews would help.  Breaux would be okay, but again, we are adding two injury risk guys to this team.  

If you want to be more optimistic, have at it.  

A good amount of semantics in here. 380 snaps is still more than 22 per game, so whatever. Regardless, King and Jones were both counted on at one point to contribute in a big way to the team. That's typically a good thing moving forward. I was never big on King going into and coming from the draft. But, it's hard to understate what an additional year and a healthy shoulder could mean for him in 2018.

I'm not trying to be optimistic. I'm trying to keep level-headed until September. That's a long ways away and a lot could change.

19 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Kevin King played an extensive amount of snaps?  380.  Jones was at 700+.  That's a lot of snaps.  700.  You know that Josh Hawkins played more snaps than King?  Randall as a rookie had 750.  King was banged up and didn't play much at all.

Running back.  Jones is coming off of injury.  Williams is no game breaker.  Monty is injury prone.  

I look at the roster from this point last year to where it is now.  Rodgers is Rodgers.

2015 was a killer draft.  

Sorry, but I don't see the improvement as I have in the past.  King is still an injury risk, Mo quit on his team last year, Jimmy is fine.  Corner is much worse.  And it is a passing league.

Sure things can get better with second wave free agents, Matthews would help.  Breaux would be okay, but again, we are adding two injury risk guys to this team.  

If you want to be more optimistic, have at it.  

400 snaps is plenty to get an evaluation, we're not talking Montravious Adams here. Jones' injury was an MCL sprain, come on, you're acting like it was a torn achilles. Mo likes money, Mo has no guarantee for money unless he steps up this year. King is not an injury risk any more than any other player on the roster, his shoulder was surgically repaired thus he is 100%.

You sound way more pessimist than realist.

Is having faith the same as optimistic?

*We got better the minute Capers walked out the door. His misuse of talent was catastrophic.

*took another step forward by hiring Pettine

*the offensive playbook was over complicated and stagnant.  Philbin will be a cleansing, calming effect there.

*The 2016 draft should develop a little more. Spriggs WILL be fine.  Pettine should squeeze Fack to his potential. Martinez and Clark   are already on their way. Third year for Lowry, Fack and Davis. Put up or be gone.

*2017 draft talent hasn't hardly been scratched yet.  Incomplete grades for Adams and Biegel.  King and Jones could take a big step forward this year.

The last five years have seen little help from rookies.  I believe that's because the damn playbooks became so intricate and complicated that new additions couldn't contribute.  A fresh outlook, fresh playbook and a new way of doing things is just what the doctor ordered.  I believe we have better personnel than we think.  Look for this years rookies to contribute sooner than previous classes.  If even only half of the draft picks from the last two years improve...we're better.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

The two best moves, in my mind, that GB has made this off-season is Philbin and Pettine.

Rodgers will always give them a chance.  Rookies at corner can have impact.  Edge rushers?  Okay impact, but those guys typically turn it on in years 2 and later.

Vets in free agency now are still there for a reason.  Diminishing play, age, injury concerns.  I don't count on them at all.  Will be happily surprised if one produces nicely, and I think that Matthews could.

I believe that if Rodgers is to serious contend for another title, it will be because some younger kids take huge steps forward.  Looking at the continued development of Kenny Clark, Blake Martinez and Davante Adams.  And they could all get better.  Would be nice for 2017 draft class to step up...King, Josh, Adams, Biegle.

Adams and Biegle step up? I'd be happy if they just showed up! Same with King. Both King and Biegle must have been flagged for medical. TT drafted them anyway. He must have planned on red-shirting them last year. So this year they just have to show up healthy and give rookie level performance. That would make me happy. 

5 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

damn, now we need another terrible WR with great measurables who fans can clamor for when the passing game is sputtering. Who will it be now!

very good gunner though so that hurts the ST a bit

You know there will be several this August. The moment he catches a pass from Joe Callahan, it will be all over. 

Janis got it done on the field, you can't argue that. 

Rodgers unwillingness to work with guys who can't recite the playbook verbatim is a little ridiculous. We were missing speed all season and refused to play one of the few guys with it. He will go ball for Cleveland.

Archived